Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

carb balancing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: carb balancing Reply with quote

Paul,
Having read your comments and gone through a Google search, reading the posted comments, I'm convinced.  I'll order one.  

Now, which set of fittings are needed for the Rotax?  Standard? BMW?  5mm? 6mm?

Thanks...

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(90%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in, Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar in, flap drive in, Mod 70 done.  Baggage bay in.  Flaps & Main Gear complete.  Mod 72 complete.  Instrument panel complete, except for testing.  Rotax 914 installed (for the 3rd time).  Airmaster Prop installed.  Electrical complete, except for testing.  Fuel system complete except for testing.  Working in - 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35 Doors, 37 Interior & Finishing.  Airmaster arrived 29 Sep 05.  Seat arrived from Oregon Aero.  E04 interior kit has arrived and is being installed. 
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Dec 29, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Paul McAllister wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience with carburettor balancing.  I purchased the vacuum gaauges from Lockwood aviation, but for some reason I was never able to get them balanced nicely.  In particular I would find I had a vibration in the range of 3200 ~ 3500 RPM. 

Any how I purchased a TwinMax carburettor balancer.  This thing is awesome, it has variable sensitivity and I can get them nuts on using this thing.  I am able to idle my 914T ar 1500 RPM nicely.  It makes quite a difference to my Europa during the landing phase.  If you google TwinMax you can find several suppliers.  Tryhttp://www.adventuremotogear.com/twinmax.mgi?mgiToken=29HJXUUF

Cheers,  Paul

N378PJ
http://www.europa.net.nz/363/index.html

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: carb balancing Reply with quote

Hi Thom,

You are right the manual does say that. Yes you can get it to idle at those lower rpm's, but the reason Rotax teaches in their schools to idle around the 1800 mark is for the protection of the gearbox and other parts effected by vibration. Because the 100hp has more compression than the 80 hp engine at low rpm's it bangs away at the gearbox and the mating parts inside including the overload clutch. No matter what the engine will idle smoother at 1800. The chance of losing and engine at idle on approach is much higher at 1400 rpm settings also. Those are the reasons, not that you can't make it idle at 1400 it's the higher compression hammering and chugging along on the parts with the 100hp because of the good compression. You may never have an issue at 1400, but later down the line you may have to do more service work sooner than the other guy on your gearbox.

You can prove this to yourself using a dial indicator. Set it up against the outside area around the gearbox (so the motion will be left to right) and let the engine idle at 1400 and then do it again and let the engine idle at 1800. The dial indicator will have less impact and movement at 1800. A big factor in this vibration is as Thom has pointed out that the carbs must be properly synced.

I have posted a picture of a gage set on this forum. It is a liquid filled calibrated set you can put together for about $55 and it is very easy to work with. I Have talked many many people through a carb balance over the phone and you are welcome to call any time. You don't need to spend a lot of money on a balancing system, but just understand what is going on when you do certain things. Each person likes different instruments and tools.

520-574-1080 in Tucson, Az.
A carb balance should take less than 30 min. after you have done it once. It is not something to be afraid of it is relatively easy once you understand what certain things do when you turn a screw or cable.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

carb_sync_150[1].jpg
 Description:
Keeping it simple, but accurate.
 Filesize:  120.66 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

carb_sync_150[1].jpg

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: