Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601 hds performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant.corriveau(at)telus.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: 601 hds performance Reply with quote

When people ask how long it took to build GHTF my answer is "I'm not finished."  I'm just flying it now while I keep working on it.  One day if I finish cutting new holes, and changing things and get it where I like it, maybe I'll finally spend some time to make it look 'purdy' ... Right now it's just bare aluminum (no polish or wax) ... poor thing.
But it's a testimony to Chris Heinz' basic assumptions that 1/ you don't have to be a craftsman to build his aircraft.  2/ it's a fine flying little machine even when built by a raw beginner non-craftsman like me... 3/ and once the bare aluminum dulls in the weather, it doesn't Need much more than that for exteriour finishing.  But of course one day I'd love to get a really bright paint job of some sort on it.
For those wondering what to expect when finished and flying the HDS, here are some numbers I recorded during a short test flight this evening, June 20th at Qualicum Beach (CAT4).  I was zeroing in on endurance speed and trying to see how little power I could use to maintain level flight.  Turns out to be less than I originally guessed.  And I couldn't find much of a "slow flight" envelope if you use the official definition of slow flight (i.e. on the backside of the power curve).

The airplane handles very smoothly right down to the stall burble - very easy to control.  I'm starting to get happier with my landings - I've only got 63 hours on the plane since first flight in July 2001!  stuff happens....  I call it my brand new seven-year-old plane.

June 20th 2008 At 16°C; 2,500 feet; 1060 lbs (just me and 1/2 fuel)

Warp Drive 3 bladed composite tapered 70“ dia. (at) 16.5 degrees at tip.
prop / engine rpm (prop rpm rounded to nearest 100)
2200 / 5,300 = 120 mph (max continuous cruise power limit)
2100 / 5,000 = 110 mph
2,000 / 4,800 = 105 mph
1,800 / 4,400 = 80 mph
1,600 / 4,000 = 70 mph
1,500 / 3,700 = 60 mph
1,500 / 3,700 = 50 mph on verge of stall in level flight! cool

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: