Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 clutch friction torque

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docyukon(at)ptcnet.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: 912 clutch friction torque Reply with quote

Subject: 912 clutch friction torque

Can anyone describe to me, in detail, the proper way to check the clutch friction torque. thanks Bill S.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 912 clutch friction torque Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Before I start you can download and print if you want the "Line Maint' and the "Heavy Maint" manual and "Installation" manual on line. There is a newer version out on the Installation and the Heavy maint. manual dated May of 2007. It is not on the website as yet. It has to be purchased from a dealer. I would at least read section 7.1 page 41 in the "Line Maint" manual and this describes this procedure with pictures.

Ok,
First you need to put the gearbox lock pin in place. It is a screw about
1 5/8" long. You will need to remove the screw in the side of the gearbox (right side as you face the gearbox) and then use a flashlight to see were the notch is on the ecentric balance inside the gearbox through the screw hole. The screw will fit into the notch to keep the gearbox from moving. When the screw is in the proper place it will only screw in and leave about 3/4" sticking out. If it goes in all the way then you missed. If it goes in just a small amount and stops you missed. The notch is visable, just turn the prop really slow and you will see it. Make sure you are in the notch made just for this and not just applying pressure with the screw against the counter balance. This may cause damage. If you turn the prop over slowly and look down inside you will see the notch. Once the gearbox is locked down then you get a good fish scale or something with at least pounds listed. You measure out 30" from the center of the prop hub and attach a rope or strap over the prop that you can attach the scale to so it doesn't damage the prop when you pull. You are going to pull the prop in the direction of travel. It will move about 15-20 degrees. Watch the scale and see how many pounds it registered while the prop moved. Take that number and multiply that by the 30" and that will give you the friction torque. Then just take the locking pin out and put the screw that seals the hole back in place.

I know this may not make a lot of sence, but if you read the "Line Maint." manual section 7.1 page 41 it explains it better and has pictures.

Example.
My prop pulls over at 18 lbs. 18 X 30 = 540. Remember higher is better.
The 200's are very low and it would be better to be in the 400-500's if possible, 300's is ok, but you may need to shim your gearbox in the not to distant future.
It is better to be on the higher side than the lower side. This means that when starting and stoping of your engine does not cause the slipping of the dogs inside the gearbox.

P.S.
If you have any questions or want me to talk you through it call me in Tucson, Az. 520-574-1080

Roger lee

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
docyukon(at)ptcnet.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: 912 clutch friction torque Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and detailed response. I had already read the maint.
manuals and come up with the same info. I should have been a little more
clear on what I was asking. What I wanted to know was the torque setting of
the clutch pack its self and how to check it. I had heard that this should
not be performed on the engine but on the bench.
Bill S. P.S. also a ssa diver Most fun I've had next to
flying.
---

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 912 clutch friction torque Reply with quote

Bill S.

The pre-loading in the gearbox is set by the use of shims under the spring washers on the prop shaft. It requires a hydraulic press and a special tool to compress the spring washers to remove the semi-circular retainer rings. The shims required is a function of the space between the bottom of the retainer slot and the top of the big gear when it is compressed at a specified force, 3600 lb, if memory serves.

To see and understand this better, check out the photos in the Rotax 2-stroke maintenance manual. I've not seen a photo of this procedure on the 912 gearbox, though I watched it in Lockwood class. The force spec. may be different between the 2-strokes and the 912 series but the method and procedure is similar.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: