Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bail out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.j(at)yakuk.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: bail out Reply with quote

In the UK there was a dead stick of a Knat, yes you read right Folland Knat!! Engine quit and pax would not eject when instructed, so pilot landed straight ahead in open field and all was well. Amazing when you consider touch down was in the region of 90kts or more. (MJ estimate)

As I said in my last post, 18ft / sec vertical is a darn site safer than 65kts horizontal. It was only a MIG 15, 100’s more of them why on earth try to “save” one of them. L-29 has the same seat I believe, basically a single cartridge just a bit bigger than a 12 gauge shot gun. It will throw you about 30 ft I think.

BTW, I have a full set of L-29 manuals, about 12 books or more I believe, all English.

I had heard from people that in a conversation with his Mig-15 show
      partner he always said he would rather land the plane than eject,
      while his partner maintained that he would bail out.

Ejection is dangerous business, so is dead stick landing a jet. Had he
      lived, would he have been right or wrong? Its anybody's guess.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
fish(at)aviation-tech.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: bail out Reply with quote

Mark Jefferies,
Skip Holm (SR-71, USAF & Lockheed Test Pilot, Reno Air racer), also dead sticked
a Knat while he was ferrying it and lost an engine. I beleive it was last year
or the year before. Then had a second plane drop him off so he could ferry a
anouther aircraft the same day.
Fly Safe
John Fischer
Yak-52, N213YA
Quote:

In the UK there was a dead stick of a Knat, yes you read right Folland
Knat!! Engine quit and pax would not eject when instructed, so pilot landed

Quote:
straight ahead in open field and all was well. Amazing when you consider
touch down was in the region of 90kts or more. (MJ estimate)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gpw678(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: bail out Reply with quote

the incident in the Uk Re the GNAT, It was a friend of mine on the way to meet me at an airshow. He lost all thrust except idle, this happened as he turned downwind. He opted to stay with the jet as he was over a congested area just north of london. the landing speed was in the region of 150+ knots into a field. he survived and later flew a cessna 172 back to the show.
And Yes , we had more than a few beers later that night.

ger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: