Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knock sensors?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Phillips in TN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

We've had knock sensors on cars for many years that retard timing in the event of detonation to keep engines running at peak fuel efficiency. Since it is almost impossible to detect thru conventional aircraft engine instrumentation that I'm aware of, or audibly, (such as in cars) that such a device would be very useful in planes, but I've never heard of such a critter. I'm kinda guessing that it is difficult in an air-cooled engine or because of the large cylinder displacement.

Anyone aware of any attempts to do this on Lycs or Conts?

Mark Phillips

See what's new [quote][b]

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

I read years ago that knock sensors were tried but didn't work because
with the piston slap that is present in air cooled aircraft engines
makes it difficult for the sensor to determine the difference between
piston slap and 'knock.'
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tompkinsl(at)integra.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Some time ago I spoke to a long-time engineering friend who has spent his entire (40-yr.) career in automotive engine development. My understanding? is that automobile engine knock sensors are block mounted and detect vibration in engines that compared to aircraft engines run quite smooth. Our engines are s*** shakers, have individual cylinders. His conclusion was that automotive typeknock sensors would probably NOT work in aircraft engines. I consider him very knowledgable as well as an excellent engineer.

Larry Tompkins
[quote][b]

ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Knock sensors are tuned to specific frequency bands depending upon the engine they're used on. Any engine with such large jugs that they have to have 2 plugs per cylinder just to fire all the fuel/air mixture packs a whale of a wollop when it fires. This power ulse wollop is so much larger than the majority of engine knocks that the use of a knock sensor is fruitless. It's also why some props will not work with some engines.

David M.

[quote] ---

azevedoflyer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Maybe we should try again!
Piston slap is a repeatable, rpm-correlated event. Detonation has a high frequency and fast-decaying "signature". Can be easily tracked and filtered. Never had problems with these two. Aircooled engines complicate things a bit because of the finning which radiate vibration in a very ample spectrum. Despite the apparent complexity, I am sure someone can develop a reliable knock sensor for aircooled engines. What about PORSCHE engines?
The problem might reside more in the lack of a large enough market for such product than anything else.

--

Jim Baker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Quote:
I read years ago that knock sensors were tried but didn't work because
with the piston slap that is present in air cooled aircraft engines
makes it difficult for the sensor to determine the difference between
piston slap and 'knock.'

Can't speak to the whole issue but...

I live a short ways from GAMI at Ada, OK. While over there one day I asked
about their electronic ignition. They're using an optical sensor (laser pulsed
into the cylinder via a fiber optic cable situated on an offset spark plug). The
regular 18 mm plug has the cylinder offset axially from the center and the
fiber optic is positioned on the other side. The laser detects the onset of
detonation through some sophisticated algorithims looking at charge density
and flame front propagation (as they explained it to me). GAMI chose the
nastiest engine known in terms of detonation sensitivity, a TSIO 540. They
can virtually feed this beast almost anything combustible and it runs without
complaint. They even demonstarte changing fuel types during a full power
test cell run and you'd never know anything had changed except by watching
the timing and EGT changes on the data screen. Its been a year or so since I
saw it in operation and don't know their current status for certification testing.

Jim Baker
'71 SV, 492TC
Elmore City, OK

altoq(at)cebridge.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Porsche air cooled six cylanders have one on each side mounted on a bar that is bolted to three cylinders. They work good.
[quote] ---

klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Aircooled Porsche's are somewhat around 1/2 Liter per Cylinder (~3Liter / 6Cyl.), whereas the 360cid Lycoming's cylinder volume's are nearly TRIPLE that... Different smoothness for sure...
[quote] ---

glcasey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

I suspect you are right - the market is very, very small. The knock
sensor itself usually is tuned to respond to the knock frequency of a
particular engine and the frequency of a large-bore aircraft engine
is almost certainly a lot different than a car engine, preventing the
use of a cheap readily available sensor. Any knock control system is
software-intensive, with the algorithm being carefully worked out
during lots of experimentation (running on the dyno for lots of
hours). At high power settings the knock is often undetectable as it
is drowned out by the other noises (the car engine systems that I was
familiar with years ago essentially shut off at high load and relied
on the timing acquired during light load operation). And then the
real kicker is that on an aircraft system you want some kind of fault
tolerance - how do you protect against some fault in the system that
over-advances the spark? What do you use to check it? The
combination of all these things will, in my opinion, prevent the use
of a vibration-based knock system in an aircraft engine for some
time. The optical system is perhaps a different matter.
Gary Casey
Quote:

Quote:
Time: 06:26:19 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Knock sensors?
Maybe we should try again!
Piston slap is a repeatable, rpm-correlated event. Detonation has a
high frequency
and fast-decaying "signature". Can be easily tracked and filtered.
Never had
problems with these two. Aircooled engines complicate things a bit
because
of the finning which radiate vibration in a very ample spectrum.
Despite the apparent
complexity, I am sure someone can develop a reliable knock sensor for
aircooled engines. What about PORSCHE engines?
The problem might reside more in the lack of a large enough market
for such product
than anything else.

Mark Phillips in TN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/12/2007 8:27:32 PM Central Daylight Time, azevedoflyer(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Aircooled engines complicate things a bit because of the finning which radiate vibration in a very ample spectrum.

>>>

Based on my meager understanding of knock sensor physics in automotive applications, this was my primary suspicion- how to isolate specific "knock" signatures when you have several hundred fins vibrating in multiple frequencies and harmonics of same. If Lycosaurs were falling from the sky due to detonation at the hands of efficiency-desparate pilots, I'd believe market and/or regulatory pressure would force development of such a system.  Perhaps when domestic airplane fuel hits European price$ and truly efficient operation becomes a defining market factor, this technology will develop and we'll have a new paradigm: LOD operation vs. LOP, just like in your average run-of-the-mill ten-year-old Nissan Sentra....

With the astonishing capacity of modern digital processing, I can't understand how an on-board processor couldn't sample vibratation sendor data from multiple points, compare that against know "safe" data, then somehow annunciate a potentially unsafe condition and/or make appropriate adjustments to whatever engine-management scenario a pilot may employ in the ultimate interest of maximizing efficiency.

Here's hoping that if observers from the Lycoming/Continental intelligentsia have comments, they'd chime in here, even if covertly.

Appreciate the discussion-
Mark

See what's new at AOL.com and

ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

if efficiency were truly a concern, they'd all convert to fuel injection. If that, then the pilot would have no control over anything except which way to point -- and would not need it. The computer would control LOP etc.

David M.

[quote] ---

klehman(at)albedo.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Surely ion sensing of detonation as Saab has been doing (with electronic
ignition) is cheaper to develop and more precise. Could be it will soon
be time to advance into the last century with these engines.
Ken

Fiveonepw(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
In a message dated 10/12/2007 8:27:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
azevedoflyer(at)aol.com writes:

Aircooled engines complicate things a bit because of the finning
which radiate vibration in a very ample spectrum.

>>>

Based on my meager understanding of knock sensor physics in automotive
applications, this was my primary suspicion- how to isolate specific
"knock" signatures when you have several hundred fins vibrating in
multiple frequencies and harmonics of same. If Lycosaurs were falling
from the sky due to detonation at the hands of efficiency-desparate
pilots, I'd believe market and/or regulatory pressure would force
development of such a system. Perhaps when domestic airplane fuel
hits European price$ and truly efficient operation becomes a defining
market factor, this technology will develop and we'll have a new
paradigm: LOD operation vs. LOP, just like in your average
run-of-the-mill ten-year-old Nissan Sentra....

With the astonishing capacity of modern digital processing, I can't
understand how an on-board processor couldn't sample vibratation
sendor data from multiple points, compare that against know "safe"
data, then somehow annunciate a potentially unsafe condition and/or
make appropriate adjustments to whatever engine-management scenario a
pilot may employ in the ultimate interest of maximizing efficiency.

Here's hoping that if observers from the Lycoming/Continental
intelligentsia have comments, they'd chime in here, even if covertly.

Appreciate the discussion-
Mark

apilot2(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Wrong. Most aircraft engines being sold today are fuel
injected........mechanical, continuous flow. No computer involved,
pilot controls the mixture. For computer control, you have to develop
a mixture map for each variety of engine. Ain't gonna happen. Not to
mention that TCM and Lycoming oppose LOP operations, so they wouldn't
design for it.

On 10/14/07, David M. <ainut(at)hiwaay.net> wrote:
[quote]

if efficiency were truly a concern, they'd all convert to fuel injection.
If that, then the pilot would have no control over anything except which way
to point -- and would not need it. The computer would control LOP etc.

David M.

---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

speaking only as an outsider there are two things that I see regarding the use of knock sensors.

First the engines are basically high volume low compression so they are not overly prone to knocking. Sure it can/does occur but not as often as on higher compression engines.

The second point is any knocking would be fairly low in amplitude compared with a higher revving high CR engine.

Even so I think it is obvious that a knock sensor can be developed to operate efficiently on these air-cooled engines. I'll bet they could even install knock sensors in the crank shafts that way sensors could do double duty as a form of torque meter as well as knock sensor.

Noel
[quote]
--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

I've seen the term LOP used a few times..... But have no idea what it means.

Noel

[quote] --

gyoung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

LOP=lean of peak, ROP=rich of peak

Regards,
Greg Young

[quote] --

Mark Phillips in TN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/15/2007 8:52:18 AM Central Daylight Time, noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca writes:
Quote:
I've seen the term LOP used a few times..... But have no idea what it means.

>>>
Normally for injected engines- stands for Lean Of Peak. If using an EGT gauge, leaning the mixture will cause EGTs to rise to a maximum, then begin to fall until there is too little fuel to sustain combustion and the engine will begin to run rough. ROP means Rich Of Peak. Most carbureted engines have less even fuel distribution to each cylinder and the leanest cylinder will begin to mis-fire before an EGT drop is usefully noted. This is a real rough cut on the topic and there is a WHOLE lot more to this- look for articles by John Deakin (sp?) on AvWeb for better info than you found here!

Mark

See what's new at AOL.com and

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

Thanks... I had heard of LOP before long enough ago to have completely
forgotten.

When in technical school we were always told to lean ROP

Noel

[quote] --

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

LOP is the most efficient place to run the motor. From my reading of the
Lycoming power chart it has about a 10% reduction in the BSFC in LOP vs
ROP (BSFC =.45 at 50F LOP and .5 at 80F ROP).

Rumour has it that the only way the old Howard Hughes Connies made it
across the Atlantic was to run the motors LOP.

Its about the only place I run my motor apart from take off and landing.

Frank
RV7a TMX IO360

--

MONTY(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Knock sensors? Reply with quote

The Wright 3350 engines in Super Connies and also the B-29 were operated
LOP. The FE had the most important job on the flight crew. As I
remember,
The FE also had a set of throttles.

Monty Barrett

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: