Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8-List Fuel Vent lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: RV8-List Fuel Vent lines Reply with quote

Rv-8 fellows, I'm working on my plumbing, fuel and brake. The plans shows the end of the vent tubing out the floor and bent forward. Is there a particular important reason why the drip end is pointed forward as opposed to to the rear ? I think I saw a couple RVs at Sun n Fun with the tubes rearward. Second question: The plans shows the brake lines going to the landing gear weldment and exit down at the leg. What have you all done in the past ? Make a separate hole in the floor near the weldment that you can snap in a plastic sleeve for friction protection or enlarge the gear hole and run it out against the steel leg ? Thanks ahead of time and best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
skylor4(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: RV8-List Fuel Vent lines Reply with quote

Hello Bill,

Regarding the vents: I assume that the vents are
pointed forward to insure that the fuel tanks have
slight positive pressure in them when in flight, vs a
possible vacuum if the vents were pointed aft. In
addition, pointing the vents aft may cause a little
siphoning of fuel out of the vents.

Regarding brake lines: On my RV-8, the way I plumbed
the brake lines was strictly per plans; run the lines
from the brake fitting bracket out to the landing gear
towers along the bottom edge of the rear baggage
compartment bulkhead, and into the middle lightening
hole in the landing gear "towers". From there the
brake lines run down to the bottom of the towers where
they attach to bulkhead elbows that penetrate the
fuselage bottom (inside the gear towers). The
location for this is identified in the plans.

I have attached a picture where you can see left brake
line run inside the fuselage.

Skylor
RV-8 QB
Under construction
N808SJ

--- japhillipsga(at)aol.com wrote:

[quote] Rv-8 fellows, I'm working on my plumbing, fuel and
brake. The plans shows the end of the vent tubing
out the floor and bent forward. Is there a
particular important reason why the drip end is
pointed forward as opposed to to the rear ? I think
I saw a couple RVs at Sun n Fun with the tubes
rearward. Second question: The plans shows the brake
lines going to the landing gear weldment and exit
down at the leg. What have you all done in the past
? ?Make a separate hole in the floor near the
weldment that you can snap in a plastic sleeve for
friction protection or enlarge the gear hole and run
it out against the steel leg ? Thanks ahead of time
and best regards, Bill of Georgia?

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wiring&brakes.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  461.93 KB
 Viewed:  465 Time(s)

wiring&brakes.JPG

carl.froehlich(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: RV8-List Fuel Vent lines Reply with quote

When building my RV-8A there were reports of RVs having forced landings or collapsed fuel tanks caused by clogged vent lines, typically mud daubers. I read a couple of articles on aircraft vent lines and the clear recommendation was to not have a vent line smaller than 3/8”.

I ended up transitioning from ¼ to 3/8 inch line about 10 inches before the vent line exited the bottom of the fuselage. For the portion sticking out in the wind, I cut the end of the 3/8” tubing at a 45 degree angle and then epoxied (JB Weld) a piece of aluminum window screen over the 45 degree bevel. Once the epoxy was set I smoothed out the edges on a scotch bright wheel. The bevel faces into the wind to provide a positive pressure on the vent line, as is standard.

The 3/8” tubing is big enough to allow for attaching the window screen and the window screen eliminates the mud dauber problem.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (360 hrs)
Dogwood Airpark (VA-42)

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of japhillipsga(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:51 PM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV8-List Fuel Vent lines

Rv-8 fellows, I'm working on my plumbing, fuel and brake. The plans shows the end of the vent tubing out the floor and bent forward. Is there a particular important reason why the drip end is pointed forward as opposed to to the rear ? I think I saw a couple RVs at Sun n Fun with the tubes rearward. Second question: The plans shows the brake lines going to the landing gear weldment and exit down at the leg. What have you all done in the past ? Make a separate hole in the floor near the weldment that you can snap in a plastic sleeve for friction protection or enlarge the gear hole and run it out against the steel leg ? Thanks ahead of time and best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: