Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> CorvairEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sblack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

You don't build a WW engine. You build a corvair engine useing his conversion method and accessories. You are in charge and you take responsibility for what you do. It is not up to him to guarantee your work. And for what its worth, the rest of the engine in a WW conversion uses new internal components i.e. rods and pistons. MM has 1 crank. Has it flown? Will 2 1/2 times stronger result in significant increase in fatigue resistance? Will there be harmonic issues? Quality control issues? Is it from China? We don't know. If you advise people to go this way based on no real experience you are advising them to become a test pilot (assuming they can actually get a crank - the website still says they can't). Will you guarantee it? Will MM guarantee it based on no test experience? You are giving advice based on seeing an engine that has not flown based on a crank that is not available and even if it was has not been tested.

The real issue with the corvair design for aircraft (and the VW) is that the end bearing is not designed for prop loads - it isn't big enough. WW has figured this out as have others. Making the crank stronger does not necessarily address this. A bigger bearing does. It took many years and higher power installations for the crank issue to present itself. It is only with many hundreds of hrs of testing that this new crank will prove itself if it becomes commercially available, which it is NOT right now. So telling people that it is way better is simply guesswork from somebody with no experience (other than having seen one) representing a company with no experience. And selling a component that has not been tested is irresponsible.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics CorvairEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List

sblack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

"whiz bang stuff from the conscientious and well paid craftsman in land of Mao."

That's classic! I almost want to put that up on my wall!

Scott
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

MRus597999(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: CorvairEngines-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 01/08/11 Reply with quote

Well you obviously haven't been watching WW website, MM engines have flown and are fying. Read WW website and discover the issue he has had with his broken cranks, including nitrided ones. I have personally talked to some of WW engine users who had broken cranks.Not jsut the ones mentioned by WW on his website or in his book, a book that I have on my shelf next to this computer. This builder regretted not getting another type engine in the first place. If you want to continue to believe WW's own personal promotion and publicity go ahead, It's all anecdotal and all comes from WW himself. Has any independent agency really looked at his work? No! it all comes from him and those that haven't crashed yet. By your logic all new parts are suspect and 100,000 mile cranks are not; In this instance I have personally seen both operations at work. They are both respectable and I don't criticize either. Nor will I slavishly "adore" one as opposed to the other. WW is knowledgeable and I subscribe to his ideas wholeheartedly, but it turns me off when the first thing out his mouth is to bad mouth others in the field. He has personally expressed to me in personal conversations regarding Aeromax, and the well respected and long time builder of corvair engines from Long Beach, as well as others. It is unnecessary.

I'm a little turned off by WW arrogance and disdain for anything not of WW. But to rebut your argument that WW does not make the parts or sell then realize that WW does sell nitrided cranks, look at his website; look at his books that show pictures of them. The crank IS the crux of this engine. You can't do anything with your corvair engine with a broken crank in flight. He has and does sell engines. Ask some of those who have had broken cranks in flight, including Langford, who has broken a couple including used nitrided ones. What do you say then about WW's excpertise. Other parts are new that are to be installed. Are all my parts in my corvair to be new EXCEPT the crank?

By the way. Interestingly enough, the only cranks to break are those in engines that were "souped" up or overstressed. The standard engine without a 5th bearing did fine and none broke around the 4th bearing.

MDR
PS, this is my last post and I will respond to no more postings. Do what you wish, you are obviously married to WW and are not seeking even a trial separation to look at others who have some interesting things to do and say in this rather interesting field involving flying contraptions.

In a message dated 1/11/2011 4:48:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, scott-black(at)sympatico.ca writes:
Quote:
You don't build a WW engine. You build a corvair engine useing his conversion method and accessories. You are in charge and you take responsibility for what you do. It is not up to him to guarantee your work. And for what its worth, the rest of the engine in a WW conversion uses new internal components i.e. rods and pistons. MM has 1 crank. Has it flown? Will 2 1/2 times stronger result in significant increase in fatigue resistance? Will there be harmonic issues? Quality control issues? Is it from China? We don't know. If you advise people to go this way based on no real experience you are advising them to become a test pilot (assuming they can actually get a crank - the website still says they can't). Will you guarantee it? Will MM guarantee it based on no test experience? You are giving advice based on seeing an engine that has not flown based on a crank that is not available and even if it was has not been tested.

The real issue with the corvair design for aircraft (and the VW) is that the end bearing is not designed for prop loads - it isn't big enough. WW has figured this out as have others. Making the crank stronger does not necessarily address this. A bigger bearing does. It took many years and higher power installations for the crank issue to present itself. It is only with many hundreds of hrs of testing that this new crank will prove itself if it becomes commercially available, which it is NOT right now. So telling people that it is way better is simply guesswork from somebody with no experience (other than having seen one) representing a company with no experience. And selling a component that has not been tested is irresponsible.
Quote:

====================================
s-List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?CorvairEngines-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> CorvairEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: