Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyPaulk(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

List
At 78 hrs. my left tank VDO fuel level sender started weeping fuel thru the center wire connector fitting. i am planning to drain the fuel, clean the area with solvent and try to cover the area with proseal to stop the leak. if that does not work i will try to remove the sender thru the access hole. i do not want to remove the tank.
has anyone had this problem. any solutions.

thanks
bobby
N131BP
601 XL

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Before I installed my tanks I pressure checked everything and made sure the gauges worked. Go figure, after sitting for a year I finally put fuel in the tanks.
The darn things didnt read at all. I guess the time spent without fuel caused the rheostats to corrode or something like that.
For whatever reason I had to remove the senders. Each checked out bad.
The manufacturer , VDO, is now Continental....
I ve had a very bad time purchasing new senders. Zenith helped by supplying new ones but they were the wrong ones for my gauges....I had to purchase SN 39 senders online.
Made for Ford trucks they are the VDO equivalent...
This whole story comes down to this: It was such a hassle to remove the senders that I decided to seal off the 59mm holes in the tank ends and go the "old way" by installing the senders on top of the wing...
This has been a very good move...
If I were to build again, I would be sure to have the senders on top.
I have pictures of the "rebuild" if your interested.
It took less than a day and I m now happy.....

Steve

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

steerr(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

I, too, had a bad sender (but just one, not two). I got a price from
Zenith for a replacement and then checked around on the net. I finally
purchased one from Don's Sport Vehicle Sales in Perry, Michigan. Phone
numbers are 1-800-303-6211 or 1-800-636-0669. It was the exact same
sender I originally got from Zenith.

Hope this helps somebody.

Bill
steve wrote:
Quote:
Before I installed my tanks I pressure checked everything and made
sure the gauges worked. Go figure, after sitting for a year I finally
put fuel in the tanks.
The darn things didnt read at all. I guess the time spent without
fuel caused the rheostats to corrode or something like that.
I ve had a very bad time purchasing new senders. Zenith helped by
supplying new ones but they were the wrong ones for my gauges....I had
to purchase SN 39 senders online.
This whole story comes down to this: It was such a hassle to remove
the senders that I decided to seal off the 59mm holes in the tank ends
and go the "old way" by installing the senders on top of the wing...

Steve

ashleyw(at)gvtc.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Bobby,

I had similar problem with fuel leaking past on of the screws.

Check that yours is actually the the sender and not an upper screw leak showing up on the wire.

In any case, I backed the screws out an put some thread lube on the and that solved the problem.

The senders are not that difficult to remove thru the access hole.

If as you think it is the sender leaking I would try the proseal before getting a new sender.

In any case, you should not have to open the wing to fix it.

Floyd Wilkes
601XL
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

I talked to Zenith and was told that the VDO senders were unsatisfactory.
People are having problems with the brand.. Personally I like VDO.
When new they worked great. My point is that I m old and dont like to
mess around in uncomfortable positions, trying to get the senders in and out
of the wing through the ribs.
No matter what brand of senders I like the access thru the top wing skin.
Its sooooooo much easier to remove now and it can be done with fuel in the
tank.......
SW
---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

In my case, removing the sender was no big deal. Getting them back in was...
It aint easy working with one hand thru the small rib hole.
I was so frustrated , and when I saw how other builders installed the senders on top of the wing, well that was for me.

SW
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Im also sure that when you get it all worked out, you will probably never
need to open it up again. How often do people need to remove their senders
in automobiles ???

---

eldenej(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Steve,

Might we ask you to post the photos on the list?

Thanks,

Elden Jacobson
xl/3300

--- On Sat, 2/21/09, steve <notsew_evets(at)frontiernet.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: Fuel Leak
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Saturday, February 21, 2009, 11:31 PM

#yiv1208483879 P {
MARGIN:0px;}
Before I installed my tanks I pressure checked everything and made sure the gauges worked.  Go figure, after sitting for a year I finally put fuel in the tanks. 
The darn things didnt read at all.  I guess the time spent without fuel caused the rheostats to corrode or something like that.
For whatever reason I had to remove the senders.  Each checked out bad

Flydog1966(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Twice in 4 years. Ford truck.

In a message dated 2/21/2009 11:17:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, notsew_evets(at)frontiernet.net writes:
Quote:
How often do people need to remove their senders
in automobiles ???

You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how to find them. Start with AOL Personals.
[quote][b]

jbrumpt(at)activ8.net.au

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Could you please forward some pictures to the list & specify the senders and gauges you used and where they were purchased from at what cost?
Thanks
John
---

ashontz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

I'm building my tanks now. I actually went ahead and decided on my own to put the sender on top. Glad I did. Just a generic fuel sender from Pep Boys, sender and gauge, $40 total. To mount the sender I made a ring backer plate out of .0125 aluminum and tapped the ring for 10-32 brass machine screws. Also, I cut a notch of of the ring to essentially make it horseshoe shape so that it can be installed through the access hole in the tank that the sender sits in. I install the assembly by using a piece of 12" long all-thread to hold the backer plate in place from the inside while I start to install the sender from the outside. Works really well and would work well for a retrofit for moving the sender to a new location after the fact.

[quote="notsew_evets(at)frontiern"]Before I installed my tanks I pressure checked everything and made sure the gauges worked. Go figure, after sitting for a year I finally put fuel in the tanks.
The darn things didnt read at all. I guess the time spent without fuel caused the rheostats to corrode or something like that.
I ve had a very bad time purchasing new senders. Zenith helped by supplying new ones but they were the wrong ones for my gauges....I had to purchase SN 39 senders online.
This whole story comes down to this: It was such a hassle to remove the senders that I decided to seal off the 59mm holes in the tank ends and go the "old way" by installing the senders on top of the wing...

Steve

Quote:
---

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

I ll be happy to send you all pictures of how I installed the senders on the top of the fuel tanks. I do have a slight problem. Seems I cant post on matronics. All I can do is reply to your emails.
About six months ago I got totally fed up with the website, with all of the wannabies spewing BS.
There was much information that was not from actual builders and some of it was down right "off base".
Remember the guy who told us to put weights on the trailing edge of the ailerons?... Thats his suggestion on balancing to stop flutter....
I hope things are better now.
I m on the Zenith site now. Its for builders and flyers.
So far the scoop seems ok....

SW
[quote] ---

eldenej(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Steve,

I'd be delighted to receive such photos; I am at the point of having to make basic decisions about the fuel tanks. Thanks    eldenej(at)yahoo.com

--- On Mon, 2/23/09, steve <notsew_evets(at)frontiernet.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: Fuel Leak
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 3:55 AM

#yiv30729176 P {
MARGIN:0px;}
I ll be happy to send you all pictures of how I installed the senders on the top of the fuel tanks.  I do have a slight problem.  Seems I cant post on matronics.  All I can do is reply to your emails.
About six months ago I got totally fed up with the website, with all of the wannabies spewing BS.
There was much information that was not from actual builders and some of it was down right "off base".
Remember the guy who told us to put weights on the trailing edge of the ailerons?...  Thats his suggestion on balancing to stop flutter....
I hope things are better now.
I m on the Zenith site now.  Its for builders and flyers.
So far the scoop seems ok....

SW

---

jbrumpt(at)activ8.net.au

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Reply with quote

Steve
Could you email me on jbrumpt(at)activ8.net.au (jbrumpt(at)activ8.net.au)
Thanks
John

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: