Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sifting design goals and establishing protocols

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Sifting design goals and establishing protocols Reply with quote

On 1/6/2019 8:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

Do a Z-14 and make them totally independent
of each other.

This is what I implemented on my RV-10. I did a very straight up Z-14
with 40 and 20 amp alternators. For the first 500 hours or so I've
flown with the 2 buses interconnected. Regulator voltage levels were
staggered but not on purpose. My usual operational procedure was to
start on 1 battery with my (3) power hungry, unswitched MFDs running on
the other battery. Bob helped me understand that this was exactly the
opposite of the way I should be running things.

After swapping out the light weight starter that came with the Van's
engine package (too high a momentary current draw turning over the
IO540), I began doing all starts with both batteries and buses
interconnected. Then I disconnect them for flight. I've run that way
for the last 600 hours.

Running on 2 separate batteries, alternators and buses makes most any
failure both readily apparent and easily recoverable in flight. At one
point I had a LRC3 fail but the Z-14 made it reasonable for me continue
my multi-leg trip, VFR-only, before returning to my home shop for repair.

The Z-14 is a very robust design and easy to implement in the RV-10.
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List



Z-14_Power_Distribution_N215TG.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Z-14_Power_Distribution_N215TG.pdf
 Filesize:  35.8 KB
 Downloaded:  19 Time(s)

Back to top
supik



Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sifting design goals and establishing protocols Reply with quote

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
On 1/6/2019 8:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

� Do a Z-14 and make them totally independent
� of each other.


This is what I implemented on my RV-10.� I did a very straight up Z-14
with 40 and 20 amp alternators.� For the first 500 hours or so I've
flown with the 2 buses interconnected.� Regulator voltage levels were
staggered but not on purpose.� My usual operational procedure was to
start on 1 battery with my (3) power hungry, unswitched MFDs running on
the other battery.� Bob helped me understand that this was exactly the
opposite of the way I should be running things.

After swapping out the light weight starter that came with the Van's
engine package (too high a momentary current draw turning over the
IO540), I began doing all starts with both batteries and buses
interconnected.� Then I disconnect them for flight. � I've run that way
for the last 600 hours.

Running on 2 separate batteries, alternators and buses makes most any
failure both readily apparent and easily recoverable in flight.� At one
point I had a LRC3 fail but the Z-14 made it reasonable for me continue
my multi-leg trip, VFR-only,� before returning� to my home shop for repair.

The Z-14 is� a very robust design and easy to implement in the RV-10.
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


While I like the Z-14 architecture (it is very much similar to heavy iron logic) -it requires 2 batteries. My design goal is 1 batt + 2 alternators.


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Igor

RV10 in progress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
supik



Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sifting design goals and establishing protocols Reply with quote

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
On 1/6/2019 8:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
Quote:

� Do a Z-14 and make them totally independent
� of each other.


...� Regulator voltage levels were
staggered but not on purpose.� ..


Thanks for sharing this info, good to know that they don't like to be setup at same set point if operating on a common bus.


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Igor

RV10 in progress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Sifting design goals and establishing protocols Reply with quote

On 1/7/2019 3:01 PM, supik wrote:
Quote:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
> On 1/6/2019 8:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
>
>> � Do a Z-14 and make them totally independent
>> � of each other.
>>
>>
> ...� Regulator voltage levels were
> staggered but not on purpose.� ..

Thanks for sharing this info, good to know that they don't like to be setup at same set point if operating on a common bus.

I didn't mean to imply that at all.  At one point I did get them

adjusted to the same voltage and ran that way for sometime while I was
still running interconnected 100% of the time - no problem what so
ever.  It still happens that I'll run interconnected because I forget to
disconnect them after takeoff.  The only liability in running
interconnected with both regulators set at roughly the same level is
that I may not immediately be aware of say a failing regulator or
alternator.  Otherwise there seems to be zero impact.

Two related issues:

1) I mounted my regulators on the back of the firewall which can be a
very difficult place to access on the '10.  I was unable to easily
adjust the voltage level on the regulator so I just let it stay
'staggered' until I came up with a customized screwdriver that permitted
adjustment.

2) You have to pay attention to where you tap the bus voltage for
measurement and display.  Turned out that taking the voltage picked up
by my GRT EIS for one bus and taking the voltage picked up by my GRT
EFIS for the other bus did not produce comparable values.  It took me
awhile to figure that one out.
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
supik



Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sifting design goals and establishing protocols Reply with quote

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
On 1/7/2019 3:01 PM, supik wrote:
Quote:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com wrote:
> On 1/6/2019 8:43 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:
>
>> � Do a Z-14 and make them totally independent
>> � of each other.
>>
>>
> ...� Regulator voltage levels were
> staggered but not on purpose.� ..

Thanks for sharing this info, good to know that they don't like to be setup at same set point if operating on a common bus.

I didn't mean to imply that at all.  At one point I did get them

adjusted to the same voltage and ran that way for sometime while I was
still running interconnected 100% of the time - no problem what so
ever.  It still happens that I'll run interconnected because I forget to
disconnect them after takeoff.  The only liability in running
interconnected with both regulators set at roughly the same level is
that I may not immediately be aware of say a failing regulator or
alternator.  Otherwise there seems to be zero impact.

Two related issues:

1) I mounted my regulators on the back of the firewall which can be a
very difficult place to access on the '10.  I was unable to easily
adjust the voltage level on the regulator so I just let it stay
'staggered' until I came up with a customized screwdriver that permitted
adjustment.

2) You have to pay attention to where you tap the bus voltage for
measurement and display.  Turned out that taking the voltage picked up
by my GRT EIS for one bus and taking the voltage picked up by my GRT
EFIS for the other bus did not produce comparable values.  It took me
awhile to figure that one out.
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Thanks for sharing your experience!


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Igor

RV10 in progress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group