Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrowe.1(at)netzero.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

I am about ready to order my engine and considering using an E-mag and P-mag instead of slick mags. I was wanting to see if anybody has comments about how they like them and if they have had any problems. I talked to someone this weekend and they said they heard that they have had some bugs and concerned about the reliability. I would aprreciate any input

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
aurbo(at)ak.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Jason,

I have one of each, I have them installed, I have not run the engine yet.

Your Tach may have to be recalibrated to run on an electronic mag.

I like the way they look. I like the way they installed. I followed Emagair's wiring instructions and it was simple.

I have heard the same about the reliability but I think that was with earlier models.

I will be interested to follow this thread. Hope some others chime in. How about you Mr. Repucci?

Mike Ice

Baffling my way through the baffles and cowl install.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tadsargent(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

I know of two instances first hand. Both installs began acceptably then both died. I know this is a short answer but I would go with either Mags or Lightspeed Ignitions.
I have had mags for 359 hours, trouble free. I am installing one lightspeed box soon. I like the idea of p-mags but for the same cash lightspeeds win the contest for me. They have fewer moving parts and NO software updates. Secondly, any A&P can work on them should you need to have them looked at. As for the power generation aspect of the P=mags I don’t buy it. The reliability of your engine does not require it. Your car is set up much like the lightspeed ignition.
Your milage may vary
Tad Sargent
7A

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jkrowe.1(at)netzero.net
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 11:57 PM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability

I am about ready to order my engine and considering using an E-mag and P-mag instead of slick mags. I was wanting to see if anybody has comments about how they like them and if they have had any problems. I talked to someone this weekend and they said they heard that they have had some bugs and concerned about the reliability. I would aprreciate any input.
Thanks,
Jason

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

John Brunke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Tad,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Lightspeed need a second battery as a backup power source?

There is a lot of info out there on the P-mags. Yes there were software problems in the beginning, but from searching
on the web I found that the manufacturers did a good job of standing behind their product and have pretty well taken
care of the problems. Knowing that someone will stand behind their product is very important to me.

The racing crowd tends toward the Lightspeed.

I just wanted solid state reliability and having the ability to use automotive plugs led me towards the P-mags.
Also not needing a secondary power source, for me, seemed to
reduce some of the overall complexity (weight).

Happy building,
John Brunke
RV7, tip-up in progress

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Your question tells me your mind is made up. As in any man made device it is subject to failure, but a double failure in your electrical system. What are the chances your battery and your alternator system fail at the same time. I am using one mag and one lightspeed. Most airshow performers use Lightspeed Ignition. I think in any system you buy you pay your money then go from there. The failures I spoke about were within the last several months with updated software systems.

“The racing crowd tends toward the Lightspeed.”

“I just wanted solid state reliability and having the ability to use automotive plugs led me towards the P-mags.
reduce some of the overall complexity (weight).” (snip)

Is the racing crowd interested in reliability?

You did not mention a performance gain with P-mags. Slick mags are self powering, reliable, and cost efficient and the plugs last a very long time.

You asked for observations and comments.

Regards,
Tad

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J. Brunke
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability

Tad,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Lightspeed need a second battery as a backup power source?

There is a lot of info out there on the P-mags. Yes there were software problems in the beginning, but from searching

on the web I found that the manufacturers did a good job of standing behind their product and have pretty well taken

care of the problems. Knowing that someone will stand behind their product is very important to me.

The racing crowd tends toward the Lightspeed.

I just wanted solid state reliability and having the ability to use automotive plugs led me towards the P-mags.

reduce some of the overall complexity (weight).

Happy building,

John Brunke

RV7, tip-up in progress

[quote]
---

John Brunke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Hey Tad,

I was not putting down the light speed at all. It's obviously a good system, if not Klaus would be out of business.

This question was put forth by another lister. My only question to you was about the second power source.

Sorry I got you seeing red in my writing.

John Brunke
[quote] ---

bahrns(at)mchsi.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Jason,
I have one of each as well. I had the earlier ser'#s when I installed them. They worked very well but I went ahead & sent them in when they came out with the update.
They promptly sent them back with the updates & have performed perfectly. They are very easy to install & time & the engine seems to start instantly & idle smoother than the standard mags. With both emags firing & on 0 degrees before top dead center the engine almost starts immediately. I am very happy with mine & I think you will be as well.
Thanks, Stan Bahrns
RV7-A (70) hrs
stanb(at)bahrns.com (stanb(at)bahrns.com)
[quote] --

lifeofreiley2003(at)yahoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

I was thinking of the E-mag/P-mag set-up, then had
some emails back and forth with Dan C. and he sold me
on Klaus... Lightspeed all the way!

Darrell
--- "J. Brunke" <jdoody727(at)comcast.net> wrote:

[quote] Hey Tad,

I was not putting down the light speed at all.
It's obviously a good system, if not Klaus would be
out of business.

This question was put forth by another lister. My
only question to you was about the second power
source.

John Brunke
---

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Since some early issues the E/Pmag combo has been fault free for about 180 hours.

Frank

--

klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

John,

I don't think a second power source is *required*, but rather it is *recommended*. I would just put in a small backup battery (~5AH) for the EI's anyway. Switch the EI to the B/U battery during the starting sequence, so that the main battery is running only the starter. This way, any voltage drop would not affect the EI system at all! Just my thoughts.

Konrad

do not archive
[quote] ---

klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

I agree on you with that. Lightspeed all the way (my personal preference)!!!
do not archive
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

No red seeing here, just what I see. I think a second power source is not necessary but others may disagree.
All my best,
Tad

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J. Brunke
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability

Hey Tad,

I was not putting down the light speed at all. It's obviously a good system, if not Klaus would be out of business.

This question was put forth by another lister. My only question to you was about the second power source.

John Brunke
[quote]
---

jkrowe.1(at)netzero.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Darrell,
What was it that sold you on Lightspeed? I'm aware that an electronic ignition will/should give better performance than mags, my concern is over the reliability in the event of an electrical loss. How long is the battery going to keep you up? What was it that sold you on Lightspeed rather than the emag/pmag? Also, have you had or do you know of anybody who has had problems with their electronic ignitions?
Jason

lifeofreiley2003(at)yahoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: E-Mag & P-Mag Reliability Reply with quote

Jason,

Track record was the big one for me. Customer service
was another. Electrical loss is a non-issue, I will
still have one mag and a Main Buss with a separate
Endurance Buss. Even with dual EI, if the electrical
system is put together with endurance in mind, you
should not worry about an issue.

I also did not like the control unit under the cowl as
with the Emag/Pmag. Lightspeeds control box is in the
cabin area under the panel.

If you'll search VAF, there are numerous issues
reported with the Emag/Pmag to include failures. Some
say innovation... they've had plenty of time, years
and there's still to many issues for me to invest in
the Emag/P-mag systems. IMHO... my 2 cents.

Best regards,

Darrell

--- "jkrowe.1(at)netzero.net" <jkrowe.1(at)netzero.net>
wrote:

Quote:
Darrell,
What was it that sold you on Lightspeed? I'm aware
that an electronic ignition will/should give better
performance than mags, my concern is over the
reliability in the event of an electrical loss. How
long is the battery going to keep you up? What was
it that sold you on Lightspeed rather than the
emag/pmag? Also, have you had or do you know of
anybody who has had problems with their electronic
ignitions?
Jason

Quote:
Ultimate Travel Deals - Click Now!

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4tntQeGSM97ajejeBd982AdLkkgAs4YGJlbjsXfnHumDlF3B/

Quote:

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: