Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

carburetor ice and electric carb. heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: carburetor ice and electric carb. heater Reply with quote

Although Rotax 912 series engines with the Bing 64 carburetors are not very prone to carburetor ice, it does happen under some conditions. On the return trip from Clarksville, Tennessee to Buffalo, New York this past Monday. I experienced carb. ice when approaching the relatively high humidity region near Lake Erie. We were cruising at 5,500' msl at 5,200 rpm when I noticed a slow descent and lower engine RPM (5,000 rpm). The OAT was about 43F (6C), nearly ideal conditions for carb. ice with high humidity.

Since our engine is not equipped with carb. heat, I advanced the throttle but no change in power or RPM and we kept descending slowly. The engine was obviously developing less power than two mintues before but there was no indication other than the lower RPM and lack of increase with full throttle. I cycled the throttle to idle and back to full throttle a couple times and it cleared up completely without skipping a bit and never returned for the remainder of the 600nm flight.

Moral of story is when in high humidity conditions keep a watchful eye on RPM when cruising. If you catch it early it can usually be cleared very easily and quickly on this type carb. by cycling the throttle to idle and back a couple of times. Once the ice starts building up it continues to build up rapidly and becomes serious very quickly if not dealt with early.

I've heard someone makes an electric carb. heater for the Bing 64 but don't know who sells them. Anyone out there know abou this and a source? I know the HKS engine importer in the USA sells a 12 watt one for the HKS which uses the Bing 64 carbs. but I don't think that is enough power to de-ice a carb once the ice starts forming. I've heard there is a 60 watt model available somewhere.

Thom in Buffalo

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
dave(at)dreamwings.co.za

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: carburetor ice and electric carb. heater Reply with quote

Thom

These guys sell a water based carb heater.
http://www.skydrive.co.uk/sd_sa_ch.asp Hot water from your engine is used
to heat the throat of the carb.

Dave
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

akfotoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: carburetor ice and electric carb. heater Reply with quote

Yes, I too have encountered carb ice in both the 912 and R582 engines while flying near the water here in Alaska. Cyling the throttle is a preferred method if you don't run a heater, and works by going back to idle.
I believe there is both an electric carb heater, and one that fits around the collar of the intake side of the carbs that is feed from the engine coolant.

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: carburetor ice and electric carb. heater Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. Keeping alert to conditions that are likely to produce ice, detecting it quickly and reacting quickly seems to work well enough for now. If it occurrs more regularly, then we will probably add one of carb heat systems.

Thom in Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: