Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld Comm Interference In Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

During my flight home from AirVenture, I decided to test my handheld radio in flight. There was so much hum that it was unusable. This was a low-ish frequency hum, not pulsing. Definitely not what I have heard in the past as a higher frequency "alternator whine."
Here are the details:
I have the Yaesu Vertext FTA 550 handheld VHF radio. It works great on the ground.
I plugged in the Yaesu headset adapter into the radio. I plugged my headset into the adapter. 
I have a second comm antenna on the airplane but, since the second comm radio is not installed, I have the coax with BNC connector readily available under the front of the instrument panel. I connected the second comm antenna to the handheld. The two comm antennas are mounted on top of the airplane, about 3 feet apart.
I tuned to a nearby ASOS. The audio was buried under such a loud hum that I could barely hear it. I tried a different ASOS; same result. I turned off the comm radio in my panel and the hum was still present. I did not try transmitting.
The in-panel comm radio (a VAL COM 2000) does not have any hum.
Other devices in the airplane which were turned on at the time:
  • Lycoming engine with primary and backup B&C alternators with B&C voltage regulators. Ignition is from two newly rebuilt magnetos.
  • PS Engineering audio panel.
  • VAL NAV 2000 VOR/ILS/GS receiver.
  • AeroLEDS landing lights on wig-wag 
  • AeroLEDS Pulsar NSP wingtip lights with strobes on but nav/position lights off.
  • MGL iEFIS system
  • iPad and smartphone

What ideas do you have? Carrying a handheld radio for backup communication is kind of pointless if I can't communicate with it.
    -- Art Z.
--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jmackenzie52(at)outlook.c

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

Please remove me from email list!

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:23 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight

During my flight home from AirVenture, I decided to test my handheld radio in flight. There was so much hum that it was unusable. This was a low-ish frequency hum, not pulsing. Definitely not what I have heard in the past as a higher frequency "alternator whine."

Here are the details:

I have the Yaesu Vertext FTA 550 handheld VHF radio. It works great on the ground.

I plugged in the Yaesu headset adapter into the radio. I plugged my headset into the adapter.

I have a second comm antenna on the airplane but, since the second comm radio is not installed, I have the coax with BNC connector readily available under the front of the instrument panel. I connected the second comm antenna to the handheld. The two comm antennas are mounted on top of the airplane, about 3 feet apart.

I tuned to a nearby ASOS. The audio was buried under such a loud hum that I could barely hear it. I tried a different ASOS; same result. I turned off the comm radio in my panel and the hum was still present. I did not try transmitting.

• Lycoming engine with primary and backup B&C alternators with B&C voltage regulators. Ignition is from two newly rebuilt magnetos.
  • AeroLEDS Pulsar NSP wingtip lights with strobes on but nav/position lights off.
  • MGL iEFIS system
  • iPad and smartphone

What ideas do you have? Carrying a handheld radio for backup communication is kind of pointless if I can't communicate with it.

-- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/ Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:30 AM Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:

Quote:
Here are the details:
  • MGL iEFIS system
  • iPad and smartphone

-- Art Z.

Hmmm (pardon the pun).
More details?
Was the handheld powered from ship's power or its internal batteries?  

Did you try it with the handheld's rubber ducky antenna?
Does 'on the ground' mean without the engine running & everything powered off except the handheld?
Have you tested sitting on the ground with engine running and normal stuff powered up as typical for flight?
If you get the same noise in the above condition, I'd try shutting stuff down one at a time until everything's off or until the hum stops.
Charlie

chaskuss(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

Art,
Do you get the hum if you use the Rubber Ducky antenna?

Charlie

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 9:39:49 AM EDT, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name> wrote:

Here are the details:
  • MGL iEFIS system
  • iPad and smartphone

-- Art Z.
--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

All good suggestions. I'll add turn off your phone and Ipad, remove any
power adapters for them from 12 volt sockets. They are all known RF
generators.

On 8/4/2019 6:46 AM, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:

I plugged in the Yaesu headset adapter into the radio. I plugged my
headset into the adapter.

* Lycoming engine with primary and backup B&C alternators with B&C
voltage regulators. Ignition is from two newly rebuilt magnetos.
* PS Engineering audio panel.
* VAL NAV 2000 VOR/ILS/GS receiver.
* AeroLEDS landing lights on wig-wag
* AeroLEDS Pulsar NSP wingtip lights with strobes on but
nav/position lights off.
* MGL iEFIS system
* iPad and smartphone

What ideas do you have? Carrying a handheld radio for backup
communication is kind of pointless if I can't communicate with it.

-- Art Z.

Hmmm (pardon the pun).
More details?
Was the handheld powered from ship's power or its internal batteries?
Did you try it with the handheld's rubber ducky antenna?
Does 'on the ground' mean without the engine running & everything
powered off except the handheld?
Have you tested sitting on the ground with engine running and normal
stuff powered up as typical for flight?
If you get the same noise in the above condition, I'd try shutting stuff
down one at a time until everything's off or until the hum stops.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

Please remove my email from the list.

Thanks

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com>

All good suggestions. I'll add turn off your phone and Ipad, remove any
power adapters for them from 12 volt sockets. They are all known RF
generators.

On 8/4/2019 6:46 AM, Charlie England wrote:
>
>
>
> I plugged in the Yaesu headset adapter into the radio. I plugged my
> headset into the adapter.
>
>
> The in-panel comm radio (a VAL COM 2000) does not have any hum.
>
> Other devices in the airplane which were turned on at the time:
>
> * Lycoming engine with primary and backup B&C alternators with B&C
> voltage regulators. Ignition is from two newly rebuilt magnetos.
> * PS Engineering audio panel.
> * VAL NAV 2000 VOR/ILS/GS receiver.
> * AeroLEDS landing lights on wig-wag
> * AeroLEDS Pulsar NSP wingtip lights with strobes on but
> nav/position lights off.
> * MGL iEFIS system
> * iPad and smartphone
>
> What ideas do you have? Carrying a handheld radio for backup
> communication is kind of pointless if I can't communicate with it.
>
> -- Art Z.
>
> Hmmm (pardon the pun).
> More details?
> Was the handheld powered from ship's power or its internal batteries?
> Did you try it with the handheld's rubber ducky antenna?
> Does 'on the ground' mean without the engine running & everything
> powered off except the handheld?
> Have you tested sitting on the ground with engine running and normal
> stuff powered up as typical for flight?
> If you get the same noise in the above condition, I'd try shutting stuff
> down one at a time until everything's off or until the hum stops.
>
> Charlie
>
===========
ric-List Email Forum -
Electric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight Reply with quote

Please remove my email from the list.

Thanks

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Charles Kuss <chaskuss(at)yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: Handheld Comm Interference In Flight

Art,
Do you get the hum if you use the Rubber Ducky antenna?

Charlie

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 9:39:49 AM EDT, Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name> wrote:

Here are the details:

• MGL iEFIS system
  • iPad and smartphone

-- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/ Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: