Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survival Vest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

Excuse me Tim, but I have to disagree.  There is simply nothing in the world wrong with carrying a gun in the United States of America, although I do recommend that everyone should take the time to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit (CCW).  The more law abiding people that go armed in this country, the more you will see violent crime decrease on our streets, and this is a proven statistic based on EVERY SINGLE STATE that has passed "shall issue" concealed carry laws. It is simply irrefutable and by the way... really tends to upset anti-gun folks. 
That said, whether carrying a weapon legally either concealed or in the open, go to:  www.packing.org to find out ALL the scoop about what every state has to say about it.  I used to have carry permits from a whole slew of states, now-a-days most states honor the permits from others.  For example, I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit, and there are only 17 states in CONUS that do NOT have complete reciprocity with North Carolina. If you examine the laws even further, you will find that even in the states where there is no reciprocity, they often will have "Friendly Travel laws" that allow you to have the weapon in baggage. 
I have ferried aircraft across this country, and have crossed some really desolate places where I felt a lot better carrying a weapon. In fact, I even carry one going from North Carolina to Florida! When I ferried a YAK-50 to California, all I had to do when I landed in California was to take my .45 Kimber, unload it, put it into a locked box, and carry it right into the San Diego airport and declare it to the desk agent at the airlines.  She had me open it, make sure it was unloaded, locked it back up again, sealed it, and then I carried it right over to the TSA folks and away it went.  No problem what-so-ever.  
Instead of buying a replacement survival "radio" for the vest, I would instead recommend that a person upgrade the vest in the same way the military is doing, or as close as possible that is!  Purchase one of the new model survival radio BEACONS, that includes a built in GPS.  These handheld units are registered to you by name and not only broadcast on 121.5 for DF purposes, but also on 406 Mhz  with GPS location data, along with a "digital I.D." telling just who it is that is sending the distress call. They are a little "pricey", but how much is your life worth? 
Sorry for the strong response on the gun issue, but after spending 35 years (and counting)defending our Constitution, I believe people should not be afraid to exercise the rights it guarantees, otherwise... what's the point?  I realize too that others may not agree and would rather avoid a possible hassle no matter what. 
Mark Bitterlich
N50YK
p.s.  As an amusing anecdote, I'd like to mention that I have not had one single person ever question me when walking into an FBO with a holstered .45 strapped to my belt after climbing out of my YAK-50. In fact, I usually get faster line service! Typically though, I suggest just keeping it legally concealed, and if you do that right, you will NEVER get hassled because no one is EVER going to KNOW! 

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
yak52driver(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Don't worry Mark, I agree with ya. Really, I do! And if anybody disagrees well then we'll just have to shoot em' : )

Frank
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

NiftyYak50(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

Mark,
If you took my reply to the survival vest thread as anti-gun, that was not
my intent. My point was that if someone chose to carry a weapon with them
while they transient multiple states, they may want consider the laws
pertaining to each state as to carry a weapon. It may end up not being worth
the hassle. You also may run into a not so friendly law enforcement officer
that would have no problem liberating the weapon. Just a thought.
This has NOTHING to do with Yaks but...
I have no problem with Joe Public carrying a weapon as long as that person
has been trained in the use of that weapon. Me, I will be pursuing a permit
this spring and also hope to attend the Federal Flight Deck Officer program
in the late summer. It is taught mostly by former SpecOps and Federal Agency
types. You are issued a weapon (an HK USP Sub Compact .40) and tested every
six months. The training is rigorous and the testing compares with other
federal law enforcement agencies.
Happy New Year.
Tim
If I can be of assistance with some life support issues, I will. We have a
great shop (best in the biz) and they are more than happy to help.

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

Mark,
I'm on your side of the fence on this one. I have to make deposites for my office. I would not dream of walking up to night teller window without an exposed weapon. Not the crowd that generally roams around these days. I alter the banks I go to so as not set up a pattern as well as alter routes to and from, and alter the times as best as possible.
I have a concealed weapon permit. I agree if I'm going X/C over unfamilar terittory that is desolate, I will have a weapon. May even look for a way to put my turkey shotgun in aircraft. Never felt uncomfortable about just flying with my Browning 9mm though.
Doc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

No Tim, honestly I did not take your reply as "Anti-Gun".  I would find it hard to believe that anyone with military experience would ever have that view, and I know you have a lot of time in the Air Force, so I never even thought that for an instant. 
I am also sure that you are correct in that there are a number of "not so bright" law enforcement types that could indeed make your life miserable should they so choose.  The fact is, I ran into one just like that once! (But never in an airplane)  I say a prayer that such officers are a very small minority, and to date that has seemed to be the case.    
I guess the only point I was trying to make was that even if there is the possibility of a hassle.... I believe that those of us in this country that accept the responsibility of carrying a firearm (which is soon to be you too) need to do so whenever possible. To exercise your rights or privileges in a responsible manner is to me... a way of making sure you will keep them and keep acting responsibly when doing so. 
Carrying a gun indeed has little to do with flying.... but carrying it WHILE flying I do think qualifies as a reasonable subject for discussion even on the YAK list.  If someone chews my butt and disagrees, I'll respect that too!  Regardless, I thought it worth talking about and discussing at least once. 
I applaud your obtaining a CCW permit, and most especially in taking the time to attend and to qualify for a Federal Flight Deck Officer endorsement! We need as many good people/Aircrew as we can to do this and it is a program that has long been overdue.  Good Luck!   
Happy Holidays,
Mark Bitterlich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

DO NOT ARCHIVE

No Frank.... if we shoot them it will make guns look bad.  Too many people think that guns are evil anyway...  except those people in England, Canada and Australia... who have seen around a 600% increase in violent crime since (most if not all) firearms were made illegal. 

Never-the-less, if anyone disagrees we need to kill them with a weapon without the evil reputation that guns have.  Say a CHAINSAW for instance... heck, they might even make a movie about it.  The YAK LIST CHAINSAW MASSACRE. 

Has kind of a nice ring to it......

mgb

p.s.  Sorry... this was probably over the top.  

brian-yak(at)lloyd.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Survival Vest Reply with quote

Bitterlich GS11 Mark G wrote:
Quote:
No Tim, honestly I did not take your reply as "Anti-Gun". I would find
it hard to believe that anyone with military experience would ever have
that view, and I know you have a lot of time in the Air Force, so I
never even thought that for an instant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: