Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator trim rigging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafael(at)gforcecable.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I would appreciate some help. I’m trying to rig up the electric trim and find that I need to trim away quite a bit of metal to eliminate interference for the full down trim.

I followed Van’s instructions regarding the positioning of the trim motor mount. As you can see from the pictures, though still within the opening footprint,
the actuating rod turned out pretty close to the inboard edge. (I thought about centering the mounts at the time, but decided to trust the plans.)

After installing the trim system, there is a slight miss-alignment, but nothing that would cause stress in the system. I made some marks on the max, min, and half-way travel of the actuating rod. I then adjusted the length for no trim at the half-way point.

What worries me most is the amount of metal I have to file out to prevent the actuating rod from contacting the elevator under max down trim. As you can see, I’ve already removed quite a bit of Aluminum. I hesitate to trim further without some reassurance.

Van’s builder’s assistance is closed for the weekend, so I thought I would seek y’alls’ help (I recently moved to Aiken, SC, and I’m learning the local grammar Wink)

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List

IMG_0145.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.07 KB
 Viewed:  648 Time(s)

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.53 KB
 Viewed:  623 Time(s)

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.77 KB
 Viewed:  593 Time(s)

IMG_0148.JPG

andrew.phillips(at)sympat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Brunke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Dear Rafael,

I had the same problem, till a more experienced builder told me to put a bend in the threaded rod.

It will lift it just slightly and should give you a little more breathing room.
Hope that works for you. Sorry I don't have a photo close by to send.

John Brunke
RV7 in progress
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Thanks!

That makes a lot of sense. It’s definitely less traumatic than removing al that aluminum.

I’ll try it.

Regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J. Brunke
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:04 PM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Elevator trim rigging

Dear Rafael,

I had the same problem, till a more experienced builder told me to put a bend in the threaded rod.

John Brunke

RV7 in progress
[quote]
---

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Rafael,

My kit came with two sets of aluminum material to make the horn which is riveted to the trim surface and connects to the rod. One is for manual trim and one for electric. Are you sure that your using the correct one? I don't recall having to trim or enlarge the hole for the rod.

Bevan
Rv7A wiring

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rafael
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 5:22 PM
Subject: Elevator trim rigging

Hi folks!

I would appreciate some help. I’m trying to rig up the electric trim and find that I need to trim away quite a bit of metal to eliminate interference for the full down trim.

I followed Van’s instructions regarding the positioning of the trim motor mount. As you can see from the pictures, though still within the opening footprint,
the actuating rod turned out pretty close to the inboard edge. (I thought about centering the mounts at the time, but decided to trust the plans.)

After installing the trim system, there is a slight miss-alignment, but nothing that would cause stress in the system. I made some marks on the max, min, and half-way travel of the actuating rod. I then adjusted the length for no trim at the half-way point.

What worries me most is the amount of metal I have to file out to prevent the actuating rod from contacting the elevator under max down trim. As you can see, I’ve already removed quite a bit of Aluminum. I hesitate to trim further without some reassurance.

Van’s builder’s assistance is closed for the weekend, so I thought I would seek y’alls’ help (I recently moved to Aiken, SC, and I’m learning the local grammar Wink)

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Bevan,

Thanks for your input.

I believe I have the correct type installed.

I also have two sets of horns: one with the provision for either electric or manual trim, and another for electric trim only.

On the one for either installation, there are two sets of holes. One set, further from the trim surface, is for the manual trim. The other, closest to the trim surface, is for electric trim. One is supposed to trim off the excess material for the electric trim installation.

On the other set of horns, those for electric trim, there is only one set of holes and no material trimming is necessary. When I compare the set horn for universal installation with the ones for electric installation only, the dimensions are the same after trimming the excess material on the dual ones.

Now, if one were to use the manual trim holes on the dual horns in an electric installation, there would indeed be plenty of clearance for the rod. This makes me wonder why did Vans make the electric trim horns so much closer to the trim tab.

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of B Tomm
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 2:23 AM
Subject: RE: Elevator trim rigging

Rafael,

My kit came with two sets of aluminum material to make the horn which is riveted to the trim surface and connects to the rod. One is for manual trim and one for electric. Are you sure that your using the correct one? I don't recall having to trim or enlarge the hole for the rod.

Bevan
Rv7A wiring

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rafael
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 5:22 PM
Hi folks!

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Thanks again, John for your suggestion.

I bent the rod a few degrees and that worked very well. It not only gave me good clearance, but I was also to correct for the slight miss-alignment.

I now have another question: I measure a trim control of 20.6 degrees up trim max. and 23.2 degrees down trim max. Van’s figures, on section 15: Flight Controls, call for Maximum up/down of 25-35 degrees. That implies to me that a minimum travel of 50 degrees is necessary. I’m getting 43.8 degrees, so there’s no way to meet these numbers. It’s all that the motor actuator will give.

Any comments as to what’s going on?

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:58 PM

Thanks!

That makes a lot of sense. It’s definitely less traumatic than removing al that aluminum.

I’ll try it.

Regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of J. Brunke

Dear Rafael,

John Brunke

RV7 in progress
[quote]
---

sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

I had the same question when I was working on my Elevators. I believe somewhere in the electric trim instructions it does say that you can put a bend in the threaded rod.

Scott R. Shook
RV-7A (Building)
N696JS (Reserved)

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 17:22

Hi folks!

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael
[quote][b]

Don Owens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Hi Rafael,
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Thanks for the post.  I have just been working on the same thing.  Now I need to hook up the actuating rod and see if I have the same problem.  If it does, I’ll let you know.
In the mean time, thanks for making me aware of a potential problem.
Don Owens
Hi folks!

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael
[quote][b]

Don Owens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Rafael,
Well, I checked the actuating rod on my elevator trim system and found that it also had too much interference. 
I took it all apart and removed some sheet metal where it was rubbing.  Also I used a sander and ground the threads off in the middle portion of the rod so it would not bind if it did rub on the sheet metal.  Now it only rubs the sheet metal in an extreme nose down trim position.
If I need that much nose down trip perhaps I should remove the excess weight from my baggage compartment. J
Don
[quote][b]

yenduc(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Rafael:
I just got back from a trip and saw your question about the trim travel.  I measured mine today and it is very close to your measurement.  I have 20.3 up trim (down movement of the trim tab) and 24.8 down trim (up movement of the  trim tab) for a total of 45.3.  As I recall from the last RV that I flew you use very little of the trim tab to adjust for approach speed and curse.  I see no method of getting more travel without changing the trim servo. Maybe someone else has a method to get more travel from the servo.  

good luck
dave
RV 7A
Starting on the cowling
On Aug 4, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Rafael wrote:
[quote]

I bent the rod a few degrees and that worked very well.  It not only gave me good clearance, but I was also to correct for the slight miss-alignment.

I now have another question:  I measure a trim control of 20.6 degrees up trim max. and 23.2 degrees down trim max.  Van’s figures, on section 15: Flight Controls, call for Maximum up/down of 25-35 degrees.  That implies to me that a minimum travel of 50 degrees is necessary.  I’m getting 43.8 degrees, so there’s no way to meet these numbers.  It’s all that the motor actuator will give.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of RafaelSent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:58 PMTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com (rv7-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: RE: Elevator trim rigging

Thanks!

That makes a lot of sense.  It’s definitely less traumatic than removing al that aluminum.

I’ll try it.

Regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of J. BrunkeSent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:04 PMTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com (rv7-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Elevator trim rigging

Dear Rafael,

Hope that works for you.   Sorry I don't have a photo close by to send.

John Brunke

RV7 in progress
[quote]
---

g4mech(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Yep, my RV-7 needs VERY little trim changes through the full speed range.

Mike
RV-7
250 Hours

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dave Cudney
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:49 PM

Rafael:
I just got back from a trip and saw your question about the trim travel. I measured mine today and it is very close to your measurement. I have 20.3 up trim (down movement of the trim tab) and 24.8 down trim (up movement of the trim tab) for a total of 45.3. As I recall from the last RV that I flew you use very little of the trim tab to adjust for approach speed and curse. I see no method of getting more travel without changing the trim servo. Maybe someone else has a method to get more travel from the servo.

good luck
dave
RV 7A
Starting on the cowling

Quote:

I bent the rod a few degrees and that worked very well. It not only gave me good clearance, but I was also to correct for the slight miss-alignment.

I now have another question: I measure a trim control of 20.6 degrees up trim max. and 23.2 degrees down trim max. Van’s figures, on section 15: Flight Controls, call for Maximum up/down of 25-35 degrees. That implies to me that a minimum travel of 50 degrees is necessary. I’m getting 43.8 degrees, so there’s no way to meet these numbers. It’s all that the motor actuator will give.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of RafaelSent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:58 PMTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com (rv7-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: RE: Elevator trim rigging

Thanks!

I’ll try it.

Regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of J. BrunkeSent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:04 PMTo: rv7-list(at)matronics.com (rv7-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Elevator trim rigging

Dear Rafael,

John Brunke

RV7 in progress
Quote:

----- Original Message -----

To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com (rv7-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:22 PM

Hi folks!

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
0href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
1[/b] [quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Elevator trim rigging Reply with quote

Thanks!

That’s what it is and it looks like it will do fine.

Cheers,

Rafael
RV7A Just finishing the empennage.

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dave Cudney
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:49 AM

Rafael:

I just got back from a trip and saw your question about the trim travel. I measured mine today and it is very close to your measurement. I have 20.3 up trim (down movement of the trim tab) and 24.8 down trim (up movement of the trim tab) for a total of 45.3. As I recall from the last RV that I flew you use very little of the trim tab to adjust for approach speed and curse. I see no method of getting more travel without changing the trim servo. Maybe someone else has a method to get more travel from the servo.

good luck

dave

RV 7A

Starting on the cowling

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rafael
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 10:58 PM

Thanks!

I’ll try it.

Regards,

Rafael

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of J. Brunke

Dear Rafael,

John Brunke

RV7 in progress
Quote:

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 6:22 PM

Hi folks!

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: