Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fine Fuel Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Fine Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

On page 38 of the Rotax 912UL engine installation manual, figure 22 shows
that a fine fuel filter (mesh size 0.1 mm) must be installed upstream of the
mechanical fuel pump. I assume this is the bowl/filter unit that protrudes
out of the belly of the plane that is installed between the fuel tank and
electric fuel pump. My question is how often does this "filter" have to be
checked, and since I have never opened the filter unit what type filter is
it, and can it be easily replaced if contaminated?

Hugh McKay

Allegro 2000

912UL

N661WW

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
hgmckay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Fine Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

On page 38 of the Rotax 912UL engine installation manual, figure 22 shows that a fine fuel filter (mesh size 0.1 mm) must be installed upstream of the mechanical fuel pump. I assume this is the bowl/filter unit that protrudes out of the belly of the plane that is installed between the fuel tank and electric fuel pump. My question is how often does this “filter” have to be checked, and since I have never opened the filter unit what type filter is it, and can it be easily replaced if contaminated?

Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
912UL
N661WW
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Your operators manual or inspection manual may also have a time line for replacing your filter. I'm sure Allegro has something in one of their manuals. Depending on how often you fly I would change it every 100 hrs. or once a year at its annual. Some people only fly 30 hrs a year and some 250 hrs a year. Many fuel filters have a throw away element inside and some are toss the whole filter. Seems like lots of the filter elements can be had at an auto parts store.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Fine Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Hugh:

I just had a peek down through all my unread posts and noticed no one answered your question. I hope you will get many answers written in different ways.

The doo dad with the glass bowl you see on the bottom of your plane is called a gascolator. It is a device designed to help separate water if there is any form your fuel before it gets to the engine. Most gascolators have a very fine copper or brass screen in them that filter out any lumps that may be in the gas. I think the screen is generally .05 mm which means it is all the pre screening your pump will need.

To clean the gascolator, I suggest annually or every 50 hr whichever comes first, cut the lockwire and unscrew the little wheel slide the retainer forward away from the bowl and the bowl will drop down by itself. Be careful some of the screens are held in place by tiny O rings and you don’t want to lose one or drop and break the bowl. You can clean the screen with a little compressed air ( not too much ) it is not as strong as chain link fence so handle it gently.

When you re assemble the bowl and the retainer and tighten up the little wheel don’t forget to lockwire the wheel back in place. If the bowl falls out no gas can get to the engine and it’s real messy.

Btw I’m of the mind that only screens should be used before the fuel pump..... true filters should always be used on the pressure side of a system. I’ll bet I’ll get reaction to that one! J

Noel

From: owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rotaxengines-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Hugh
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 10:25 AM
To: Allegro 2000; rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fine Fuel Filter

Gentlemen:

On page 38 of the Rotax 912UL engine installation manual, figure 22 shows that a fine fuel filter (mesh size 0.1 mm) must be installed upstream of the mechanical fuel pump. I assume this is the bowl/filter unit that protrudes out of the belly of the plane that is installed between the fuel tank and electric fuel pump. My question is how often does this “filter” have to be checked, and since I have never opened the filter unit what type filter is it, and can it be easily replaced if contaminated?

Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
912UL
N661WW
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

rampil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

I have not previously heard that Rotax has a fine, pre-carb filter.

I am trying to find your figure 22 on page 38 of the 912 Install manual,
but my page 38 is talking about the Engine suspension and the lord mounts.

I am looking at the Rotax 912 series Install manual dated May 01, 2007
In this revision page 38 falls into section 10.3

The Fuel system is in section 14, starting page 83. There is a fine filter
in figure 54. This filter varies by airframe and manufacturer. It is not
a Rotax part. Some people use a gascolator, others a disposable plastic
screen in glass filter. Don't they talk about this in your Allegro POH?

If it has a bowl, it sounds like a gascolator, these usually get serviced
in two ways, with a drain petcock for everyday, and occasionally,
removing and cleaning the screen inside.

The Allegro manual is going to be the best place to get the exact details.

Good Luck,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: