Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G - Loads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: G - Loads Reply with quote

p { margin: 0; }p { margin: 0; }Guys,
I went to pushrods on the ailerons and have the stops on my flaps.
I have not used flaps since the only stop on the screw jack is a $10 micro switch ( I have the older flap actuator ). If that Micro switch fails the power developed by the actuator would twist the rear spar without hesitation. Also I read some where that the G-Loads drop to 2.0 when flaps are deployed. In Florida we can get wind shear or thermals greater than 2.0.

Just a thought

Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 285 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 181 hrs.

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: G - Loads Reply with quote

I have never heard of the maximum G load being reduced because of flap deployment on this or any other airplane. The maximum speed is reduced, but not the maximum G loading.

The current draw of the flap motor increases significantly when it hits a hard stop. Just install a fuse that will blow when this happens and it will prevent any damage. I have never had a single issue with those micro-switches in nearly nine years and 300 hours of flight time in my plane.

On May 27, 2013, at 1:51 PM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net wrote:

Quote:
Guys,
I went to pushrods on the ailerons and have the stops on my flaps.
I have not used flaps since the only stop on the screw jack is a $10 micro switch ( I have the older flap actuator ). If that Micro switch fails the power developed by the actuator would twist the rear spar without hesitation. Also I read some where that the G-Loads drop to 2.0 when flaps are deployed. In Florida we can get wind shear or thermals greater than 2.0.

Just a thought

Bobby ( age 74 )
Zodiac 601 XL "B"
Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
Bing Carb 260 Main & 285 Needle Jet
Status - Flying 181 hrs.

Do Not Archive

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.
do not archive.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

do not archive.
merlin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: G - Loads Reply with quote

When the flaps go down, the G load limit goes down on every airplane that I've ever flown,,,and that's a bunch of airplanes.

J. Webb
ATP,CFI,CFII,MEI, General Aviation Enthusiast!

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Bryan Martin <bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:

I have never heard of the maximum G load being reduced because of flap deployment on this or any other airplane. The maximum speed is reduced, but not the maximum G loading.

The current draw of the flap motor increases significantly when it hits a hard stop. Just install a fuse that will blow when this happens and it will prevent any damage. I have never had a single issue with those micro-switches in nearly nine years and 300 hours of flight time in my plane.

On May 27, 2013, at 1:51 PM, BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net wrote:

> Guys,
> I went to pushrods on the ailerons and have the stops on my flaps.
> I have not used flaps since the only stop on the screw jack is a $10 micro switch ( I have the older flap actuator ). If that Micro switch fails the power developed by the actuator would twist the rear spar without hesitation. Also I read some where that the G-Loads drop to 2.0 when flaps are deployed. In Florida we can get wind shear or thermals greater than 2.0.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Bobby ( age 74 )
> Zodiac 601 XL "B"
> Jabiru 3300 S/N 1141
> Sensenich 64" x 51" Prop
> Bing Carb 260 Main & 285 Needle Jet
> Status - Flying 181 hrs.
>
> Do Not Archive

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
do not archive.

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: G - Loads Reply with quote

After further research I find that the G load limits of most aircraft do decrease with flap deployment, but that doesn't make the use of flaps during landing a bad idea under most circumstances.

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,

On May 27, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Jeff <cw4jasper(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Quote:

When the flaps go down, the G load limit goes down on every airplane that I've ever flown,,,and that's a bunch of airplanes.

J. Webb
ATP,CFI,CFII,MEI, General Aviation Enthusiast!

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Bryan Martin <bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net> wrote:

do not archive.
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: G - Loads Reply with quote

My understanding is full flaps should be used on landings unless the
weather conditions include high and or gusty winds. In that case many
planes should be landed with no flaps.

The question of how high is high can be answered by the stall speed of
the plane in question. I can't give a formula for this decision, but
higher stall speed means higher immunity to gusty air situations. This
does relate directly with wing loading.

I just read someplace that even airliners with their incredibly high
wing loading and stall speeds will not fly if the winds are over 50
knots. (Just as an approximation: Light Sport Airplanes like the
CH601XL have wing loading around 10 pounds per square foot; most general
aviation planes with reciprocating engines have wing loading from 15 to
perhaps 25 or 30 p/sf; jet fighters typically run around 50 p/sf; jet
airliners usually have upward of 100 p/sf.)

Paul
Camas, WA

On 5/27/2013 4:25 PM, Bryan Martin wrote:
Quote:

After further research I find that the G load limits of most aircraft do decrease with flap deployment, but that doesn't make the use of flaps during landing a bad idea under most circumstances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: