Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booster coil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBaker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Can anyone send me some pics of where the wires hook up in side the mag? I think the left one? Like the high voltage wire and I assume there is a power supply to it,But what about the wires or wire to the P lead or something?

Cheers Henry

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Please see the attached service bulletin. It has pix of how to do it.
George Coy
CAS Ltd.
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com
http://coyafct.com/
SKYPE george.coy

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SPK01_service_bulletin_FINAL_(2).pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SPK01_service_bulletin_FINAL_(2).pdf
 Filesize:  969.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1245 Time(s)

HBaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

George

I have the old type, and I could not find how to hook it up in the manual anywhere .

Henry

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Henry, the service bulletin I sent shows how to put the high tension wire
into the magneto. You need to tell me if you have a Russian unit or one of
the T-6 units. The Russian unit has two wires the high tension lead out of
the unit and a wire into the unit that applies 28 volts when are pressing
the start button. I do not know anything about the T-6 units but they
should not be difficult to figure out. They all work the same way.
George Coy
CAS Ltd.
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com
http://coyafct.com/
SKYPE george.coy

--

HBaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

What I really need to know is where the P leads wire enters the mag case and where the wire connects inside. Also need to know where the p-lead ground shield should connect on the mag.

Thanks,

Henry

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

The P leads are at the back end of the mag closest to the firewall. The P lead is a knurled nut with a semi-circular locking spring clip holding it in place. When you remove the P lead from the mag you will see where and how the shield is soldered to the inner section of the knurled nut. The other end of the P lead goes directly to the mag switch. You can make a continuity check with an ohm meter from the P lead to the mag switch position 1 or 2. Position 1 is the left mag.
Dennis

[quote] ---

HBaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

Thanks again for your reply I see now where it enters the mag but this is a new installation. How and where does the shielded wire connect inside the mag??

Thanks Henry Moose 294

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

It doesn't connect inside the mag. It connects via the knurled knob which holds the part that inserts into the mag. Do you have new mags and do they have the knurled knobs on the back end of the mag? If you'll wait until tomorrow, I'll try to take a picture of the knurled knob and the P-lead and email it to you. If you don't have new mags that have the knurled knobs screwed into them, you'll need to order 2 assemblies from either Doug Sapp or Jill at M14P.

Maybe Doug has a drawing or photo of the knurled knob and parts that screw into the mag?
Dennis

[quote] ---

HBaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

Thanks again

Yes I do have the new mags and I know the knurled knob you are talking about. I looked inside and saw cap like a tire valve cap. Still confused though. a pic would be great. The center connector of the shielded wire would be soldered in place???
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Ahh! You solder the wire to the inside of the cap that looks like the tire valve cap. The shield gets soldered to the insulated ring that goes around the cap. The knurled knob touches the insulated ring and the shield is grounded to the mag case when the knurled knob is screwed into the mag.
Dennis

[quote] ---

HBaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

OK, Thanks !
That makes sense now. I'll take a closer look at this in the morning.

How about the booster coil ? Power to the 2 nut stud and the case is already grounded ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Booster coil - yes, I believe you are correct. I just don't remember without looking at one.
Dennis
[quote] ---

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

The booster coil has two screw in connectors. One for the main output voltage which
takes a rather special piece that sits down in the socket and makes contact with the
high voltage winding on the coil. This piece looks very close to the "cigarette" that is
installed in the mag itself for almost the same purpose. This piece is held on with a
screw on threaded cap.

The input voltage to the boost coil is fed in on the END of the unit.  It too has a threaded
on piece that is used to ground the shield, with a fitting that is almost exactly the same
as that which screws on to the OUTSIDE of the mag that Dennis was talking about
earlier. Just to be clear ... on that former subject..... one does not take the mag apart
to get to ANYTHING inside the mag to connect the P Lead wire.   The mag stays
closed with the top screwed down. You never go inside of it.  Instead you have a
special piece that is soldered onto the end of the shielded P lead wire. This special
piece then slides into a HOLE on the back of the mag. Again, you do not take
anything apart to get at this. This special phenolic piece slides in and makes contact
with an internal piece of spring metal. Then the CAP SCREW is tightened down to
hold this piece in place. The shield of the P lead is soldered to the CAP SCREW
PIECE and is grounded when you tighten the connector down. Doing this right is
CRITICAL to avoid severe radio noise. I mean SEVERE.

The boost coil is the same way. The high voltage lead must be shielded and the shield
grounded at the special connector. Otherwise the boost coil starting wire will act as a
very nice antenna even when not starting, and your radios will be next to useless.

To attach the actual power leads (as Dennis said: 24 vdc) to the coil, you need to
split the case of the boost coil in half. (remove the 4 screws on the side after un-
bending the locking tabs).

Inside you will see a terminal right next to a black knurled knob that is used to
adjust the point gap on the buzzer that makes the thing work to begin with. That
is your GROUND connection. As you are looking at the thing face on, with that
terminal facing you, you will see the black adjustment knob on the left, then going
clockwise you will see the double-nutted terminal that is the GROUND.  Going
further clockwise you will see a terminal that is stand alone. It is hooked to
nothing else electrically. All by itself. That is the main 28 vdc power input
connection. Going further around (about 5 o'clock now) you will see a nut
that connects to the buzzer leaf spring) . Leave that alone. 

The unit does not get it's ground from the case.

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich

p.s. Be very careful if you don't have the right connection fittings and you decide
to wire it up as best you can. Especially the P lead on the mag. I have seen
(personally) radio receiver front ends blown from the noise the mag can create
if the P lead shield is not right. Good luck.

--- On Fri, 1/1/10, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

[quote]
From: A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Booster coil
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, January 1, 2010, 10:54 PM

Booster coil - yes, I believe you are correct. I just don't remember without looking at one.
Dennis
[quote] ---

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

One last comment. Since you are building a Moose, it is very likely that you have
the engine in hand, (thus the questions) along with the Boost Coil, but you do not
have the special Russian wiring pieces that connect to them. Those pieces are
typically part of the original Russian or Chinese wiring harness.  I suggest that you
try to get these very special piece/parts so that you can duplicate the original set-up.

Mark

--- On Sat, 1/2/10, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: M14PEngines-List: Re: Booster coil
Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 7:28 PM

The booster coil has two screw in connectors. One for the main output voltage which
takes a rather special piece that sits down in the socket and makes contact with the
high voltage winding on the coil. This piece looks very close to the "cigarette" that is
installed in the mag itself for almost the same purpose. This piece is held on with a
screw on threaded cap.

The input voltage to the boost coil is fed in on the END of the unit.  It too has a threaded
on piece that is used to ground the shield, with a fitting that is almost exactly the same
earlier. Just to be clear ... on that former subject..... one does not take the mag apart
to get to ANYTHING inside the mag to connect the P Lead wire.   The mag stays
closed with the top screwed down. You never go inside of it.  Instead you have a
special piece that is soldered onto the end of the shielded P lead wire. This special
anything apart to get at this. This special phenolic piece slides in and makes contact

The boost coil is the same way. The high voltage lead must be shielded and the shield
grounded at the special connector. Otherwise the boost coil starting wire will act as a
very nice antenna even when not starting, and your radios will be next to useless.

To attach the actual power leads (as Dennis said: 24 vdc) to the coil, you need to
split the case of the boost coil in half. (remove the 4 screws on the side after un-

Inside you will see a terminal right next to a black knurled knob that is used to
adjust the point gap on the buzzer that makes the thing work to begin with. That
terminal facing you, you will see the black adjustment knob on the left, then going
clockwise you will see the double-nutted terminal that is the GROUND.  Going

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich

p.s. Be very careful if you don't have the right connection fittings and you decide

[quote]

Dennis
[quote] ---

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

Mark, I guess I am confused by your explanation.. Perhaps you are talking about CJ mags and I am not familiar with them. I will post today on the
motorstarna.com website the SPK-01 service bulletin.It is too big to meet the guidelines for posting on the maltronics site.
It shows in pictures and words the instillation of the wires at the magneto end. It is absolutely necessary to remove the mag cap and rotor cap to thread the high tension lead into the magneto. I believe that you are also talking about connections to the Russian (and maybe Chinese) type booster coil. I believe that many people are using the T6 type of booster coils which are very different as well. They can be de-tuned to run on 12 volts. We also now produce a solid state "boozer coil" called the SPK-01 that runs on any voltage form 9V to 32V.

George Coy
CAS Ltd.
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)
http://coyafct.com/[url=http://coyacft.com/][/url]
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-m14pengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Yak Pilot
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 7:28 PM

screw on threaded cap.

The input voltage to the boost coil is fed in on the END of the unit. It too has a threaded
to get to ANYTHING inside the mag to connect the P Lead wire. The mag stays
closed with the top screwed down. You never go inside of it. Instead you have a

clockwise you will see the double-nutted terminal that is the GROUND. Going

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich

[quote]

Dennis
[quote] ---

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

George,

If you were confused by my reply, then it obviously was not good enough.
Sorry! I was talking about M-14 Booster Coils for the Yaks.

We were talking about two things:

1. The actual electrical connections to the Booster (Shower of
Sparks... Whatever you want to call it) coil that is external to the
mag. That coil has the high voltage lead that goes into the MAG for
starting... Goes to the retarded point in the rotor as I am sure you
know! Also talking about the 28 vdc hookup to that coil. Power to
which is supplied when you push the starter button.

2. Where the P lead actually connects to the MAG (on the side, with the
screw in connector).

You're right, some people are indeed using the T6 (and other type)
coils. I have no personal experience at all with those. My comments
were focused on just the Chinese and Russian Starting Booster Coils.

I'd like to hear more about your SPK-01 ~!!!!~
Mark

--

HBaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I think I have the Mag thing figured out, but to be absolutely sure see if I have this right . The "P" lead wire coming from your mag switch enters at the rear of the mag through the knurled knob you remove the knurled knob and remove the tire like cap on the end. Peel back the outer braided shield wire push the center wire through and solder it on, then screw the 'tire like ' valve cap back on .Then take the outer braided shielded wire and wrap it around the treads on the knurled knob screw it on and flip the lock spring.

HBaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Booster coil Reply with quote

Hi guys

This is the booster coil I have , I have one wire + 12 on the double nutted nut. The ground wire neg is on the chassis because I have it mounted with Adel clamps. Is this correct? I Have it wired to start with "mags off". The boost coil operates ONLY when the start button, air or electric, is depressed. After the engine starts I turn on the mags.

Cheers Henry Moose 294

100_1628.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  884.04 KB
 Viewed:  19506 Time(s)

100_1628.JPG

100_1627.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  926 KB
 Viewed:  19506 Time(s)

100_1627.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

That is incorrect... Assuming it is a standard Russian or Chineese
booster coil. If you are using something else, please let me know ok?

First, it is a 24 volt unit, not a 12 volt unit. It MIGHT work at 12
volts but will never have the correct output.

The ground goes on the double nut, not the positive voltage.

You've got it backwards.

Putting the ground wire neg on the chassis will not work.

Please go back and read what I sent you before.

With it hooked up as you have stated, it simply will not work... But
since you do not have a complete circuit, you won't blow anything up.

"The boost coil operates ONLY when the start button, air or electric,
is depressed. After the engine starts I turn on the mags."

That is correct.

To repeat:

To attach the actual power leads (as Dennis said: 24 vdc) to the coil,
you need to split the case of the boost coil in half. (remove the 4
screws on the side after un- bending the locking tabs).

Inside you will see a terminal right next to a black knurled knob that
is used to adjust the point gap on the buzzer that makes the thing work
to begin with. That is your GROUND connection. IT ALSO HAD A DOUBLE NUT
ON IT!!! As you are looking at the thing face on, with that terminal
facing you, you will see the black adjustment knob on the left, then
going clockwise you will see the double-nutted terminal that is the
GROUND.

Going further clockwise you will see a terminal that is stand alone. It
is hooked to nothing else electrically. All by itself. That is the
main 28 vdc power input connection. Going further around (about 5
o'clock now) you will see a nut that connects to the buzzer leaf spring)
. Leave that alone.

--

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Booster coil Reply with quote

I think you have it now. Make sure when you have it all done and you go
to remove the "knurled knob" that you hold the part that the shield gets
soldered to still as you rotate the threaded knurled knob, or you will
end up twisting the shield right off. Happens all the time to many
owners and this is where they end up getting all that radio noise from!
Next, from memory (it's been about 5 years), I think that the center
wire.. The actual P lead itself, gets SOLDERED to something as well and
then you screw that tire cap looking thing over the end of it. I am
pretty sure EVERYTHING gets soldered. I can take on apart tonight and
look if you would like.

On the shield, no you have that wrong.

When you grab the threaded knurled knob, you will see that as you hold
it in your hand, there is ANOTHER piece that it slides OVER. That piece
looks like a little FUNNEL, where the top of the funnel comes out the
BACK of the threaded knurled knob. You push the whole wire THROUGH that
center piece, push the shield back and solder it to the INSIDE of that
funnel piece. You do NOT just take the shield and wrap it around
anything.

You need a picture! And that is not an insult... It is very hard to
describe this thing.

Mark

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: