Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas Reply with quote

Anybody with an RV-8 install the Bob Archer type com or vor antennas in their wingtips? How have they performed ? How difficult were they to install ? Did you buy or make your own ? I remember an article several years ago (maybe in Kitplanes?) on how to make these antennas. Anybody have that article ? Hope to hear from you and best regards, Bill of Georgia RV-8a wings

--

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
BERFlyer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas Reply with quote

Bill,

I installed an Archer wing tip comm antenna in my RV-8 for Comm 2. I have a bent whip on the belly for Comm 1. I bought the antenna from Bob Archer directly as a finished unit. You should install the antenna with as much vertical orientation as possible given the limitations of the wing tip shape. Several small pieces of foam block were used to support the antenna where it angled up. I also attached three separate wires from the base of the antenna to the wing end rib for a good ground.

The antenna overall works well, but does seem to suffer a bit depending on the position of the aircraft to the other station. But overall still acceptable. I use it mostly to monitor a second Comm Freq or pull in an AWOS while I'm talking to ATC or the local unicom.

Bruce Raymond
N488RV 250 hours
Annapolis, MD [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas Reply with quote

Bruce, thanks for the info, Bill

--

martin(at)gbonline.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas Reply with quote

Listers,
8 years ago when I finished my RV8, I used all of bob archer antennae. They all work perfectly with 1400 hours in service with the exception of the VHF Trans/receive antenna. In the wings I could only transmit and receive approximately 10 to 15 miles and only in certain directions. I finally gave up the idea of a concealed xmit antenna and installed a Dorne and Margollin bent whip on the belly. It works perfect to this day. I can transmit and receive with clarity up to 100 miles.

Dick Martin
R V8 N233M
the fast one
[quote] ---

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: RV8-List Digest: Wingtip Antennas Reply with quote

Dick, thanks for the info on antennae. I'm neck deep in pro seal on the second wing tank and trying to think ahead. I really don't mind the sticky mess, but the smell is haunting. Best regards, Bill

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: