Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hammock Mod, MX20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Beech-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george.mueller(at)aurora.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Hammock Mod, MX20 Reply with quote

Are there any downsides to the Hammock engine mods, putting a 260hp in an older Bonanza (E35)? I understand they beef up the airframe as part of the mod, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced any downsides to this.

Also, I am not real familiar with the Garmin MX 20, but I am wondering if the fact that this unit has been discontinued by Garmin affect its value and utility? Can you still get updates etc? Is it still supported by Garmin?

George in Milwaukee [quote][b]

- The Matronics Beech-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Beech-List
dhschultz39(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Hammock Mod, MX20 Reply with quote

don't know if you're open to alternative suggestions or not george, but if you are (especially if starting with an E-225-Cool, i have direct experience + 150 hrs in a c35 bonanza with the aviation research mod (STC) to put o-470 cylinders on an e-225 case (they have a web-site, and firm is located in Sandy, Or.)
works very well (163 kts, 1500 fpm, 11 gph) with no airframe mods required except those related to baffling. the only downside i've experienced is cylinders run a max of 300 deg F, not as warm as i would like.

if you want more info..., e-mail/call is fine.

wrt garmin-mx-20, no info. but directly related - have a 15 yr old Garmin IFR GPS155 (not the newer 155XL), purchased when Garmin came out w/ their first IFR unit. Garmin does not support maintenance or repairs, but my local radio shop (Tacoma, WA) took care of it no problem, new battery, minor parts, alignment, and it works great.

dave schultz
bremerton, wa
360 692-3445
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rmhou(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Hammock Mod, MX20 Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there any downsides to the Hammock engine mods, putting a 260hp in
>an older Bonanza (E35)?

Possible W&B issues. A friend has IO-520 w/ 3-blade prop (about same weight as IO-470N) in his G with tip tanks. His CG is almost always in front of forward limit. The tip tanks (Osborn) contributed to this issue because these tanks cause narrower CG envelope. But we tried diffent loads assuming tips are removed, and it is still very limited.

E225 is much lighter. I have no experience but have hear good things about N cylinders on E engines.

Robin Hou
64 S35
54 E35 (sold after 11 years & remorse)

Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

rleebue(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Hammock Mod, MX20 Reply with quote

Hi George -- Before you shove a IO-470N into an E Bonanza, check with Jerry Forston at Aviation Research Systems, Inc of Sandy, Oregon, for his STC which mates 470N cylinders to the E-225 case. I did this for my C model, and am extremely happy with the outcome. Jerry can be reached at (503) 668-4542 or (888) 301-9207 for toll free. Roughy, here are the benefits to go this route:

1. Much less expensive {than standard IO-470N}
2. Minimal airframe changes needed {than standard IO-470N}
3. No CG issues {than standard IO-470N}
4. Better jug cooling {than E-225}
5. Significantly better performance {than E-225}
6. Longer jug life {than E-225}
7. Less oil consumption {thasn E-225}

Downside -- you can no longer use autogas.

Good luck -- Lee Buechler/N241EE

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Beech-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: