Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8 LED Panel Flood Lighting diversions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vhimsl(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: RV8 LED Panel Flood Lighting diversions Reply with quote

Hello,

While you are in the dark, literally and figuratively, playing with panel flood lighting ideas for your RV8 try this:

Place a piece of aluminum (or steel) tape on the underside of the glare screen, both sides, near the roll bar.
Now bounce the light from an LED flashlight off these pieces of tape instead of trying to illuminate the panel directly. You will find that this bounce effect creates a more even and broader coverage. But see for yourself.

I am assuming you are using LED lights.

The best (price, ease of installation, effectiveness) flood lighting available for the RV8 (IMHO) however, is the $13.00 Energizer LED forehead light that has the two white lights with one red in the center. The whites are too bright for flying but the center red LED and lens distributes the red in an almost perfect pattern across the panel illuminating not only the panel but the side areas (throttle/mixture and fuel tank handle) as well.

A very fun trick is to take one of these forehead lights and remove the two white LED lights and put one green and one red in their place. Take one of the removed white ones and put it in the center (removing the center red).
Now use it to look at your airspeed indicator. Instead of washing out the color bands, this combination makes them almost fluoresce. Red responds to red, green to green, and yellow to green plus red. Switch to the lone center white light and observe how it provides a broad and clear blue/white glow to your panel identical to the red one.

For those of you trying to sync the brightness of your LEDs so that one area or instrument doesn’t blind you while everything else is very dim you will need to create a custom resistor divider network for each overly bright LED. The trick is that most of us know to put resistors in series with an LED (usually multiples of 300 ohms) but we are less aware of fact that placing an additional resistor in parallel with the LED dramatically affects its behavior. For the LED lights I am using, I placed two 300 ohum resistors in series and one in parallel with an amber LED to get it to mimic the response and brightness of the incandescent type lights found in my (used) versions of the King radios and transponders.

I will forego telling you about how I modified USB laptop keyboard lights from the Dollar Store (yep, the Dollar Store) for use as my flood lights.

Now to figure out how to tone down the Ray Allen LED trim indicators (they’re different). Half bright is too bright.

Regards

Vince H.
Idaho
RV8 VSB (Very Slow Built)
Finish
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: