Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wires and Plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBaker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

I'm almost ready for my final inspection. After I fly off my 25 required hours, I am taking a cross-country trip from Newfoundland to Alberta. My partner thinks that I should change the plugs and wires as a safety issue. He thinks that traveling that far will require going through a lot of moisture. Does anyone else agree with this? Are the new wires and plugs really better - besides the difference in price of replacing the plugs when necessary. What are the best kit for replacing the Russian type?

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

They are definitely better. I have them on my M14R.
In Europe they are even EASA approved.
Ask Dennis Savarese for prices.

Jan

[quote] --

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

Thanks Jan. I've sent an email off-list directly to Henry with a link
to the page on my web site along with pricing and a copy of the
installation instructions for his review.
Dennis

On 5/16/2011 1:44 AM, Jan Mevis wrote:
[quote]

They are definitely better. I have them on my M14R.
In Europe they are even EASA approved.
Ask Dennis Savarese for prices.

Jan

> --

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

Dennis your kit is really very good thanks a lot. Dominique has just changed his russian plugs last week, It does really change the behavior of the motor to it's best. He had problems with moisture and now it all has been solved. No more drop in rpm when running the ground test. The plate Is also a must have to help installing the kit and to protect from moisture. Worth the price.

I would warmly recommend.

Didier Blouzard
+33(0)6 2424 3672

Le 16 mai 2011 à 14:35, "A. Dennis Savarese" <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> a écrit :

[quote]

Thanks Jan. I've sent an email off-list directly to Henry with a link to the page on my web site along with pricing and a copy of the installation instructions for his review.
Dennis

On 5/16/2011 1:44 AM, Jan Mevis wrote:
>
>
> They are definitely better. I have them on my M14R.
> In Europe they are even EASA approved.
> Ask Dennis Savarese for prices.
>
> Jan
>
>> --

db2005(at)2wings.com

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

The link to the plug conversion is here

http://www.yak-52.com/plug_conversion.htm
[quote][b]

culpspecial(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

The good one is made by Bill Blackwell in AZ and is a couple hundred dollars. One of the nice features is the CNC machined cover that replaces the stock cover (black that has 4 screws that attach to the mag cap and the hole with the outside threads on it) that the braided cover attaches to so you don't have the wires stuffed through the stock end with silicon squeezed in around them for a seal like a child would do.

To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Mon, May 16, 2011 4:28:24 PM
Subject: Re: M14PEngines-List: Wires and Plugs

The link to the plug conversion is here

http://www.yak-52.com/plug_conversion.htm
Quote:
[b]

[quote][b]

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

FWIW, the original Russian wiring harness is/was more susceptible to
moisture penetration through the front cover plate than the automotive
conversion kit even without the 9 hole front cover plates. Since all
the original plug wires had the porous braided shields and the front of
the mag cover plate to the ring had an even more porous braided shield,
this harness was much more susceptible to moisture penetration through
the braided shields. The original 5 mm wires were also very loose
going through the front cover plate and as such could allow moisture in
through the front cover plate which penetrated the large braided shield
from the front cover plate to the ring.

Not only moisture penetrated the braided shields, but also oil. Once
the oil dried out, it also dried out the rubber shield of the plug wire.
Bingo - now we have a crack in the rubber. What happens when the plug
wire rubber cracks? It arcs to the closest ground from the crack ie:
the braided shield. Results - no spark to the spark plug and a definite
misfire.
Dennis

On 5/16/2011 3:20 PM, Didier BLOUZARD wrote:
[quote]

Dennis your kit is really very good thanks a lot. Dominique has just changed his russian plugs last week, It does really change the behavior of the motor to it's best. He had problems with moisture and now it all has been solved. No more drop in rpm when running the ground test. The plate Is also a must have to help installing the kit and to protect from moisture. Worth the price.

I would warmly recommend.

Didier Blouzard
+33(0)6 2424 3672

Le 16 mai 2011 à 14:35, "A. Dennis Savarese"<dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> a écrit :

>
>
> Thanks Jan. I've sent an email off-list directly to Henry with a link to the page on my web site along with pricing and a copy of the installation instructions for his review.
> Dennis
>
> On 5/16/2011 1:44 AM, Jan Mevis wrote:
>>
>>
>> They are definitely better. I have them on my M14R.
>> In Europe they are even EASA approved.
>> Ask Dennis Savarese for prices.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>>> --

n395v

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone else agree with this? Are the new wires and plugs really better

I think if you only have 25 hrs on the engine then your very first trip is not going to give you moisture problems.

While I wholeheartedly recommend you convert to auto plugs I do not think you need to hurry up and do it now. Run out the plugs you have and then do the conversion at your first condition (annual) inspection.

I used Dennis's kit. Was easy, works great and after a year of flying no problems.

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Wires and Plugs Reply with quote

I agree with Milt. I ran my Russian stock wires and plugs for a number of years without a problem. That said, when I had a problem it was with the wires and it was one big pain in the tail. That is something no one really reports on because Dennis's kit just does not seem to fail. Oh, I am sure it eventually will. All spark plug wires go bad eventually... no matter how good they are. But here's the thing... troubleshooting and replacing a bad wire with the automotive conversion is DEAD SIMPLE. Not the case with the original system. Replacing a wire in the original shielded harness can be a major undertaking, depending on which wire is bad. Also pulling a new wire through can also cause ADDITIONAL failures.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of n395v
Sent: Tue 5/17/2011 8:36 AM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Wires and Plugs

[quote Does anyone else agree with this? Are the new wires and plugs really better ][/quote]

I think if you only have 25 hrs on the engine then your very first trip is not going to give you moisture problems.

While I wholeheartedly recommend you convert to auto plugs I do not think you need to hurry up and do it now. Run out the plugs you have and then do the conversion at your first condition (annual) inspection.

I used Dennis's kit. Was easy, works great and after a year of flying no problems.

--------
Milt

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=340109#340109

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: