Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bungees, really need help guys!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

OK, I've been trying and I'm not making much headway. The lugs that the eye
loops hook over are not where my instructions show them on my Model IV 1050.
The bungees I removed were 92" and the ones I have are somewhat thicker and
only 60" long. The instructions supplied by Denney->Skystar are vague at
best so I can use the help!

I've been through the archives on both lists and cannot see whether or how
these will fit. I have my fingers in ice water and hope to make another try
on Saturday.

I'm sure many of you have done this! Please help out. Is there room for six
loops at the bottom? My gear has a fence that keeps the cords from sliding
toward the end. Can I pile the loops? Are there better instructions? What
makes it easier? (besides a helper, perhaps mine will show for round 2)

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave,

I think that I have posted many times the easiet way that I have found.

Use a hammer handle, I can do both side in 5 to 10 mins with a helper.

double that without.

60" hmm I think they a bit longer........ 66" rings a bell I got a bunch in shop hanging that I got already made up....... I will go measure after dinner.

Worst part is those stupid big bulky aluminum nico press that were used. I just crimped with heavy wire and tape them up . Slide right in.

If you cannot get 6 wraps go with 5 it will be a bit mushy.

make sure you got on safety cables -- so think they are dumb but trust me they are not.

EDIT I found on google search "bungee install on kitfox"

http://rotaxaircraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave,

I don't know if the following addresses the issues you have, but Skystar in
the distant past apparently had trouble getting the 3/8" bungee material and
at one time substituted the 5/16" material. To get the same amount of
rubber around the hard points, they increased the length and number of
turns. The manual calls for 7 wraps of the 3/8" bungee material. I don't
recall the number of wraps for the 5/16" but ten or eleven sounds about
right.

As far as installing them, I always did it alone. I made a wedge of wood.
You might want to take a file or saw and score across the wedge to better
grip the bungee. After completing a wrap, I fed it through the bungee
bulkhead and pulling from the top, pulled as tight as I could. Then
without letting it slip wrapped it toward the ground. I put the wedge
between the bungee and the top tube in the bulkhead in a fashion that the
relaxing bungee draws the wedge tighter into the space. I proceeded that
way until the last wrap. I usually found that I had plenty of slack to
complete the attachment, then removed the wedge and everything moved back
into position. After a couple of flights with my typical landings, the
bungees moved into equal wrap lengths. Yes, I think it is typical to have
one wrap overlapping.

Regarding the Spring Gear. We are just here to help any way we can. That
is why we also carry the small crimp 3/8" bungee cord.

Hope this helps.

Lowell

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:35 PM
To: <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Bungees, really need help guys!

Quote:

OK, I've been trying and I'm not making much headway. The lugs that the
eye
loops hook over are not where my instructions show them on my Model IV
The bungees I removed were 92" and the ones I have are somewhat thicker
and
only 60" long. The instructions supplied by Denney->Skystar are vague at
best so I can use the help!

I've been through the archives on both lists and cannot see whether or how
these will fit. I have my fingers in ice water and hope to make another
try
on Saturday.

I'm sure many of you have done this! Please help out. Is there room for
six

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

On 6/23/2011 2:35 PM, Dave wrote:
Quote:

Personnel: 1

Procedure:

1. Tie wheels together. (It doesn't take much as friction does most of
the work. You'll want to put in a trucker's hitch to snug gear hard
against the fuselage.)

2. CAREFULLY unwind the old bungee. Don't just cut it unless you like
doing fabric work.

3. Put on new bungee getting as many wraps as you can without working
hard. Attach loop to peg.

4. Tape the leather to the vice grip jaws.

5. Take channel locks and CAREFULLY pull slack out of the bungee,
starting at the "inboard" end and working out. When you get to the last
loop, pull the slack then clamp the bungee where it goes over the upper
tube. DO NOT TRY TO GET ALL THE SLACK OUT, JUST ENOUGH TO GET ANOTHER
WRAP. The remaining bungee will go around the lower tube and back to the
peg. This remainder will have a lot of slack in it.

6. Using the slack, take another wrap around the fuselage tubes.

7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you get six wraps. It turns out to be quite
easy. Just be careful not to shred the bungee with the channel locks or
vice grips. It doesn't take much pressure to get a grip and you don't
have to pull hard.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 592-C / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

I have the letter from the factory about different length bungees. It says the 3/8" cord is 66 inches long and requires 6 wraps. The 5/16" is 90 inches long and requires thirteen wraps.

The rubber stop on the end of the gear should be trimmed to allow one wrap to sit outside the fence.

For what it's worth the replacement cords I put on a couple years ago are 3/8" and 60 inches long. I got 6 wraps. It took just about 15 minutes each using vise grips with the jaws taped up.

A while back I saw a post, but of course can't find it now, from a guy that used clamps similar to these http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=241624-52800-XCRU5&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1068709&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 he said it was a fairly easy job using these clamps. I'm going to get some for my next bungee replacement session.

The trick is to stretch them as tight as you can on each wrap and do not lose any progress on the last wrap while you stretch the cord on the next wrap. use the clamp to hold each wrap as the next wrap is made.

here's three pictures worth 3000 words.

Bungee instruction.jpg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.05 KB
 Viewed:  22092 Time(s)

Bungee instruction.jpg.jpg

Bungee installed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.84 KB

Bungee installed.jpg

Bungee 6 wraps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.73 KB

Bungee 6 wraps.jpg

Ellensburg, WA
dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Quote:
60" hmm I think they a bit longer........ 66" rings a bell I got a bunch in shop hanging that I got already made up....... I will go measure after dinner.

Yup I was right 66" it is .

hammer handle works great , no worry of damage to the new bungee.

If you still cannot figure it then buy a bush gear -- !!

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
sdemeyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

The last time I did mine ( I've since changed to bush gear ) I used a tie-down strap hooked between the bungee loop and one of the cross member tubes in the roof. Pull the bungee tight and then use the channel locks to carefully work out the slack in the bungee wraps. Then you can easily hold enough tension with your hand to get another wrap around the gear supports. I used this method for the last two wraps and it was very easy to do myself in about 10 minutes for each side.

To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys!

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Guy Buchanan <gebuchanan(at)cox.net (gebuchanan(at)cox.net)>

On 6/23/2011 2:35 PM, Dave wrote:
Quote:

Personnel: 1

Procedure:

1. Tie wheels together. (It doesn't take much as friction does most of the work. You'll want to put in a trucker's hitch to snug gear hard against the fuselage.)

2. CAREFULLY unwind the old bungee. Don't just cut it unless you like doing fabric work.

3. Put on new bungee getting as many wraps as you can without working hard. Attach loop to peg.

4. Tape the leather to the vice grip jaws.

5. Take channel locks and CAREFULLY pull slack out of the bungee, starting at the "inboard" end and working out. When you get to the last loop, pull the slack then clamp the bungee where it goes over the upper tube. DO NOT TRY TO GET ALL THE SLACK OUT, JUST ENOUGH TO GET ANOTHER WRAP. The remaining bungee will go around the lower tube and back to the peg. This remainder will have a lot of slack in it.

6. Using the slack, take another wrap around the fuselage tubes.

7. Repeat 5 and 6 until you get six wraps. It turns out to be quite easy. Just be careful not to shred the bungee with the channel locks or vice grips. It doesn't take much pressure to get a grip and you don't have to pull hard.

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 592-C / Warp 3cs / = - p; -Matt Dralle, Li
[quote][b]

Michel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

On my Kitfox 3 from 1992, I have about 57 inches of 3/8 shock cord that is turned on six wraps. I buy it from Aircraft Spruce.
I once tried the hook fasteners but it doesn't work for a Kitfox; it comes loose much too quickly! I tie down the ends with lashing lace I have from my sailing days.'
The only problem I meet is that the color code of the different shock cords I bought are different and the last batch from Aircraft Spruce is bloody hard, stretching hardly anything over 120 to 140 percent.

Cheers,
Michel

Jack in Austin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

I just replaced the bungees in my plane, by myself.
The outcome was in doubt there for a bit, but,

1. I used a tie-down strap (the kind with a ratchet) to tension between the two wheels, so the gear wouldn't collapse on removal. A thick piece of carpet over the strap came in handy when working below.

2. Figure the length, number of wraps, and divide- then mark the bungee where it will cross the top bar to make the wraps work out.

3. Get a big pair of visegrips, and make certain that anyone that might be offended by profanity is out of earshot.

From the top, stretch PAST the mark that should cross the top. 1/2" is good- the first may have none at all. The third should have a bit more, etc. It's a goal, that will serve you well at the end. Now that you're past, clamp the bungee to the top bar using the vise grips, and feed the cable back around. Note that it's best to already have the bungee threaded back though the bottom when you pull. I wore a thin pair of roper's gloves that I happened to have, but you will need gloves! Repeat. After a few turns, you'll have to go below, and using some form of tool, forcibly slide the loops back to the end of the lower bar to make room for another loop or two. I used the handle of a screwdriver as a fulcrum, and another for the lever. DO NOT CUT THE BUNGEE when you're prying!

It wasn't fun, and I did have to start over when it came time to hang the loop, since I didn't have that extra slack to hang it, but my gear now stands the way it should!

poasttown(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

I purchased a tool years ago from an auto parts store that I use to grab and hold the bungees. I can't rember exactly what this tool was origionally made for. It looks like a pair of beefed-up kitchen tongs with special rubber coated concave tips about the same diameter as the buggee. I purchased this tool a the local NAPA auto parts store. Someone on this list suggested this years ago. If anyone in this group can remember what this tool was made for it would be more helpful when asking for it at the store. If not, and someone is interested I can research this and report back to the group. I used the tool and it made the bungee change a bit easier.

Mike Chaney
1996 Kitfox IV
--- On Fri, 6/24/11, Jack in Austin <aviation(at)comconn.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 8:47 AM

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Jack in Austin" <aviation(at)comconn.com (aviation(at)comconn.com)>

1. I used a tie-down strap (the kind with a ratchet) to tension between the two wheels, so the gear wouldn't collapse on removal. A thick piece of carpet over the strap came in handy when working below.

2. Figure the length, number of wraps, and divide- then mark the bungee where it will cross the top bar to make the wraps work out.

3. Get a big pair of visegrips, and make certain that anyone that might be offended by profanity is out of earshot.

From the top, stretch PAST the mark that should cross the top. 1/2" is good- the first may have none at all. The third should have a bit more, etc. It's a goal, that will serve you well at the end. Now that you're past, clamp the bungee to the top bar using the vise grips, and feed the cable back around. Note that it's best to already have the bungee threaded back though the bottom when you pull. I wore a thin pair of roper's gloves that I happened to have, but you will need gloves! Repeat. After a few turns, you'll have to go below, and using some form of tool, forcibly slide the loops back to the end of the lower bar to make room for another loop or two. I used the handle of a screwdriver as a fulcrum, and another for the lever. DO NOT CUT THE BUNGEE when you're prying!

It wasn't fun, and I did have to start over when it came time to hang the loop, since I didn't have that extra slack to hang it, but my gear now stands the way it should!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343979#343979http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitbsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank>http://forums.matronbsp; - List Contribution Web Site -http://www=======================

[quote][b]

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Quote:
I purchased a tool years ago from an auto parts store that I use to grab and hold the bungees. I can't rember exactly what this tool was origionally made for. It looks like a pair of beefed-up kitchen tongs with special rubber coated concave tips about the same diameter as the buggee.

Did it look something like this?

Hand Clamp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.06 KB
 Viewed:  22039 Time(s)

Hand Clamp.jpg

Ellensburg, WA
Flydad57(at)neo.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Sounds like a spark plug boot plier, for removing stuck-on spark plug boots. Just guessing.

Bob Taylor
TigerCub N657RT

Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 10:53 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com (kitfox-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: Bungees, really need help guys!

I purchased a tool years ago from an auto parts store that I use to grab and hold the bungees. I can't rember exactly what this tool was origionally made for. It looks like a pair of beefed-up kitchen tongs with special rubber coated concave tips about the same diameter as the buggee. I purchased this tool a the local NAPA auto parts store. Someone on this list suggested this years ago. If anyone in this group can remember what this tool was made for it would be more helpful when asking for it at the store. If not, and someone is interested I can research this and report back to the group. I used the tool and it made the bungee change a bit easier.

Mike Chaney
1996 Kitfox IV

Quote:

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Jack in Austin" <aviation(at)comconn.com (aviation(at)comconn.com)>

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343979#343979http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitbsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank>http://forums.matronbsp; - List Contribution Web Site -http://www=======================

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

I haven't replaced mine for awhile, so my knuckles have had time to heal. Can't remember how I did it last time but I'm sure it was different from the time before and equally unpleasant. If I had to do it again today I'd be mightly confused by the various written explanations that have been proffered this time around. Could someone who as developed an "easy, 10 minute per side, one-man" system possibly video the magical process and post on you-tube? If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million. We the bungee-maimed would be most appreciative as would our profanity scorched families and punted pets.

Marco Menezes N99KX
Model 2 582-90 C-Box 3:1 w/clutch
Hersey, Michigan

--- On Fri, 6/24/11, Mike Chaney <poasttown(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 10:53 AM

Mike Chaney
1996 Kitfox IV

Quote:

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Jack in Austin" <aviation(at)comconn.com>

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343979#343979 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitbsp;   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target=_blank>http://forums.matronbsp;   - List Contribution Web Site - http://www=======================

Quote:

el=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

occom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Thanks for that Marco, It's a good thing to laugh about as it's a bear of a job, at least with the knowledge I have now. I got them in with help, but we never achieved six wraps. I think now I might be able to next time, it appears to be one of those tasks that gets easier each time. Hammer handles, padded pliers, and the other tools suggested all helped, but didn't make six wraps possible, at least for me. I stopped at five and was sad to give up that much progress toward the sixth and watch that slack get sucked back. But the suspension is loads harder than it was before, so five may do me fine. It is a 1050 machine not 1200 and I plan to fly alone almost always, nowhere near max weight. I'm going to go with five at least for now and hope for the best.
[img]cid:050023622(at)25062011-002E[/img]

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Marco Menezes
Sent: June-24-11 6:52 PM

I haven't replaced mine for awhile, so my knuckles have had time to heal. Can't remember how I did it last time but I'm sure it was different from the time before and equally unpleasant. If I had to do it again today I'd be mightly confused by the various written explanations that have been proffered this time around. Could someone who as developed an "easy, 10 minute per side, one-man" system possibly video the magical process and post on you-tube? If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million. We the bungee-maimed would be most appreciative as would our profanity scorched families and punted pets.

Marco Menezes N99KX
Model 2 582-90 C-Box 3:1 w/clutch
Hersey, Michigan

--- On Fri, 6/24/11, Mike Chaney <poasttown(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

susp_inst.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  736.62 KB
 Viewed:  22001 Time(s)

susp_inst.JPG

dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave,

I know your frustration but looks good -- you might need a tie wrap to hold that bungee away from the flaperon control -looks like it close to rubbing.

5 wraps likely will not be enough - it will be too soft. Just rock the wings on the ground hard up and down and watch the suspension moving. Bungees will loosed over time. Short time likely you willl notice.

I gonna be pulling off mine for floats install very soon--- Looks like I will have to do a video for you guys to show you how easy it really is.

If you are a subscriber on my youtoube channel then you will get a notice when I put it up http://www.youtube.com/user/kitfoxflyer?feature=mhee

7143 subscribes now WOW !!

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
occom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

A video would be good, I was think about it last night and replaying the
install in my mind. I think I know a way to get more out of it with less
hassle and tools. I'll wait to see if I feel it's too soft before changing
anything at this point.

The cords are well clear of anything they could rub on, it's just the camera
lens. I have a couple of cheap digital cameras, can't find the one that
takes good pictures.
[quote] --

dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave I will out a long tie wrap around the bungees to keep them clear of controls.

I just got another Kitfox in yesterday that need bungees, I hope to get at it this week. It is a KF 2 -- I will make some bungee this week - clamp them with stiff wire and show how to install easy.
Stay Tuned .

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: VIDEO - Bungee 3 minute instal !! really need help guys! Reply with quote

Here you go as promised...............

Cannot be easier to put on Bungees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

I just plain sick of hearing about all the whining about bungees

visegrips, clamps bla bla blah !!!!

Simple Tube gear Bungee install .............

Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave that bungee video is the best kitfox maintenance tip ever posted! Thanks!

Ellensburg, WA
Pat Reilly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Bungees, really need help guys! Reply with quote

Dave, Outstanding!!

Pussy Pat
Mod 3 582 Rebuilt
Rockford, IL
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM, dave <dave(at)cfisher.com (dave(at)cfisher.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "dave" <dave(at)cfisher.com (dave(at)cfisher.com)>

Here you go as promised...............

Cannot be easier to put on Bungees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

I just plain sick of hearing about all the whining about bungees

visegrips, clamps  bla bla blah !!!!

Simple Tube gear Bungee install .............

--------
Rotax Dealer, Ontario Canada
http://www.cfisher.com/
http://www.kitfoxflyer.com/
http://rotaxaircraft.com/forum/
Realtime Kitfox movies to separate  the internet  chatter from the truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/kitfoxflyer

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=347540#347540

===========
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford,IL
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: