Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith Builders Analysis Group -- "I'm in" responders --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Phillips

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Zenith Builders Analysis Group -- "I'm in" responders -- Reply with quote

Dear Fellow Zenith Builder

This message was originally sent to Zenith-Listers who responded "I'm in" to the thread regarding an independent analysis of the 601XL wing. It is posted here for two reasons:
  • To avoid missing any "I'm in" responders because of spam filters or whatever reason
  • To give all readers of the Zenith-List a second chance to participate in the Independent Analysis of the 601XL wing

Regarding the apparent wing failure accidents with 601XL's:

At 09:42 AM 3/12/2008 -0500, John Bolding wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've got no dog in this hunt as I'm building a 701, however, I mentioned a year ago that if you XL guys are SERIOUS about getting to the bottom of this then 3RD party analysis is your best bet. Zenith has shown they are unwilling or not capable of anything other than redoing what they already did and that proves nothing.

Many years ago the Adventurer Amphib had a wing failure and after ONE such incident the builders got together and hired Martin Holman to do a flutter/ vibration/structure analysis. He found that with the wing tanks at a certain % of fuel the wing had an unstable mode at a speed well within cruise speeds, a fix was determined and life was good, at least as good as the rest of the airplane which was a POS.

SOMEBODY needs to belly up to the bar and DO SOMETHING instead of just whine and moan. Find an engineer capable of this project, pass the hat, send him a set of drawings and see what shakes out. It ain't going away folks. The FAA isn't going to help, the NTSB isn't going to help, the ball is on YOUR side of the net.

John

After John's post, Andy Shontz started a thread on the Zenith List giving Zenith-Listers the opportunity to declare their support for conducting an independent structural analysis of the 601XL wing design. You are one of those who responded with an "I'm in."

Andy recently stated on the Zenith-List that he was unable to lead the analysis effort. So, ...

In John's words, I've decided to "belly up to the bar and DO SOMETHING."

Two potential sources for the analysis were mentioned on the List, Orion Technology and an "MIT Aeronautical Engineer." I had a wonderful conversation with Bill Husa of Orion. Bill was very friendly and helpful. However, he is over-committed at this time and did not feel comfortable taking on this project now. I called the number given for the MIT aeronautical engineer several times, and left a voice mail, but was never able to make contact.

With the help of a friend, I have identified an aircraft structural engineer, Mark Sensmeier, who is qualified and willing to do the analysis. Mark and I have agreed upon a statement of work and a project cost. For more information about Mark, see:

http://pr.erau.edu/~sensmeim/

I have attached a pdf file containing the SOW, Mark's cost estimate, and a Release and Hold Harmless form. As you can see, Mark provided a cost estimate for the basic task, "To attempt to determine whether the structure (including the skin), as designed, has adequate strength to meet the published design loads of ±6G," as well as, for several optional tasks that may be done, if funding is available.

Which brings us to funding. While my belly is plenty big enough for the bar, my wallet is too thin to pay for the analysis myself. So, I will open a savings account at the Ravalli County Bank, Corvallis, MT, with my $300 contribution to the support fund. All withdrawals from the account will require a signature from both me and from another group member, Al Hays. I've not met Al--I picked him off the "I'm in" list. I thank him for agreeing to help with the project. I was able to find 25 people who posted an "I'm in" message. I know that some those may have changed their mind, so, I've budgeted assuming that we can get twenty $300 contributions, for a working fund of $6000. This would allow us to pay for the basic analysis plus a couple of the extras. Mark estimates $4800 for basic analysis plus a final report. So, our absolute, drop-dead requirement (possibly not the best metaphor Smile to do the basic analysis would be 16 contributors at $300/ea. As an aside, Bill Husa of Orion Technology gave me a ball park estimate of $4-5,000 for the basic analysis.

To formally join the effort, I need you to do the following:
  • Print, sign and date the Release and Hold Harmless, and put it into an envelope addressed to me:
    • Terry Phillips
    • 1956 Haywire Lane
    • Corvallis MT 59828 USA
  • Produce a self-addressed-stamped-envelope (SASE)
  • Write out a $300 check to "Zenith Builders Analysis Group-Phillips-Hays."
  • Put the check into the SASE.
  • Put the un-sealed SASE into the envelope addressed to me.
  • Mail the envelope to me.
  • Time is critical right now. Mark has out-of-town commitments after June 11, and he will not be back until early August. If I hear from you promptly, it may be possible to get the basic analysis done before he leaves on June 11.
If you decide that you will not support this independent analysis, please inform me by email. To make sure that I reach all of you, I will post a version of this note on the Zenith-List. I will hold all checks until we reach a total of $4,800. At that point, I will deposit the checks into the account and initiate a letter contract with Mark to begin the analysis. I'll let you know when this occurs. If I do not receive a total of $4,800 within 4 weeks, i.e., by 6/5/08, I will conclude that the commitment to do the analysis just isn't there, and I will return your check to you, using your SASE. If you have not provided a SASE, I will shred your check.

Some of the "I'm in" responders appear to reside outside the US. I would like to proceed a bit differently with you all. Please print, sign, and date the Release and airmail it to me. Do not send any cash at this time, but do notify me by email that you are mailing the release. I will notify you, if and when we reach the $4,800 contribution level. At that time I will request that you send me your payment by PayPal or by international money order. I'd like to minimize sending funds across international borders in the event that we cannot raise $4800. To expedite contracting, I will commit to Mark based upon receipt of your signed release, so please do not send the release unless you are serious about supporting the effort. Thank you.

If we eventually receive contributions that exceed $6,000, we will, in order
  • Authorize Mark to perform additional optional analyses that appear to give the most bang for the buck.
  • Print paper copies of Mark's final report and mail them to group members (Otherwise, you'll only get a pdf).
  • Reimburse me and/or Al for any up-front expenses, such as copying my 601XL plans for Mark.
  • Contribute any remaining funds to an appropriate charity, such as the AOPA Aviation Safety Foundation.
At the completion of the project we will do the following:
  • Send each group member either a paper or pdf copy of the final report.
  • Send two copies of the final report to ZAC; one for ZAC, and one to be forwarded to the NTSB.
  • Close out the bank account.
  • Email a spreadsheet to each contributor detailing all expenses incurred by the group.
  • Fly into the sunset, wishing CAVU for 601XL builders everywhere.
In closing, let me say that, as shown by my Kitlog site referenced below, I am not some fly-by-night hustler. I am a legitimate 601XL builder. I want to be able to fly my 601 with confidence that the wings will not fall off when I'm flying straight and level in the pattern. Al and I will do our best to run this project for the common good of all 601XL builders. Once the project is underway, Al and I will be glad to consider any input that you may have regarding Mark's work. But, to keep the project manageable, we will reserve final directions for Mark to ourselves. If you have any questions about anything I've written above, you may call me at 406-961-5342. Thank you for your support.

Copying U.S. Grant's signature in a note to General S.B. Buckner, CSA, at Fort Donelson, TN.

I am sir, very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,

Terry Phillips
Zenith Builder 6-6783

Terry Phillips
ttp44~at~rkymtn.net
Corvallis MT
601XL/Jab 3300 s .. l .. o .. o .. w build kit - Tail, flaps, & ailerons are done; working on the wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/N47TP/

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

Release-SOW-Est_080508.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Release-SOW-Est_080508.pdf
 Filesize:  20.28 KB
 Downloaded:  375 Time(s)

Zenith 601XL/Jab 3300 slow build kit - Tail feathers done; working on the wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: