Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuselage Side Skin Dimpling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogdenk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Fuselage Side Skin Dimpling Reply with quote

I have a question about the fuselage mid side skin dimpling. The instructions say to dimple all of the 3/32" holes that were drilled to the understructure. However, the corresponding holes in the F-1015A outboard seat ribs were not dimpled. They weren't specifically excluded from dimpling, but there was no step where they were dimpled so I didn't do it. This is the outboard rib immediately aft of the spar carry through. I have attached a clip of from the construction manual of this area. The holes in the F-1018 rear seat ribs (the next rib aft of the problem ribs) WERE dimpled as per the instructions.

It's going to be a pain to try and dimple those holes now. It looks like many of them will be hidden in the wing root area so I was thinking of using AN470 rivets in those holes instead of AN426. It looks like some of the holes will be above the wing though, so I will have to figure out a way to dimple those holes or countersink them. I do have a tight fit dimpling set that uses a rivet puller, but the performance is barely acceptable on thinner material. I will probably call Vans on this but I was wondering if others have dealt with this issue and what the resolution was.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Kent Ogden

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Fig1_29-9.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.34 KB
 Viewed:  2088 Time(s)

Fig1_29-9.JPG

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Fuselage Side Skin Dimpling Reply with quote

Hi Kent,

I don't remember the specific rib part numbers or anything, so this is
sort of off the cuff, but...

For the rivets that will be hidden in the wing root area, I don't see why
AN470's wouldn't be fine. I think the RV-14 kit used a lot of AN470's there.

And, if you have an area where you have a handful of rivets that are
visible and you want flush rivets, I don't think I'd worry too much about
countersinking a few of them if necessary. I too don't have great luck
with the pop-rivet dimple die set. I did just tonight pull out a vice-grips
dimple die to get some real tight ones...it's a vice grips with dimple dies
welded to them. If you have one of those maybe pull it out.
It's a handy tool when you need it.

At any rate, I wouldn't stress out too much if you're only looking to
countersink a handful
Tim
On 5/1/2016 6:02 PM, Kent Ogden wrote:
Quote:
I have a question about the fuselage mid side skin dimpling. The
instructions say to dimple all of the 3/32" holes that were drilled to
the understructure. However, the corresponding holes in the F-1015A
outboard seat ribs were not dimpled. They weren't specifically
excluded from dimpling, but there was no step where they were dimpled
so I didn't do it. This is the outboard rib immediately aft of the
spar carry through. I have attached a clip of from the construction
manual of this area. The holes in the F-1018 rear seat ribs (the next
rib aft of the problem ribs) WERE dimpled as per the instructions.

It's going to be a pain to try and dimple those holes now. It looks
like many of them will be hidden in the wing root area so I was
thinking of using AN470 rivets in those holes instead of AN426. It
looks like some of the holes will be above the wing though, so I will
have to figure out a way to dimple those holes or countersink them. I
do have a tight fit dimpling set that uses a rivet puller, but the
performance is barely acceptable on thinner material. I will probably
call Vans on this but I was wondering if others have dealt with this
issue and what the resolution was.

Kent Ogden

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jack(at)bedfordlandings.c

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Fuselage Side Skin Dimpling Reply with quote

Hi Kent,

I’m at this stage myself. I thought about using AN470s but the skin has already been dimpled. I used the pop rivet dimpler where I could, and when I couldn’t I used a machine countersink – it’s been a couple of weeks since I did this and now the skins have been riveted on, but as I recall there were only 4 holes where the substructure was too thick to use the pop rivet dimpling tool. I countersunk those 4 holes and the countersink did not penetrate too far in the inside-most piece of structure to prevent forming a good shop head on the rivet.

The pop-rivet dimpler works ok on the rest of the holes.

Jack Phillips
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia
Fuselage

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kent Ogden
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 7:02 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuselage Side Skin Dimpling

I have a question about the fuselage mid side skin dimpling. The instructions say to dimple all of the 3/32" holes that were drilled to the understructure. However, the corresponding holes in the F-1015A outboard seat ribs were not dimpled. They weren't specifically excluded from dimpling, but there was no step where they were dimpled so I didn't do it. This is the outboard rib immediately aft of the spar carry through. I have attached a clip of from the construction manual of this area. The holes in the F-1018 rear seat ribs (the next rib aft of the problem ribs) WERE dimpled as per the instructions.

It's going to be a pain to try and dimple those holes now. It looks like many of them will be hidden in the wing root area so I was thinking of using AN470 rivets in those holes instead of AN426. It looks like some of the holes will be above the wing though, so I will have to figure out a way to dimple those holes or countersink them. I do have a tight fit dimpling set that uses a rivet puller, but the performance is barely acceptable on thinner material. I will probably call Vans on this but I was wondering if others have dealt with this issue and what the resolution was.

Kent Ogden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: