Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spinner to prop clearance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vhimsl(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: spinner to prop clearance Reply with quote

Hello,

The plans say 1/16 to 1/8” gap clearance between spinner and prop (catto three blade)

My gap(s) are more like 1/8” to ¼”

Are we talking aesthetics here or safety/performance?

Anyone per chance with the same gap (gaffe) and prop?

Thanks
Vince H. Finish
RV8-VSB
Estimated time of completion: 6 years ago.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
diesel(at)rconnect.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: spinner to prop clearance Reply with quote

Vince...

Most appear to be going for tighter clearances but I enlarged mine to 7/16" and glad I did. The cowl is difficult enough to get off & on without scratching the paint now without it being still tighter. I think the feeling here is some efficiency (performance), mostly aesthetics, but not much maintainability. My prop was a Sensenich FP but since converted to Hartzell CS.

Another popular close fit is around the tires on wheel fairings to improve aerodynamics but I have seen many chaffed tires. I tried for a "thumb width" around the tire and even enlarged it later to allow the tires room to flex. I did chose ease of maintenance over a couple knots I built and this has served me well.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6
200 hours
Northfield, MN

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jhstarn(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: spinner to prop clearance Reply with quote

Seven years ago the HRII (IO-540) was ready for the cowl/spinner clearence question. I ask on line and was advised to leave at least 1/4 at the top & 7/16 at the bottom so when the "sag" occured they would even out. This was reportedly because of the "extra" weight of six cylinders & longer monment. Well six years later I'm still waiting for the "sag" to even up the gap. Not sure how many 1/1000th's of a MPH we lost because of the gap BUT take a look at the spam cans (Comanche's) gap & SMILE. KABONG Do Not Archive
Quote:
Date: 2007/04/27 Fri PM 09:33:43 CDT
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: spinner to prop clearance

[quote]Vince... Most appear to be going for tighter clearances but I enlarged mine to 7/16" and glad I did.  The cowl is difficult enough to get off & on without scratching the paint now without it being still tighter.  I think the feeling here is some efficiency (performance), mostly aesthetics, but not much maintainability.  My prop was a Sensenich FP but since converted to Hartzell CS. Another popular close fit is around the tires on wheel fairings to improve aerodynamics but I have seen many chaffed tires.  I tried for a "thumb width" around the tire and even enlarged it later to allow the tires room to flex.  I did chose ease of maintenance over a couple knots I built and this has served me well.   Dick DeCramerN500DD RV6200 hoursNorthfield, MN  ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: