Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
BBS Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

240 VAC Motor Question

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Greetings,



This is a (slightly) off topic but I am reaching out to the smartest guys I
know regarding this stuff.



I am FINALLY getting around to wiring up the switch you all helped me find a
couple of months ago on my 2 post car lift (it is in an airplane hangar so
it is legal to post on this forum).



The car lift has an electric motor that drives a hydraulic pump. The
Normally Open switch when pushed starts the motor and the hydraulic pump
moves the car up. To lower the car there is a hydraulic pressure relief
valve meaning the motor/pump only operates one direction.



The black and white wires from my 2 pole circuit breaker panel and the green
bond wire are easy for me to figure out.



Inside the wiring box of the lift is a bit more complicated. Attached is a
picture of the schematic label on the side of the wiring box and a picture
of the relay unit housed inside the box.



Inside the wiring box there are the following wires:

-Green + yellow stripe wire that has a ground lug on the motor case and a
the other end is a loose end.

-Green wire that has a lug on one end and the other end enters the internals
of the relay box

-Blue wire that is loose on one end and the other end enters the internals
of the relay box.

-Brown wire that goes to the 5/L3 lug of the relay unit and the other end is
a loose end.

-Brown wire that has a lug on one end and the other end is a loose end



Can someone please help me "remember" what wires go to what on this
contraption???



I would GREATLY APPRECIATE your help on this!!!


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
BARRY CHECK 6



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 720

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Bill:
It is a lot easier with the units in front of me, but...
Here is a link that supports the colors you mention.
Oh, there are two standards in wiring motors:
1 - Wire Color Code - Which is not used very much and
2 - Wire Numbering - Much easier to understand.
This link shows the color code you are seeing:
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/396012-bodine-electric-motor-wiring.html

For a 220 AC Line:
T1 goes to L1
T4 & T5 go to L2
ALL the other wires get tied together and wire nutted and electrical tape wrapped.
I need better pictures or schematic of the relay.
But, Since as you say the Motor is ONLY powered and in one direction the relay is used to control that applied power as stated above.
Just tie the lines together through the relay so :
1 - A switch energizes the relay.
2 - L1 and L2 Go to each 110 V lines (110 + 110 = 220)
Hope this helps.
Barry
On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 9:58 PM <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Greetings,
 
This is a (slightly) off topic but I am reaching out to the smartest guys I know regarding this stuff…
 
I am FINALLY getting around to wiring up the switch you all helped me find a couple of months ago on my 2 post car lift (it is in an airplane hangar so it is legal to post on this forum). 
 
The car lift has an electric motor that drives a hydraulic pump.  The Normally Open switch when pushed starts the motor and the hydraulic pump moves the car up.  To lower the car there is a hydraulic pressure relief valve meaning the motor/pump only operates one direction.
 
The black and white wires from my 2 pole circuit breaker panel and the green bond wire are easy for me to figure out.
 
Inside the wiring box of the lift is a bit more complicated.  Attached is a picture of the schematic label on the side of the wiring box and a picture of the relay unit housed inside the box.
 
Inside the wiring box there are the following wires:
-Green + yellow stripe wire that has a ground lug on the motor case and a the other end is a loose end.
-Green wire that has a lug on one end and the other end enters the internals of the relay box
-Blue wire that is loose on one end and the other end enters the internals of the relay box.
-Brown wire that goes to the 5/L3 lug of the relay unit and the other end is a loose end.
-Brown wire that has a lug on one end and the other end is a loose end
 
Can someone please help me “remember” what wires go to what on this contraption???
 
I would GREATLY APPRECIATE your help on this!!!
 

Thanks,
 
Bill Hunter
 



- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
user9253



Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 1293
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Bill,
There are no pictures attached to your post.


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Quote:
There are no pictures attached to your post.

Hmmm...perhaps due to file size I should send them one at a time (sorry for
the spam)>


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Here is the inside of the box

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
billhuntersemail(at)gmail
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Here is a closer view of the relay itself.

Again...THANKS for your help on this (as always)!!!


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
harleydixon



Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 11
Location: Henrietta, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Just an FYI Bill, I did have the pictures along with your first message...using Thunderbird if that makes any difference.

Harley

On 9/14/2018 11:42 AM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

[quote] [quote]Here is the inside of the box


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Harley Dixon

Long EZ N28EZ
Canandaigua Airport (D38)
Canandaigua, NY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bob McC



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 258
Location: Toronto, ON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

Both pictures were attached to the original post that I received.
Bob McC [quote]
--------


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Bob McC
Falco #908
(just starting)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

On 9/14/2018 10:48 AM, Harley Dixon wrote:

Quote:
Just an FYI Bill, I did have the pictures along with your first message...using Thunderbird if that makes any difference.

Harley

Same here, on both counts.
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]


- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
donjohnston



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 203

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 240 VAC Motor Question Reply with quote

I'm reading these on the website and there are no pictures.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group