Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical Problem (YAK-50)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem (YAK-50) Reply with quote

Just behind the engine open the lower inspection door underneath the aircraft. 
Stand up inside of that hole. 
Look towards the front of the aircraft
Up near the top right mounted on the engine firewall is a large enclosed electrical panel. 
Open this panel by removing... as I remember... the four screws on each corner.
Look into the middle of this panel and you will see a rather large electrical BUS FUSE. 
This will be black in color, round, and about oh... 2 inches long or so.  It will have a 90 degree terminal SOLDERED onto each end of the fuse, and held in by nuts on a stud as I remember.
I can not remember the rating on it... but it's about 20 or 30 amps. 
CHECK THIS FUSE FOR CONTINUITY... or better yet, just turn on the electrical master and verify that you have 28 volts DC on both sides of this fuse. 
These things go bad... not only because they BLOW, but because they fail internally and literally just fall apart inside from long term vibration. 
If it is bad, then go to the local electrical supply house and find one of the same amperage and length.  Solder the 90 degree terminals to each end.  If you have to, you can make new terminals to fit the fuse that you end up with.  Once you see the thing you'll know what I mean and what is needed. 
Forget about finding a new Russian fuse to go in there.   It's possible, but not likely and not worth the effort.  Been there done that. 
There is no promise that this is your problem, but given your description, it is the first place to look.  If you have no voltage on EITHER side of the fuse, then you have a main contactor relay problem more than likely... but again, given how you described the failure, you have high hopes for it being this fuse.  Your description was one of falling voltage.  A fuse will do this.  In the future, you need to check both the voltage and the current draw using the meter in the aircraft as all this is happening.  Looking at it, it shows current draw and should normally be close to zero.  Pushing in the button shows voltage, and my guess is that this was going all over the place and ending up at zero. 
The YAK-52 has ALMOST the same panel.. but it is located in a different place and is not a direct replacement.
Mark Bitterlich
N50YK
wa3jpy

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Problem (YAK-50) Reply with quote

I printed this and took it to the mechanics and as soon as I walked in the door, they yelled the found the problem...and it was the fuse.

Now, I head down to the local electric store and lie to them that this for a Russian Generator (I learned this after mentioning airplane a few times and being told no thanks). They did not have anything but McMaster has a butt load of fuses. I just need to figure out which one I need.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BitterlichMG(at)cherrypoi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem (YAK-50) Reply with quote

You're welcome. 
It happened to me after landing at Kissimmee Florida in July.  Borrowed a meter and spent the whole evening finding that dang thing.  Glad to have saved you and your mechanics the aggravation. 
Mark
n50yk
p.s.  Tim, the AMP rating of the fuse is written right on it.  I am sure it was either 20 or 30 amps.  You do have an alternative that makes a lot of sense... leave the freaking fuse OUT of the thing and replace it with an American circuit breaker.  Standard 28 volt type found at just about every Air Force base in the country. If you still can not find the rating of that fuse... let me know... I have the old one sitting around someplace.

--

rkent(at)wlacrussianeng.c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem (YAK-50) Reply with quote

Mark,

If it's the ИМ-30 fuse, no effort is needed to find it. I've got some here.

Regards

Rob Kent
Stores Manager
WLAC - Russian Engineering
www.wlacrussianeng.co.uk

Tel: +44 1628 829 165
Fax: +44 1628 828 961
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: