Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crimping Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogdenk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am building an RV-10 and getting to the point where I need to think about electrical components and systems. I have a question about crimped connections: Is it a good (or bad) idea to put some electrical grease on the wire and/or connector before making the crimp?  I have found that this helps the trailer light connections in my vehicle to survive the road salt over the winter, but that is a completely different environment. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
More questions to follow as I move forward . . .
Kent Ogden
RV-10 #40710 [quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

Hi Kent,
On airplanes there is no need to do that extra step (in fact it could create some un-wanted gremlins later on). Just do a good job crimping and you’ll be fine. A solid crimp will be excellent and will be as good as any other type of connection.
Just my 2 cents as usual!
Cheers,

Stein

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kent Ogden
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:29 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Crimping Question

Hi All,
I am building an RV-10 and getting to the point where I need to think about electrical components and systems. I have a question about crimped connections: Is it a good (or bad) idea to put some electrical grease on the wire and/or connector before making the crimp? I have found that this helps the trailer light connections in my vehicle to survive the road salt over the winter, but that is a completely different environment. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Kent Ogden
RV-10 #40710
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

I'm not an authority here but I'd like to compare my answer to others so here goes; it's unnecessary and therefore may just complicate your work. The crimping specs and procedures don't require dielectric grease to perform as designed so don't bother.

Doing the electrical and panel work on mine was probably the most satisfying part of my build. Partly because it required some design and integration work that wasn't "CNC'd and pre-drilled". Partly because it was fun to learn the right ways to do things like crimping and wire bundling after having hacked away at various trailer harnesses, auto wiring and even some certified glider wiring (whoops!).

You have all the resources you need between Vans plans and these lists... Enjoy!

Bill "missing the build but enjoying the '10" Watson

On 1/16/2013 9:29 AM, Kent Ogden wrote:

[quote]
Hi All,
I am building an RV-10 and getting to the point where I need to think about electrical components and systems. I have a question about crimped connections: Is it a good (or bad) idea to put some electrical grease on the wire and/or connector before making the crimp? I have found that this helps the trailer light connections in my vehicle to survive the road salt over the winter, but that is a completely different environment. Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Kent Ogden
RV-10 #40710
Quote:

[b]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

One big difference between trailers and planes is the quality of the wire. If you use airplane wiring on your trailer, you probably wouldn't have much problems with your trailer either. Not to mention the goldplated contacts on many aircraft parts.
Tim

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:

[quote] I'm not an authority here but I'd like to compare my answer to others so here goes; it's unnecessary and therefore may just complicate your work. The crimping specs and procedures don't require dielectric grease to perform as designed so don't bother.

Doing the electrical and panel work on mine was probably the most satisfying part of my build. Partly because it required some design and integration work that wasn't "CNC'd and pre-drilled". Partly because it was fun to learn the right ways to do things like crimping and wire bundling after having hacked away at various trailer harnesses, auto wiring and even some certified glider wiring (whoops!).

You have all the resources you need between Vans plans and these lists... Enjoy!

Bill "missing the build but enjoying the '10" Watson

On 1/16/2013 9:29 AM, Kent Ogden wrote:

Quote:

Hi All,
Kent Ogden
RV-10 #40710
Quote:

===================================
st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Grease or no grease Reply with quote

I'd go with using grease used sparingly and selectively.

Grease keeps out all sort of environmental contaminants. What seems wrong about this is that grease certainly is an insulator, but so is any space that it fills, and filling up any empty spaces with grease prevents water, air and nervous sweat from getting in there.

In electronics, thermally conductive grease serves the same purpose but adds high thermal conductivity to the joint. The caveat "thin layer" always appears in the instructions, since a thick layer reduces both the thermal and electrical properties.

I heard a story of one particularly brilliant electronic engineer who finished each prototype with a dollop of grease in the corner of the box. He said if a loose piece of solder or cut wire showed up, that's where it would wind up.

But yeah, grease attracts dirt too, so use sparingly.

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
ogdenk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses on the dielectric grease question. I guess I will ponder it a bit more, but I probably won't use it on connectors that will be hard to get to in the future or are in a protected area. I was initially thinking about the stall warning switch in the wing leading edge (I did install it, I believe not everyone does).  If you were in the clouds or light rain, I'm sure moisture will enter the notch in the leading edge and probably soak the switch/connectors. There's an access plate though, so if there's a problem it's easy to get to. I will have AOA as well so this shouldn't be a critical component to lose.

For really nasty environments like on my trailer, I also coat any butt splices with this stuff: http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1076
This stuff is great at sealing a connection, also says it's fire resistant so maybe safe to use in a plane. It's kind of like a thin RTV when you put it on without the RTV smell. Dries pretty hard but still a little flexible. My trailer lights used to give me fits because the mounting studs were also the ground connection to the frame, and when they rusted it was lights out. After installing new lights and coating the studs with this stuff the problems were all cured.

Kent Ogden
RV-10 #40710

Quote:
>> "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net> 1/17/2013 9:21 AM >>>
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric M. Jones" <emjones(at)charter.net>

I'd go with using grease used sparingly and selectively.

Grease keeps out all sort of environmental contaminants. What seems wrong about this is that grease certainly is an insulator, but so is any space that it fills, and filling up any empty spaces with grease prevents water, air and nervous sweat from getting in there.

In electronics, thermally conductive grease serves the same purpose but adds high thermal conductivity to the joint. The caveat "thin layer" always appears in the instructions, since a thick layer reduces both the thermal and electrical properties.

I heard a story of one particularly brilliant electronic engineer who finished each prototype with a dollop of grease in the corner of the box. He said if a loose piece of solder or cut wire showed up, that's where it would wind up.

But yeah, grease attracts dirt too, so use sparingly.

--------
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com
113 Brentwood Drive
Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronicscom/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroEle &nbp;   .matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
_-===================================

[quote][b]

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Crimping Question Reply with quote

Hi Kent

What I think you need is ACF-50 anti corrosion spray - fantastic stuff, I've seen a TV coated with this, and placed in a fish tank - TV still worked

John

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: