Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

I'm looking for advice and technical information on installation of a fuel flow sensor on the 912UL engine in my Pipistril Sinus motorglider. Pipistrel offers two potential locations -- one is in the main fuel feed between the gascolator and the fuel pump; the other is in a fuel line leading from the fuel splitter on one of the carburetors.

The Pipistrel support staff notes that if the sensor is placed between the gascolator and the fuel pump, it will be inaccurate by the amount of fuel is being returned to the tank in the fuel return line leading out of the splitter. In that case, the fuel flow instrument will have to be "adjusted" by some undefined amount to account for the fuel return.

The alternative, however, will measure the fuel flow to only one of the carburetors, so I assume the instrument will have to be adjusted to double the reading in that case. This assumes that such an adjustment is possible, and it also assumes that the fuel flow to the two carburetors is identical (although if the carburetors are balanced, that is not an unreasonable assumption).

What are the rest of you doing?

Also, the fuel flow sensor that came with my kit is a Brauniger device. I plan to use a Dynon FlightDek D180. Does anyone know the electrical output characteristerics of the Brauniger flow sensor, and can you confirm (or deny) that it is compatible with the Dynon? Do you know whether the Dynon allows the sort of calibration adjustments necessary to address the installation questions above?

Thanks a lot,
Paul Kuntz
http://www.pipistrelbuilders.com
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
gfmjr_20(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

Paul--
I have the Dynon 180 and am using their fuel flow meter. I have it in line with the pump and just before the return line on a 912uls.  I initially measured the fuel return to determine what correction would be necessay to apply. My return line has a restrictor in it so the return flow is pretty small. If I remember correctly, the return flow was in the vicinity of about 13-15 onces per hour. This is a pretty small value considering that you will be burning about 5 gallons per hour. I have a 24 gallon capacity, about 4 hours cruise, the returned fuel is a very minor issue.  After 150hours on the plane, I basically just disregard the return flow.
So, a long winded way of saying go with the placement of the fuel flow in line with the gascolator and pump.

Good luck
George May
601XL 912s 150 hours
Quote:
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:37:37 -0700
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation

I'm looking for advice and technical information on installation of a fuel flow sensor on the 912UL engine in my Pipistril Sinus motorglider.  Pipistrel offers two potential locations -- one is in the main fuel feed between the gascolator and the fuel pump; the other is in a fuel line leading from the fuel splitter on one of the carburetors.

The Pipistrel support staff notes that if the sensor is placed between the gascolator and the fuel pump, it will be inaccurate by the amount of fuel is being returned to the tank in the fuel return line leading out of the splitter. In that case, the fuel flow instrument will have to be "adjusted" by some undefined amount to account for the fuel return.

The alternative, however, will measure the fuel flow to only one of the carburetors, so I assume the instrument will have to be adjusted to double the reading in that case. This assumes that such an adjustment is possible, and it also assumes that the fuel flow to the two carburetors is identical (although if the carburetors are balanced, that is not an unreasonable assumption).

What are the rest of you doing?

Also, the fuel flow sensor that came with my kit is a Brauniger device. I plan to use a Dynon FlightDek D180. Does anyone know the electrical output characteristerics of the Brauniger flow sensor, and can you confirm (or deny) that it is compatible with the Dynon? Do you know whether the Dynon allows the sort of calibration adjustments necessary to address the installation questions above?

Thanks a lot,
Paul Kuntz
http://www.pipistrelbuilders.com
Quote:

ist" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Make your little one a shining star! Shine on! [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

Thanks, George. That sounds reasonable. I assume that the Dynon does have some means of calibrating the fuel flow readings -- true?

Regards,
Paul Kuntz
[quote] ---

pm(at)tecnam.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

Paul,
I have a Tecnam Sierra with a Dynon D10 engine monitor with the Flowscan 201 sensor which is mounted in the fuel line AFTER the "return to tank bleed" and before the lines split to each carburettor so it only reads fuel actually being used by both . Works fine and I believe very accurate.
Paul Mitchell
[quote] ---

gfmjr_20(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

Yup. It's pretty straight forward. Takes about 5 minutes
[quote] From: paul.r.kuntz(at)gmail.com
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:34:41 -0700

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Thanks, George. That sounds reasonable. I assume that the Dynon does have some means of calibrating the fuel flow readings -- true?

Regards,
Paul Kuntz
[quote] ---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Rotax 912UL fuel flow sensor installation Reply with quote

Use your first location after the gascolator.

Noel
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: