Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

De-preservation of new M14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: De-preservation of new M14 Reply with quote

Just a follow up on the engine de-preservation.

I followed all the steps in the task cards, including the sub tasks.  The engine has been mounted on the airplane for 8 months so I suspected there wouldn’t be much oil in the upper cylinders.  I used a syringe to check anyway per the manual and there was nothing to speak of.

Lots of thick preservative in all the oil screens.

Lots of oil in the rocker box covers, even some of the top ones. I changed to the newer o-rings at the same time.

Performed the carburetor de-preservation – if you don’t apply pressure (blow through a tube) per the instructions no fuel goes in or comes out of the drain plugs they have you remove.  Once you get the pressure fuel flows through and cleans out the chambers.  Glad I did that step.

I was careful to mark the magneto positions when I had them off to mount the engine ring so the timing was almost right on, just a small tweak of the left mag.

It fired up instantly after 13 years in the crate – cool.

One oil leak on the oil cooler drain plug – needed an o-ring.

Scott
Moose 174

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KJKimball(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:55 PM
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: M14PEngines-List: De-preservation of new M14

Scott,

It doesn't take much pressure to open the circuits in the carb.  We normally use a small piece of 1/4" plastic tubing to apply the pressure by blowing into it.  Typically, it is best to get an assistant to do this for you so you can make the wise cracks about their lips on one and of the hose with the other end stuck in the carb hole! 

KK

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: