Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup Electric Vacuum Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveadams

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

I know the trend is toward glass, however that can be a major project and expense for those of us with steam gauges. A backup electric AI costs about the same as a Dynon. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting in a simple electric vacuum pump as a backup to the engine driven pump. I don't know what kind of flow you would need to reliably power the gyros, but it seems it would be a relatively inexpensive and simple retrofit that could even be tied in to a switch to automatically power the pump when the vacuum pressure drops. I guess it would also be useful for those converting to glass, who could keep their old gyros as backup, and still get rid of the engine driven vacuum pump. I know there is a certified electric pump that costs over $1000, but there are a lot of non-aircraft air pumps that could probably do the job for a lot less. Any suggestions or experience with this?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Steve,
What I don't understand is why more folks don't use venturi's.  They work well, are cheap and are very reliable. If they are mounted on the belly in the path of the airflow from the engine, they even have reasonable protection from ice.

Many airplanes flew in heavy IFR weather for many years using nothing but a venturi to power all of the instruments. What gave venturi's a bad name was when foolish people started to mount them on the side of the fuselage instead in the airstream behind the engine. I have a small venturi powering a single T&B. If all else fails, I can easily control the airplane with just that one T&B. If I have any altitude information at all it is easy. Add a handheld GPS and I have more than the fanciest airplanes had in the thirties.

I will say that very few people receive as much training as they should in the use of partial panel.

Along that line, it is a LOT cheaper to take twenty hours of dual in partial panel operations than it is to buy any standby horizon. And the training will help in any airplane. One point though. Partial panel can be done with a turn coordinator, but I much prefer the classic T&B. It is about the most reliable mechanical instrument we have ever had. Some day, I am sure there will be a solid state turn indicator that will replace the T&B. However, until that time. Get a T&B, power it with a small venturi and spend a thousand bucks on dual training getting thoroughly familiar with using the T&B to control the airplane.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 3/2/2007 2:19:29 P.M. Central Standard Time, dr_steve_adams(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
I know the trend is toward glass, however that can be a major project and expense for those of us with steam gauges. A backup electric AI costs about the same as a Dynon. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting in a simple electric vacuum pump as a backup to the engine drove pump. I don't know what kind of flow you would need to reliably power the gyros, but it seems it would be a relatively inexpensive and simple retrofit that could even be tied in to a switch to automatically power the pump when the vacuum pressure drops. I guess it would also be useful for those converting to glass, who could keep their old gyros as backup, and still get rid of the engine driven vacuum pump. I know there is a certified electric pump that costs over $1000, but there are a lot of non-aircraft air pumps that could probably do the job for a lot less. Any suggestions or experience with this?

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

klehman(at)albedo.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

The engine intake manifold works fine anytime you are not at full power.
With some partial panel practice, an electric Turn & Bank is also a
sufficient backup for most aircraft.
Some folks like 3 items so you have a tie breaker when one goes wonky.
I have a vacuum and an electric T&B plus a low vacuum warning from the EIS.
Ken

steveadams wrote:

Quote:

I know the trend is toward glass, however that can be a major project and expense for those of us with steam gauges. A backup electric AI costs about the same as a Dynon. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting in a simple electric vacuum pump as a backup to the engine driven pump. I don't know what kind of flow you would need to reliably power the gyros, but it seems it would be a relatively inexpensive and simple retrofit that could even be tied in to a switch to automatically power the pump when the vacuum pressure drops. I guess it would also be useful for those converting to glass, who could keep their old gyros as backup, and still get rid of the engine driven vacuum pump. I know there is a certified electric pump that costs over $1000, but there are a lot of non-aircraft air pumps that could probably do the job for a lot less. Any suggestions or experience with this?

nuckollsr(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

At 12:16 PM 3/2/2007 -0800, you wrote:

Quote:

<dr_steve_adams(at)yahoo.com>

I know the trend is toward glass, however that can be a major project and
expense for those of us with steam gauges. A backup electric AI costs
about the same as a Dynon. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting in
a simple electric vacuum pump as a backup to the engine driven pump. I
don't know what kind of flow you would need to reliably power the gyros,
but it seems it would be a relatively inexpensive and simple retrofit that
could even be tied in to a switch to automatically power the pump when the
vacuum pressure drops. I guess it would also be useful for those
converting to glass, who could keep their old gyros as backup, and still
get rid of the engine driven vacuum pump. I know there is a certified
electric pump that costs over $1000, but there are a lot of non-aircraft
air pumps that could probably do the job for a lot less. Any suggestions
or experience with this?

While in the employ of Electro-Mech in the early 80s we
were among the several companies that brought electrically
driven, stand-by vacuum pumps to the GA market. First,
know that the energy required is not insubstantial. As
I recall, our 28 volt offering drew about 6 amps of current.
A 14 volt would be about twice that much. Second, you'll need
to supply some sort of transfer valve in the plumbing.
Be wary of automatic valves . . . a stuck transfer
valve contributed to the sad outcome of this event:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/N79NL.pdf

Then there's the weight. I'm thinking that the
s/b vacuum system adds about 6 pounds of weight.

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------
( IF one aspires to be "world class", )
( what ever you do must be exercised )
( EVERY day . . . )
( R. L. Nuckolls III )

bob(at)bob-white.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I looked at a couple of things to generate a vacuum. Some cars in the
early 90's had an electric smog pump. I bought one on ebay for about
$100 and found that it pulled over 10 amps at 13 V and connecting it to
the vacuum system left over from the removal of a Lycoming didn't
provide enough vacuum to run a DG and an artificial horizon. There are
vacuum pumps used to provide a vacuum in electric cars but they were
more like $200-$300 and I wasn't willing to spend that much to
experiment. There may be a setup that works but it isn't trivial.

I bought a TruTrak ADI and it seems to work well. Unfortunately the
heading info is GPS based so if you don't have a good GPS signal you
don't have heading (actually track).

If you must have a vacuum instrument, I think Old Bob's advice is good.
Use a venturi to run a T&B

Bob W.
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:16:54 -0800
"steveadams" <dr_steve_adams(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=98343#98343

--
N93BD - Rotary Powered BD-4 - http://www.bob-white.com
First Flight: 11/23/2006 7:50AM - 3.3 Hours Total Time
Cables for your rotary installation - http://www.roblinphoto.com/shop/

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Hi Bob ...
Couldn't agree more with the idea of using a venturi's to drive a single instrument. The idea of driving a vacuum driven horizon has pulled at me for some time. The group of three info providing life savers ... attitude, airspeed and altitude are all air driven and simple. The only one needing vacuum could easily be driven with an 8" venturi. The venturi does require high velocity air over and through it to pull the vacuum. My son and I were experimenting yesterday with a venturi 6" long X 2" diameter. It will drive a turn needle (as it's designed to do) but a horizon needs more beef to sustain it. I like the idea of putting the venturi in the cowl exit air and I will try that with a couple other venturi's. I also will create a gill type venturi which could be placed on the side of the fuselage, right beside the inst panel so the vacuum could be within about a foot of the horizon. When I have the mods completed on my RV4 (before Spring) it will be used for this test bed. The venturi is but one of these test items. Has anyone on the list messed with a gill type venturi? My fondest hope would be to create something made similar a NACA vent that could simply be bonded/riveted onto the sheet metal and plug in a vacuum line. Done! It's probably more involved than just that but it's the essence of the thought.

You have to admit Bob, one peek at a vacuum horizon is worth 20 peeks at a T&B ... : )
Jerry Grimmonpre
[quote] ---

N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys, but if I were building an experimental
and had no Type Certificate I had to abide by, I would be spending my
time figuring out how to build a bullet proof electrical system and
getting rid of anything that had the word Vacuum in it. It's an old,
archaic technology that, at the present date, serves ONLY to make
gyros cheaper. The vacuum pumps are less reliable or long-lived than
an alternator, and you're basically building a parallel power system
for gyros that adds weight and complexity, hoses, filters, etc, and
so on. If you've got redundant electrical, and you are now worrying
about a backup vacuum system, you're basically building QUADRUPLE
parallel systems to power gyros. That's insane to me.

Build redundancy into the electrical system, use solid state gyros,
eschew vacuum. Or was that "escrew"?

Dave Morris
Stuck in the 60's with a vacuum powered Mooney

At 01:29 PM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
[quote]Hi Bob ...
Couldn't agree more with the idea of using a venturi's to drive a
single instrument. The idea of driving a vacuum driven horizon has
pulled at me for some time. The group of three info providing life
savers ... attitude, airspeed and altitude are all air driven and
simple. The only one needing vacuum could easily be driven with an
8" venturi. The venturi does require high velocity air over and
through it to pull the vacuum. My son and I were experimenting
yesterday with a venturi 6" long X 2" diameter. It will drive a
turn needle (as it's designed to do) but a horizon needs more beef
to sustain it. I like the idea of putting the venturi in the cowl
exit air and I will try that with a couple other venturi's. I also
will create a gill type venturi which could be placed on the side of
the fuselage, right beside the inst panel so the vacuum could be
within about a foot of the horizon. When I have the mods completed
on my RV4 (before Spring) it will be used for this test bed. The
venturi is but one of these test items. Has anyone on the list
messed with a gill type venturi? My fondest hope would be to
create something made similar a NACA vent that could simply be
bonded/riveted onto the sheet metal and plug in a vacuum
line. Done! It's probably more involved than just that but it's
the essence of the thought.

You have to admit Bob, one peek at a vacuum horizon is worth 20
peeks at a T&B ... : )
Jerry Grimmonpre
---

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/3/2007 1:31:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, jerry(at)mc.net writes:
Quote:
You have to admit Bob, one peek at a vacuum horizon is worth 20 peeks at a T&B ... : )
Jerry Grimmonpre

Good Afternoon Jerry,

I am not so sure I would agree. It is possible to have two artificial horizons that are both active and that change attitude when you roll, but one may be accurate and the other not. You have to decide which is correct.

Attitude gyros do occasionally get the "leans".

In at least ninety-nine and forty-four one hundredths of a percent of the times, if the T&B is wiggling, it is working.

And, if we are confused as to where up is, it is hard to believe an instrument that does not agree with our senses. However, we don't have to agree with the T&B. If it says we are not turning , we will survive. It makes no difference at all where we think up is. No turns, no problem!

Not only that, but even a cheap old airline pilot can afford one.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

nuckollsr(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

>At 09:23 PM 3/3/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Good Evening Bob,

>May I take that to mean that you would want a GPS aided wing leveler in a
Stearman?,
>Piper Cub?, Luscombe?, Cessna 140? Cessna 172, Beech Musketeer?,
>Beech Bonanza? North American AT-6? Twin Beech?

Sure, why not? The answer is simple for most owners
but for myself, I wouldn't own one of those airplanes
because I need to stand in line at too many windows
begging permission to make it better.

>Where would you draw the line? All of the above? None of the
>above? Some of the above?

You have just illuminated the reason that those airplanes
are all rotting away never to be replaced. The GPS
aided wing leveler is mechanically no more difficult to
install in one of those airplanes than in an RV. But
those who claim to know more about what's good for us
have become the mill-stones between which those airplanes
are slowly turning to dust.

>I have never flown any airplane that had a GPS aided wing lever
>though I have flown and owned plenty that did have wing levelers.
>We all have to make individual decisions on what we feel meets our
>individual level of risk, but requiring a GPS aided wing leveler
>is not real high on my list of necessities. Interesting that you
>think such a device is imperative.

Depends on what your design goals are. For most of the
the folks on this List, reducing cost of ownership is
a goal. Dependency on a T&B traded for dependency on
a GPS aided wing leveler offers a lower cost of ownership
over the lifetime of the airplane.

>Just goes to show, there is a wide range of desires among us all.

If the "desire" is to minimize the probability of an
unhappy ending to a piece of equipment failing, then
the design goals are pretty clear. I've watched the
conversations here on the List and elsewhere for
over a decade that vigorously debated the value of
this technique or piece of equipment over that . . .
But seldom did the conversation recommend reversion
modes that reduce, not increase pilot workload.

I'm dead-nuts serious about the admonition in my
signature tag . . . an exceedingly small number of pilots
accomplish daily practice for standard (much less reversion)
modes flight in IMC. I understand that you may be personally
comfortable . . . and perhaps world class in skills and
willingness to fly through clouds with the venerable tools
of yesteryear. I've done it too. But I cannot in good
conscience recommend that the neophyte builder embrace
these techniques today when there are better options that
are cheap as a percentage of the total cost of acquiring,
owning and operating an airplane.

In a cost-of-ownership accounting, the venturi-driven
T&B offered as a gift will be more expensive in $time$
expended than what's needed to install the modern alternative.
Further, the GPS aided wing leveler adds value to a
high percentage of every flight while the T&B is useful
for calibrating your rudder pressure on climb-out,
setting rudder trim, and being there to assist with the
management of a failure that you hope will never come but
demands a perpetual investment of $time$ to make sure
you are ready when it does.

Very few of us are professional pilots. Those of us
who are should be mindful of advice which presumes that
all listeners are interested in (or even capable of) achieving
levels of proficiency needed to avoid quantum jumps
in risk after certain failures. This isn't about a "wide
range of desires" but simple failure modes effects analysis
in a market place where the pilots come with a wide range
of capability and willingness to spend $time$ necessary
to level the risks if not lower them.

One of the reasons why I see an opportunity for OBAM aviation
to excel in accident reduction is because we can readily
take advantage of modernization opportunities for reducing
workload without begging anyone's permission.

When the GPS aided wing leveler is present, failure of the
primary display does not generate an immediate need
to revert to a whole new mode of flying. When one is
depending on primary attitude displays to stay upright,
then reversion to N/B/AS aviating at the same level of risk
demands and investment of $time$ for maintenance of
proficiency. The GPS aided wing leveler will hold track to
within a degree or so all day, every day and doesn't need a
bit of practice to stay "world class" at the task.

Bob . . .

( IF one aspires to be "world class", )
( what ever you do must be exercised )
( EVERY day . . . )
( R. L. Nuckolls III )

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Good Morning 'Lectric Bob,
Thank you for the very complete analysis of my position on the validity of using a T&B and venturi as a low cost back up to whatever else is deemed desirable in a flying machine.

I have been reading your freely presented views since the days when the connection was from Down By The Riverside Press. (or, something close to that)

Always a pleasure and your writings are always able to jiggle some thought out of my very uneducated brain.

Nevertheless, I do think my responses have some merit.

The original question that started this particular string had to do with providing a low cost source of vacuum.

The Venturi is a low cost option.

It is susceptible to icing, but when placed in a warm airstream behind the engine it has been shown to handle ice quite well. Vacuum pumps do fail. Especially the modern dry pumps if they are not replaced or serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

I still think the venturi is a viable option.

I recognize that you cannot take the time to read everything on this list. However, I think you would find that I have always said that I will happily embrace a newer technology whenever it fits my needs (and my price point!). There is nothing I would like better than having a solid state autopilot that would be reliable enough such that I did not have to know how to fly by instruments to be able to operate in cloud.

If I were to be dropped in the wilderness with nothing to sustain me, I would surely die. Many of my ancestors would have been able to survive in those same conditions.

Having accepted modern conveniences to keep me alive, I think I would be able to accept fully automatic flight sometime in the future.

Just not yet.

I recognize that I am old and am happy with current knowledge. It does allow me to feel comfortable flying a lot of those flying machines that are "rotting away".

If the new breed of aviators is comfortable flying without the ability to control their flying machine while in cloud, that is fine with me.

The venturi powered T&B in my Stearman is very comforting.

You infer that flying a partial panel is difficult. I contend that it is NOT particularly difficult, IF adequate training has been received.

There is no doubt that the skill is being lost. Most larger airliners lost their T&Bs almost forty years ago. To my knowledge, none ever had a turn coordinator.

Chances are that many of the more modern airline pilots would have a problem flying with the basic needle ball and airspeed.

I contend that the skill is relatively easy to attain ... IF the skill is desired!

You very correctly stated that a skill not exercised tends to be lost. One of the reasons I like the T&B over the TC is because I find it relatively easy to integrate into my basic scan. I do so by using the T&B to check my rate of turn even though basic attitude reference is being obtained from an artificial horizon. This day and age, rate of turn is not regularly considered, but by keeping the rate of turn in mind, I force myself to include the T&B in my normal scan which makes it much easier for me to use should a failure occur.

You make reference to my background as a professional pilot.

I agree that I have had an opportunity that not every pilot has, needs, or wants. However, I have also been a flight instructor for fifty-eight years and in those fifty-eight years have trained many an instrument pilot. Not all of them have retained their partial panel skills, but many have!

I do not contend that my way is the only way, just that it is a useful way.

I see that I have wandered all over the landscape where the original intent was to suggest a low cost source of vacuum to someone who was looking for such a source.

Once again, my lack of education has done me in, --- but I am having fun!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 3/3/2007 11:24:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, nuckollsr(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

Quote:
At 09:23 PM 3/3/2007 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:
Good Evening Bob,

Quote:
May I take that to mean that you would want a GPS aided wing leveler in a
Stearman?,

Quote:
Piper Cub?, Luscombe?, Cessna 140? Cessna 172, Beech Musketeer?,
Beech Bonanza? North American AT-6? Twin Beech?

Sure, why not? The answer is simple for most owners
but for myself, I wouldn't own one of those airplanes
because I need to stand in line at too many windows
begging permission to make it better.

Quote:
Where would you draw the line? All of the above? None of the
above? Some of the above?

You have just illuminated the reason that those airplanes
are all rotting away never to be replaced. The GPS
aided wing leveler is mechanically no more difficult to
install in one of those airplanes than in an RV. But
those who claim to know more about what's good for us
have become the mill-stones between which those airplanes
are slowly turning to dust.

Quote:
I have never flown any airplane that had a GPS aided wing lever
though I have flown and owned plenty that did have wing levelers.
We all have to make individual decisions on what we feel meets our
individual level of risk, but requiring a GPS aided wing leveler
is not real high on my list of necessities. Interesting that you
think such a device is imperative.

Depends on what your design goals are. For most of the
the folks on this List, reducing cost of ownership is
a goal. Dependency on a T&B traded for dependency on
a GPS aided wing leveler offers a lower cost of ownership
over the lifetime of the airplane.

Quote:
Just goes to show, there is a wide range of desires among us all.

If the "desire" is to minimize the probability of an
unhappy ending to a piece of equipment failing, then
the design goals are pretty clear. I've watched the
conversations here on the List and elsewhere for
over a decade that vigorously debated the value of
this technique or piece of equipment over that . . .
But seldom did the conversation recommend reversion
modes that reduce, not increase pilot workload.

I'm dead-nuts serious about the admonition in my
signature tag . . . an exceedingly small number of pilots
accomplish daily practice for standard (much less reversion)
modes flight in IMC. I understand that you may be personally
comfortable . . . and perhaps world class in skills and
willingness to fly through clouds with the venerable tools
of yesteryear. I've done it too. But I cannot in good
conscience recommend that the neophyte builder embrace
these techniques today when there are better options that
are cheap as a percentage of the total cost of acquiring,
owning and operating an airplane.

In a cost-of-ownership accounting, the venturi-driven
T&B offered as a gift will be more expensive in $time$
expended than what's needed to install the modern alternative.
Further, the GPS aided wing leveler adds value to a
high percentage of every flight while the T&B is useful
for calibrating your rudder pressure on climb-out,
setting rudder trim, and being there to assist with the
management of a failure that you hope will never come but
demands a perpetual investment of $time$ to make sure
you are ready when it does.

Very few of us are professional pilots. Those of us
who are should be mindful of advice which presumes that
all listeners are interested in (or even capable of) achieving
levels of proficiency needed to avoid quantum jumps
in risk after certain failures. This isn't about a "wide
range of desires" but simple failure modes effects analysis
in a market place where the pilots come with a wide range
of capability and willingness to spend $time$ necessary
to level the risks if not lower them.

One of the reasons why I see an opportunity for OBAM aviation
to excel in accident reduction is because we can readily
take advantage of modernization opportunities for reducing
workload without begging anyone's permission.

When the GPS aided wing leveler is present, failure of the
primary display does not generate an immediate need
to revert to a whole new mode of flying. When one is
depending on primary attitude displays to stay upright,
then reversion to N/B/AS aviating at the same level of risk
demands and investment of $time$ for maintenance of
proficiency. The GPS aided wing leveler will hold track to
within a degree or so all day, every day and doesn't need a
bit of practice to stay "world class" at the task.

Bob . . .

[quote][b]

nuckollsr(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

At 09:20 AM 3/4/2007 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:
Good Morning 'Lectric Bob,

Thank you for the very complete analysis of my position on the validity of
using a T&B and venturi as a low cost back up to whatever else is deemed
desirable in a flying machine.

I have been reading your freely presented views since the days when the
connection was from Down By The Riverside Press. (or, something close to that)

Always a pleasure and your writings are always able to jiggle some thought
out of my very uneducated brain.

Nevertheless, I do think my responses have some merit.

The original question that started this particular string had to do with
providing a low cost source of vacuum.

The Venturi is a low cost option.

No argument.

Quote:

It is susceptible to icing, but when placed in a warm airstream behind the
engine it has been shown to handle ice quite well. Vacuum pumps do fail.
Especially the modern dry pumps if they are not replaced or serviced in
accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

I still think the venturi is a viable option.

Also no argument.

Quote:

I recognize that you cannot take the time to read everything on this list.
However, I think you would find that I have always said that I will
happily embrace a newer technology whenever it fits my needs (and my price
point!). There is nothing I would like better than having a solid state
autopilot that would be reliable enough such that I did not have to know
how to fly by instruments to be able to operate in cloud.

If I were to be dropped in the wilderness with nothing to sustain me, I
would surely die. Many of my ancestors would have been able to survive in
those same conditions.

Having accepted modern conveniences to keep me alive, I think I would be
able to accept fully automatic flight sometime in the future.

Just not yet.

Which IS your preference . . .

Quote:

I recognize that I am old and am happy with current knowledge. It does
allow me to feel comfortable flying a lot of those flying machines that
are "rotting away".

If the new breed of aviators is comfortable flying without the ability to
control their flying machine while in cloud, that is fine with me.

The venturi powered T&B in my Stearman is very comforting.

You infer that flying a partial panel is difficult. I contend that it is
NOT particularly difficult, IF adequate training has been received.

"IF" is the operative word here . . .

Quote:

There is no doubt that the skill is being lost. Most larger airliners lost
their T&Bs almost forty years ago. To my knowledge, none ever had a turn
coordinator.

Chances are that many of the more modern airline pilots would have a
problem flying with the basic needle ball and airspeed.

I contend that the skill is relatively easy to attain ... IF the skill is
desired!

You very correctly stated that a skill not exercised tends to be lost. One
of the reasons I like the T&B over the TC is because I find it relatively
easy to integrate into my basic scan. I do so by using the T&B to check my
rate of turn even though basic attitude reference is being obtained from
an artificial horizon. This day and age, rate of turn is not regularly
considered, but by keeping the rate of turn in mind, I force myself to
include the T&B in my normal scan which makes it much easier for me to use
should a failure occur.

You make reference to my background as a professional pilot.

I agree that I have had an opportunity that not every pilot has, needs, or
wants. However, I have also been a flight instructor for fifty-eight years
and in those fifty-eight years have trained many an instrument pilot. Not
all of them have retained their partial panel skills, but many have!

I do not contend that my way is the only way, just that it is a useful way.

I see that I have wandered all over the landscape where the original
intent was to suggest a low cost source of vacuum to someone who was
looking for such a source.

Once again, my lack of education has done me in, --- but I am having fun!

That's what it's all about. Fun and risk reduction.
You've offered nothing that's arguable. Nor have I.
You've encouraged new builders to take advantage of
a system that has a exceedingly low initial cost and
if they're willing to do the investment of $time$ for
training and sustaining the skill, it's one option.

My approach is that of a systems integrator where
the pilot is a close second place behind the airframe
in the study of need for reliability in flight system
components.

I have observed first-hand how a pilot who took all the
courses, spent a lot of time in his airplane, and outfitted
it with everything you and I both would recommend . . .
except a stand alone wing-leveler that would back up
the very expensive system that proved to have
vulnerabilities. Still, the mechanical failures he
was presented with should have been no big deal . . .
except that he experienced a real upset in the clouds and
upon recovery he no doubt had a cabin full of excited
passengers. Then while wrestling with the unbelievable
fact that all this $high$ stuff with backups on top
of backups was behaving in unanticipated, unpracticed
ways he needed to revert to an alternate mode of
flying the airplane. It's a situation that is exceedingly
difficult to train for.

I presume that a goodly number of our brothers are
building airplanes they intend to use for point-A
to point-B transportation. On long legged trips the
probability of encountering less than clear weather
is higher . . . and the possibilities for having
company in the cabin goes up. This paints a different
situation than one experiences while under the hood
with a pilot riding shotgun who can SEE what's really
going on. The shape of the airframe/pilot performance
limits envelope is different, variable and many features
cannot be anticipated.

If one EXPECTS to bore holes in clouds and wants the
minimum cost of ownership for a reversion mode of
flight management where the risks are on a par with
flight by stable gyro presentations, then a wing
leveler is THE solution. My personal vision of the
ideal machine for poking around in the fog has dual
wing levelers with a failure monitor system. This
suit of hardware would be expected to do ALL handling
of the ailerons while in IMC. Then I can leave all
the presentations off the panel because they're no
longer needed and the cost of ownership for having
them goes to zero.

Over the lifetime of the airplane where I would
expect to spend less than a few percent of total
flight time in IMC, the dual wing-leveler system
offers exceedingly low $ownership$ and risk compared to
the legacy systems the gray-beards have grown
up with.

That doesn't mean others among us shouldn't embrace
and even enjoy owning and operating a legacy system.
It's a matter of design goals. If one enjoys
stalking game with a bow and arrow and the risk of
going hungry is low or immaterial, great. But if one needs
to provide food for himself and perhaps others . . .
and technology enhanced tools for harvesting game
are available, then the optimum choice is clear.

If a builder is considering N/B/AS referenced flight
as a backup for "safe" flight, then he/she must
be anticipating some willingness (or accidental
probability) for venturing into clouds. So no
matter how good you, I or anyone else is with
the legacy flight instrumentation systems, we are
remiss in our duties as teachers if we do not
explain all of TODAY'S options and assist the readers in
understanding requirements for getting a low risk
return on the cost of ownership.

The low cost installation commits one to a future
investment of $time$ that should be fully explained
while the builder is still in the decision making phase
and before hardware is purchased and holes cut
in the panel. This isn't about anyone else's levels
of skill or personal preferences. It's a study of
return on investment and options for real risk reduction.

Bob . . .

N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

I'll throw another variable into the equation. Under the heading of
"GPS ain't no guarantee neither"...

Yesterday while flying Eastbound under the floor of the rather
complex Class B airspace north of Dallas, my GPS suddenly said "No
Sat", and flopped over on its back. I figured it was just a quick
"blink" and kept flying. It stayed offline. I flew a 360 to see if
it would reaquire on any other satellites, but it didn't. I rebooted
it. I rebooted the PDA it was hooked to. I rebooted the WX Worx
box. I checked the power lights. (All while staying upright and
without busting the Class B).

Since I was trying to get from Dallas to Shreveport, I powered up my
backup Loran and looked up a few VORs while I was at it. Then I used
the Loran to give me the distance from the Addison airport whose
airspace I also needed to stay out of. Finally, I decided I had time
to go land at McKinney and figure out what was wrong with the GPS,
and at that instant, it came back online and stayed that way all the
way to Shreveport and back.

What I neglected to try was powering off my COM radios, since there
are reports that some local oscillator frequencies interfere with GPS
under certain conditions. I didn't have the luxury of powering off
my transponder, since I was deep inside the Mode C circle. But
here's a case where high technology failed and it was a good thing to
have a backup.

Dave Morris
At 10:41 AM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

<nuckollsr(at)cox.net>

At 09:20 AM 3/4/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Good Morning 'Lectric Bob,
>
>Thank you for the very complete analysis of my position on the
>validity of using a T&B and venturi as a low cost back up to
>whatever else is deemed desirable in a flying machine.
>
>I have been reading your freely presented views since the days when
>the connection was from Down By The Riverside Press. (or, something
>close to that)
>
>Always a pleasure and your writings are always able to jiggle some
>thought out of my very uneducated brain.
>
>Nevertheless, I do think my responses have some merit.
>
>The original question that started this particular string had to do
>with providing a low cost source of vacuum.
>
>The Venturi is a low cost option.

No argument.

>
>It is susceptible to icing, but when placed in a warm airstream
>behind the engine it has been shown to handle ice quite well.
>Vacuum pumps do fail. Especially the modern dry pumps if they are
>not replaced or serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.
>
>I still think the venturi is a viable option.

Also no argument.

>
>I recognize that you cannot take the time to read everything on
>this list. However, I think you would find that I have always said
>that I will happily embrace a newer technology whenever it fits my
>needs (and my price point!). There is nothing I would like better
>than having a solid state autopilot that would be reliable enough
>such that I did not have to know how to fly by instruments to be
>able to operate in cloud.
>
>If I were to be dropped in the wilderness with nothing to sustain
>me, I would surely die. Many of my ancestors would have been able
>to survive in those same conditions.
>
>Having accepted modern conveniences to keep me alive, I think I
>would be able to accept fully automatic flight sometime in the future.
>
>Just not yet.

Which IS your preference . . .

>
>I recognize that I am old and am happy with current knowledge. It
>does allow me to feel comfortable flying a lot of those flying
>machines that are "rotting away".
>
>If the new breed of aviators is comfortable flying without the
>ability to control their flying machine while in cloud, that is fine with me.
>
>The venturi powered T&B in my Stearman is very comforting.
>
>You infer that flying a partial panel is difficult. I contend that
>it is NOT particularly difficult, IF adequate training has been received.

"IF" is the operative word here . . .

>
>There is no doubt that the skill is being lost. Most larger
>airliners lost their T&Bs almost forty years ago. To my knowledge,
>none ever had a turn coordinator.
>
>Chances are that many of the more modern airline pilots would have
>a problem flying with the basic needle ball and airspeed.
>
>I contend that the skill is relatively easy to attain ... IF the
>skill is desired!
>
>You very correctly stated that a skill not exercised tends to be
>lost. One of the reasons I like the T&B over the TC is because I
>find it relatively easy to integrate into my basic scan. I do so by
>using the T&B to check my rate of turn even though basic attitude
>reference is being obtained from an artificial horizon. This day
>and age, rate of turn is not regularly considered, but by keeping
>the rate of turn in mind, I force myself to include the T&B in my
>normal scan which makes it much easier for me to use should a failure occur.
>
>You make reference to my background as a professional pilot.
>
>I agree that I have had an opportunity that not every pilot has,
>needs, or wants. However, I have also been a flight instructor for
>fifty-eight years and in those fifty-eight years have trained many
>an instrument pilot. Not all of them have retained their partial
>panel skills, but many have!
>
>I do not contend that my way is the only way, just that it is a useful way.
>
>I see that I have wandered all over the landscape where the
>original intent was to suggest a low cost source of vacuum to
>someone who was looking for such a source.
>
>Once again, my lack of education has done me in, --- but I am having fun!

That's what it's all about. Fun and risk reduction.
You've offered nothing that's arguable. Nor have I.
You've encouraged new builders to take advantage of
a system that has a exceedingly low initial cost and
if they're willing to do the investment of $time$ for
training and sustaining the skill, it's one option.

My approach is that of a systems integrator where
the pilot is a close second place behind the airframe
in the study of need for reliability in flight system
components.

I have observed first-hand how a pilot who took all the
courses, spent a lot of time in his airplane, and outfitted
it with everything you and I both would recommend . . .
except a stand alone wing-leveler that would back up
the very expensive system that proved to have
vulnerabilities. Still, the mechanical failures he
was presented with should have been no big deal . . .
except that he experienced a real upset in the clouds and
upon recovery he no doubt had a cabin full of excited
passengers. Then while wrestling with the unbelievable
fact that all this $high$ stuff with backups on top
of backups was behaving in unanticipated, unpracticed
ways he needed to revert to an alternate mode of
flying the airplane. It's a situation that is exceedingly
difficult to train for.

I presume that a goodly number of our brothers are
building airplanes they intend to use for point-A
to point-B transportation. On long legged trips the
probability of encountering less than clear weather
is higher . . . and the possibilities for having
company in the cabin goes up. This paints a different
situation than one experiences while under the hood
with a pilot riding shotgun who can SEE what's really
going on. The shape of the airframe/pilot performance
limits envelope is different, variable and many features
cannot be anticipated.

If one EXPECTS to bore holes in clouds and wants the
minimum cost of ownership for a reversion mode of
flight management where the risks are on a par with
flight by stable gyro presentations, then a wing
leveler is THE solution. My personal vision of the
ideal machine for poking around in the fog has dual
wing levelers with a failure monitor system. This
suit of hardware would be expected to do ALL handling
of the ailerons while in IMC. Then I can leave all
the presentations off the panel because they're no
longer needed and the cost of ownership for having
them goes to zero.

Over the lifetime of the airplane where I would
expect to spend less than a few percent of total
flight time in IMC, the dual wing-leveler system
offers exceedingly low $ownership$ and risk compared to
the legacy systems the gray-beards have grown
up with.

That doesn't mean others among us shouldn't embrace
and even enjoy owning and operating a legacy system.
It's a matter of design goals. If one enjoys
stalking game with a bow and arrow and the risk of
going hungry is low or immaterial, great. But if one needs
to provide food for himself and perhaps others . . .
and technology enhanced tools for harvesting game
are available, then the optimum choice is clear.

If a builder is considering N/B/AS referenced flight
as a backup for "safe" flight, then he/she must
be anticipating some willingness (or accidental
probability) for venturing into clouds. So no
matter how good you, I or anyone else is with
the legacy flight instrumentation systems, we are
remiss in our duties as teachers if we do not
explain all of TODAY'S options and assist the readers in
understanding requirements for getting a low risk
return on the cost of ownership.

The low cost installation commits one to a future
investment of $time$ that should be fully explained
while the builder is still in the decision making phase
and before hardware is purchased and holes cut
in the panel. This isn't about anyone else's levels
of skill or personal preferences. It's a study of
return on investment and options for real risk reduction.

Bob . . .

Bill Denton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Probably not relevant to this specific problem, but worth noting...

In the installation manuals for Garmin's 400W and 500W series units, it
states the following:

"Ground-based cell phones that are on, even in a monitoring state, can
disrupt GPS performance."

I know there have been all sorts of nebulous warnings floating around from
time to time, but this is the first specific one I've seen.

Hope it's useful to some of you guys...
--

N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

That's a very interesting point, because it was the one time I've
flown in the past 5 months where I accidentally left my cellphone
turned on in my coat pocket all the way in the baggage compartment
and couldn't reach it, so I just left it alone. Hmmmmmmmm

Dave Morirs

At 03:12 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
[quote]

Probably not relevant to this specific problem, but worth noting...

In the installation manuals for Garmin's 400W and 500W series units, it
states the following:

"Ground-based cell phones that are on, even in a monitoring state, can
disrupt GPS performance."

I know there have been all sorts of nebulous warnings floating around from
time to time, but this is the first specific one I've seen.

Hope it's useful to some of you guys...
--

bobf(at)feldtman.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Backup Electric Vacuum Pump Reply with quote

Remember - the feds can turn off the GPS system with any perceived
threat - so I'd be careful about pure IMC in an A/C where GPS is only
source of data. I noted it was "down" during the Super bowl.

bobf
Dave N6030X wrote:
[quote]
<N6030X(at)DaveMorris.com>

That's a very interesting point, because it was the one time I've
flown in the past 5 months where I accidentally left my cellphone
turned on in my coat pocket all the way in the baggage compartment and
couldn't reach it, so I just left it alone. Hmmmmmmmm

Dave Morirs

At 03:12 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
>
> <bdenton(at)bdenton.com>
>
> Probably not relevant to this specific problem, but worth noting...
>
> In the installation manuals for Garmin's 400W and 500W series units, it
> states the following:
>
> "Ground-based cell phones that are on, even in a monitoring state, can
> disrupt GPS performance."
>
> I know there have been all sorts of nebulous warnings floating around
> from
> time to time, but this is the first specific one I've seen.
>
> Hope it's useful to some of you guys...
> --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: