Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forward Canopy Rubber Seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

I have my canopy in place and have an issue with aesthetics. Where the seal contacts the painted forward skin, it is leaving a black residue line. I would like to lay down something similar to black tape or trim to 'hide' the residue line. Any suggestions on what to put here? All the black sticky-back foam seal that I have seen is too thick for the fit of my seal. There is no way I would use black electrical tape, but something along that thickness is what I am thinking about.

Thanks for any suggestions,

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

How about paint?

Paul
do not archive

At 10:51 AM 6/27/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I have my canopy in place and have an issue with aesthetics. Where
the seal contacts the painted forward skin, it is leaving a black
residue line. I would like to lay down something similar to black
tape or trim to 'hide' the residue line. Any suggestions on what to
put here? All the black sticky-back foam seal that I have seen is
too thick for the fit of my seal. There is no way I would use black
electrical tape, but something along that thickness is what I am
thinking about.

--------
David Gallagher
601 XL, working on final assembly.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

What I'm planning to do is put some sort of matte black finish on the forward skin that covered by the canopy. (What we would call a dash in a car.) This will extend out to the area covered by the rubber seal. The primary reason for this is to reduce glare.

DaveG601XL wrote:
I have my canopy in place and have an issue with aesthetics. Where the seal contacts the painted forward skin, it is leaving a black residue line. I would like to lay down something similar to black tape or trim to 'hide' the residue line. Any suggestions on what to put here? All the black sticky-back foam seal that I have seen is too thick for the fit of my seal. There is no way I would use black electrical tape, but something along that thickness is what I am thinking about.

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

That's also what I did, flat black paint on the dash.

Quote:

>

What I'm planning to do is put some sort of matte black finish on
the forward skin that covered by the canopy. (What we would call a
dash in a car.) This will extend out to the area covered by the
rubber seal. The primary reason for this is to reduce glare.
DaveG601XL wrote:
> I have my canopy in place and have an issue with aesthetics. Where
> the seal contacts the painted forward skin, it is leaving a black
> residue line. I would like to lay down something similar to black
> tape or trim to 'hide' the residue line. Any suggestions on what
> to put here? All the black sticky-back foam seal that I have seen
> is too thick for the fit of my seal. There is no way I would use
> black electrical tape, but something along that thickness is what I
> am thinking about.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

Yes, painting it black is certainly an option. Right now my entire forward skin is painted gray. I guess one thing I did not add to my original post is that I do have a fit issue with the canopy and the skin down towards the rails. The canopy does not quite follow the contour here. I told Todd (Todd's Canopies) about the problem. He cautioned me about using a heat gun or hair dryer to bend the canopy in due to the possibility of crazing. If I do not decide to try and heat it, I was going to put some weatherstrip foam to bridge the gap (about 3/8"). Then I was thinking about putting some sort of rubberized tape along the entire contact surface covering both the weatherstrip and rubber deposits.

Interestingly enough, the aft canopy seal contacts polished aluminum and the are no rubber deposits at all.

Thanks,

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

I have polished aluminum front and rear and the seal leaves no marks.
Maybe the rubber is sticks to the paint more than bare aluminum.

On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:23 AM, DaveG601XL wrote:

Quote:

Interestingly enough, the aft canopy seal contacts polished aluminum
and the are no rubber deposits at all.

Thanks,

do not archive.
carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Forward Canopy Rubber Seal Reply with quote

How 'bout rubbing talcum powder on the seal?

Carlos

2008/6/28 Bryan Martin <bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net (bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net)>:
[quote] --> Zenith601-List message posted by: Bryan Martin <bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net (bryanmmartin(at)comcast.net)>

I have polished aluminum front and rear and the seal leaves no marks. Maybe the rubber is sticks to the paint more than bare aluminum.

On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:23 AM, DaveG601XL wrote:

Quote:

Interestingly enough, the aft canopy seal contacts polished aluminum and the are no rubber deposits at all.

Thanks,

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: