Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I will not quit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan(at)rdan.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I had a week moment,,,, with a 2 year old QB-8 in the garage which I look at every day but had not worked much in about a year. I'd been busy with work and life I had lost interest and motivation to get back into the project.
I decided to sell it.
When my 11 year old daughter found out she was astounded and asked a simple question "Why are you going to quit? I thought you wanted to build the plane"

Simply put,,
never give up

So I will build, and not just for me,,

I went out dusted it off and built a simple rewarding thing like build the front seat,
I'm back on a roll, in the grove, it will fly,

Dan
Lake Stevens WA
Reserved N728RV

I will never give up, it will fly

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
dan(at)rdan.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I had a week moment,,,, with a 2 year old QB-8 in the garage which I look at every day but had not worked much in about a year. I'd been busy with work and life I had lost interest and motivation to get back into the project.
I decided to sell it.
When my 11 year old daughter found out she was astounded and asked a simple question "Why are you going to quit? I thought you wanted to build the plane"

Simply put,,
never give up

I went out dusted it off and built a simple rewarding thing like build the front seat,

Dan
Lake Stevens WA
Reserved N728RV

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

truflite(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I told my wife the only way my plane will not fly is
if I die first. Build on!

Dave Nellis
7A Slider-wings
--- Dan <dan(at)rdan.com> wrote:

Quote:
I had a week moment,,,, with a 2 year old QB-8 in
the garage which I look at every day but had not
worked much in about a year. I'd been busy with work
and life I had lost interest and motivation to get
back into the project.
I decided to sell it.
When my 11 year old daughter found out she was
astounded and asked a simple question "Why are you
going to quit? I thought you wanted to build the
plane"

Simply put,,
never give up

I went out dusted it off and built a simple
rewarding thing like build the front seat,

Dan
Lake Stevens WA
Reserved N728RV

jsflyrv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

When I built my RV-6 there were no such things as quick built anything,
I would look at
all of the parts and it would be overwhelming. The secret is to just to
try to do a little bit everyday,
look at each task not as a whole. Pretty soon you well run out of things
to do and well have to fly
it. Smile

Jerry
First flight July 14 1989 and still loving it.
Dan wrote:

Quote:
I had a week moment,,,, with a 2 year old QB-8 in the garage which I
look at every day but had not worked much in about a year. I'd been
busy with work and life I had lost interest and motivation to get back
into the project.
I decided to sell it.
When my 11 year old daughter found out she was astounded and asked a
simple question "Why are you going to quit? I thought you wanted to
build the plane"

Simply put,,
never give up

I went out dusted it off and built a simple rewarding thing like build
the front seat,

Dan
Lake Stevens WA
Reserved N728RV

fstringham

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Dan

Congrats on the new found desire........Since Sept 4, 2004 I have been working off and on on an RV7A.....Like you family, work, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, life's responsibilities have turned a 18 month project into a nearly 4 year project. I am now in the final 1000 last details and hope to fly by the end of this summer. Many well meaning folks have said why in the world would you keep going considering the cost, time commitment, frustration, and you name....(put negative reason to quit hear).....but I tell them I CAN'T......"I would never feel good teaching my kids and grandkids that it is OK to give up a worthy project".......

Dan I congratulate you on keeping your dream...and teaching moment....alive

Frank (at) 1L8...... RV7A......Last 992 details of which 9000 are fiberglass related............

[quote] Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:01:04 -0700
Subject: RV-List: I will not quit
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com

I decided to sell it.

Simply put,,
never give up

Dan
Lake Stevens WA
Reserved N728RV

Quote:

t=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I agree with Jerry, Dan, focus on building a small piece as the goal of each
"project" otherwise, the entire project just seems overwhelming. I tried to
commit at least 2 hours each and every day - identified a specific
accomplishment I wanted to achieve - even if it was just to measure the
position for the next 10 rivet holes (yes, before the days of punched rivet
holes {:>))

After 3 years (yes, I did average a bit more than 2 hours per day), but the
thrill when I first flew it will always be remembered.

The only thing I regret, is waiting until I was 56 years old before I
started my dream. Don't lose you dream - stay with it.

Best Regards

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com
http://www.andersonee.com
http://members.cox.net/rogersda/rotary/configs.htm#N494BW
http://www.dmack.net/mazda/index.html.
---

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
Dale Ensing

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Good for you Dan! A lesson for you and an example for your daughter. Plus, you will love the airplane when it is done.

Allow me to make a few comments.

Building an airplane was in my Bucket List since college. When I had doubts while building, I would think about my "regrets list" and was this going to be one of my life time regrets. Sometimes it was the knowledge that I would be sorry if I didn't complete it more than the desire to finish it that kept me going.

Don't be discouraged when others ask "when is it going to fly". As others have pointed out, working consistently helps but work at your own pace so as to not let the airplane become an issue with you or at home. While building my 6A there were two periods when the project was not touched for a year or more because of other priorities.

Building the airplane is one of my most cherished personal accomplishment. N728RV will be one of yours.

Regards and best wishes with the project.

Dale Ensing
RV-6A N118DE
Aero Plantation
Weddington NC

[quote] ---

Weddington NC
jan(at)claver.demon.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I have been working on my RV6 for almost 20 years… !! Moving around a lot… Having kids …. Work …. Do not give up … I should have the wings done this year and the fuselage next year …

About 10 years ago someone wanted to buy the parts I had made … no way would I sell … it has taken a long time to get this far … and no way will I give up … So hang in there … It will be great when it is done !!

Best of luck !!

Jan

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dale Ensing
Sent: 24 May 2008 20:39
Subject: Re: I will not quit

Good for you Dan! A lesson for you and an example for your daughter. Plus, you will love the airplane when it is done.

Building an airplane was in my Bucket List since college. When I had doubts while building, I would think about my "regrets list" and was this going to be one of my life time regrets. Sometimes it was the knowledge that I would be sorry if I didn't complete it more than the desire to finish it that kept me going.

Don't be discouraged when others ask "when is it going to fly". As others have pointed out, working consistently helps but work at your own pace so as to not let the airplane become an issue with you or at home. While building my 6A there were two periods when the project was not touched for a year or more because of other priorities.

Building the airplane is one of my most cherished personal accomplishment. N728RV will be one of yours.

Dale Ensing

RV-6A N118DE

Aero Plantation

Weddington NC

[quote]
---

Bruce(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

And I thought I was bad, working 12 years on my Glasair III.

Bruce
www.Glasair.org

[quote]
--

kcflyrv(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Dan,
Great and touching story! Your daughter will someday look back with pride knowing that she has played a part of your decision to build on and realize your dream. This can only help to build her confidence to voice her opinion on important issues as she grows older.
I built my “6” from ’98 to ’02 and I am enjoying it as much today as I did the first day we flew. It changes your life in many ways and it’s inspiring to read your story.
I too have another RV project in my shop that’s collecting dust but now I’m charged up to get back to daily progress

Ken Cantrell
720 hours

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:01 AM
Subject: I will not quit

I decided to sell it.

Simply put,,

never give up

Dan

Lake Stevens WA

Reserved N728RV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

davcor(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

fstringham

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Jan

And I thought my 3 plus years was bad....you are an inspiration

Frank (at) 1L8 ....RV7A ......final 992 details...........

[quote] From: jan(at)claver.demon.co.uk
Subject: RE: RV-List: I will not quit
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:20:00 +0100

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:21.0cm 842.0pt;} .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1 {page:Section1;}
I have been working on my RV6 for almost 20 years… !! Moving around a lot… Having kids …. Work …. Do not give up … I should have the wings done this year and the fuselage next year …

About 10 years ago someone wanted to buy the parts I had made … no way would I sell … it has taken a long time to get this far … and no way will I give up … So hang in there … It will be great when it is done !!

Best of luck !!

Jan

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dale Ensing

Dale Ensing

RV-6A N118DE

Aero Plantation

Weddington NC

[quote]
---

smirdrv(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I started my 6A in '98, and am just now a ready for the Fuselage kit. I'd just about given up on being able to complete it (I turn 56 in June. So to here someone say they didn't start till that age takes away any excuse I had. The benefit is that I just completed Tail Wheel Transition training and now have my endorsement. So I think I'll build a '6' instead. Any thoughts on a 5ft 5in guy flying a taildragger? I checked with Van's and they say this is the time to make the choice. Anyway, thank you Dan for setting me free from my dilemma. If any on knows of a Fuselage kit gathering dust anywhere, let me know.

R.C
Building with new enthusiasm.
[quote] From: fstringham(at)hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:19:17 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Jan

Frank (at) 1L8 ....RV7A ......final 992 details..........

[quote] From: jan(at)claver.demon.co.uk

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.EC_MsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:21.0cm 842.0pt;} .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1 {page:Section1;}

Best of luck !!

Jan

Don't be discouraged when others ask "when is it going to fly". As others have pointed out, working consistently helps but work at your own pace so as to not let the airplane become an issue with you or at home. While building my 6A there were two periods when the project was not touched for a year or more because of other priorities.

Dale Ensing

RV-6A N118DE

Aero Plantation

Weddington NC

[quote]
---

Carl

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Ed Booth at Twins Lakes SC is one of the best flying 65 year old RV 7 pilots I know and he is about 5’6”. If I had 2 legs I would be building a 7 vs. a 7A. Its like training wheels, but at lest I’m flying. You only go around once unless you are a Buddhist, just do it. Good luck CJ

Carl W Bell (CJ)
Building RV 7A - N947CB
http://www.mykitlog.com/carlbell
carlbell(at)gforcecable.com (carlbell(at)gforcecable.com)

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Reginald C. Smith, Sr.
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 10:47 PM
Subject: RE: I will not quit

I started my 6A in '98, and am just now a ready for the Fuselage kit. I'd just about given up on being able to complete it (I turn 56 in June. So to here someone say they didn't start till that age takes away any excuse I had. The benefit is that I just completed Tail Wheel Transition training and now have my endorsement. So I think I'll build a '6' instead. Any thoughts on a 5ft 5in guy flying a taildragger? I checked with Van's and they say this is the time to make the choice. Anyway, thank you Dan for setting me free from my dilemma. If any on knows of a Fuselage kit gathering dust anywhere, let me know.

R.C
Building with new enthusiasm. <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 20:19:17 -0600

Jan

Frank (at) 1L8 ....RV7A ......final 992 details...........

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

Best of luck !!

Jan

Dale Ensing

RV-6A N118DE

Aero Plantation

Weddington NC

[quote]
---

Mark Phillips in TN

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

In a message dated 05/24/2008 11:59:16 AM Central Daylight Time, jsflyrv(at)verizon.net writes:
Quote:
> When my 11 year old daughter found out she was astounded and asked a
Quote:
simple question "Why are you going to quit? I thought you wanted to
build the plane"

>>>>>>>

I made an interesting observation when my slo-build RV-6A departed the Earth for the first time on January 31, 2004. Five years of hard-fought battles to construct and pay for that nekkid little newborn were behind me and became fond memories in my family album. What I witnessed being born that day was a future of new experiences flying my RV and becoming a "flying" part of the RV family.

She finished kindergarten (Phase One). Beginning with my Dad, her & I shared RV grins with many passengers. Call it Elementary. After another year she was ready for paint and she got her High School diploma. Some additional work and her interior was finished. Grad School. She finally "debued" at Oshkosh, Sun&Fun etc. and gathered a few laurels.

Yes, an RV is just a machine. Kinda. It's one you created.  Don't neglect the other members of your family, but don't be deterred if one of them throws a curve ball at you every now and then.

It's all worth it- you'll see...
Mark
http://websites.expercraft.com/n51pw/

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
[quote][b]

shirleyh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

Reginald - I am 5ft 5 and I fly my RV6. We set the left seat attach hinge
a little further forward than the plans called for, and set the rudders as
far aft as possible. I still needed cushions behind me during the first
few hours of flying, but soon got used to it. I have a friend who is a few
inches shorter than me and he flies the 6 with ease - just sticks a spare
cushion behind him. He does need a little help with forward visoin while
taxiing though!
It took 7 years to complete our RV6 - maybe two years of that time the
project was hardly touched for all the usual reasons. I got discouraged at
times - especially when critics told me 'It will never fly'. May be it was
the cirtics who stung me into wanting to prove them wrong!

Shirley Harding
RV6 over 70 hours now and loving it!

timb

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I know I am not the longest build time at 16 years but I can honestly say I never even considered giving up. I took long times away from the project to build a house or restore an airplane but I always kept going. Here is what I did.
I had a big white board in my shop near the airplane. When I worked if I came upon something that I needed to remember to do I wrote it on the board. I had a full list on there and when I completed things I crossed it off. I did not erase them until I needed space or reworded the list.

Whenever I went to the shop to putter I could see this list calling at me to knock something out. Many things on this list were only an hour task or less. If I only had an hour and hadn’t worked on the plane for many weeks it took absolutely no time to just jump on something from the list. Without it I had spent the first hour of every session trying to figure out where to start and getting re-familiar with the project.

Make yourself a big nagging list so you don’t have to agonize over the whole project like others have said. You can focus on one little thing at a time. The number of years it takes will not matter one bit once you fly it.
Good luck!

[b]Tim Bryan[/b]
[b]RV-6 Flying[/b]
[b]N616TB almost 100 hours now[/b]

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:01 AM
Subject: I will not quit

I decided to sell it.

Simply put,,

never give up

Dan

Lake Stevens WA

Reserved N728RV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

jfogarty(at)tds.net

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: I will not quit Reply with quote

I started building my RV9a in Sept. of 2005 and I should be done on the 23rd., I just don't know what month or year! In 2005 I had 3 grandchildren and now I have five, I hoping one of them will catch the bug and be around to witness the first lift off from kpwc.

Our two year old grandson was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Neuroblastoma at 6 months of age and he is Gramp's best helper in the shop. Life is a journey, so live it to the fullest, I take the Cardinal up if I have a little fuel money and love the freedom as I pass by those beautiful white clouds and laugh at the rest of the folks who aren't so lucky. For additional information about Logan's fight, please visit his website at www.caringbridge.org and enter the name "Logan Fogarty".

I know many of you are going through many of the same types of challenges in life and it's not always easy to be in the shop, but for me it is all about the memories in aviation and family! Have a great day.

Jim Fogarty
fuselage
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: