Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longeron Bending

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BPETERS2(at)bak.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Hi all,
I’m about to try and bend the F718 longerons for my RV9A and I am terrified at the prospect. Other than the fuel tanks this is what has kept me awake at night thinking about it. I did an archive search and saw a couple ideas but was wondering if there was anymore wisdom out there I can lean on. Pictures would be really appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Bruce Peters
RV9A Fuselage
Bakersfield, CA
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
chenoweth(at)gwi.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Bruce,
I found the technique described in the Orndorff video to be a good one and used it. I particularly liked the idea of clamping the two together to get the bends equal. I have no metalwork background and had my share of problems but none turned out to be insurmountable. I will caution you that I found that the "template" Van's provided for the bend curve was not accurate in length. Since I didn't expect that I had made no effort to confirm that the length of the bend as provided by the dimensions was the same as the length of the template. Mine was off by 3/4". You might be able to imagine the distress around here till I figured out that the problem was the template and not something I'd done wrong. My 7A neighbor suggested using the 721B as a bend guide and that worked fine. That by, the way, is the technique described in the video and also in the instructions for the RV7s.

Your next excitement will most likely be bending the side skin. I wouldn't use the Orndorff technique for this. I did some experimenting with it and found that, for me, there was no obvious way to go back and adjust the curve once you start. I used the Van's technique with great success.

Bill - RV9
Albion, Maine
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mike(at)learningplanet.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,
Yes, bending the longerons is a time-consuming and somewhat tedious project, but once you're done, you're done. Just use the template and the canopy deck as guides and go slowly. It's not that difficult.

http://www.my9a.com/fuse5.asp#092204

Regards,
Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - 120 hours - www.my9a.com
RV-10 - #40576 - Wings

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:51 AM, Bruce Peters wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,
I’m about to try and bend the F718 longerons for my RV9A and I am terrified at the prospect.  Other than the fuel tanks this is what has kept me awake at night thinking about it.  I did an archive search and saw a couple ideas but was wondering if there was anymore wisdom out there I can lean on.  Pictures would be really appreciated as well.  Thanks in advance.

Bruce Peters
RV9A Fuselage
Bakersfield, CA

[quote][b]

BPETERS2(at)bak.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the tip on the video and will order that. I had noticed the measurements on the drawing were not accurate and just assumed that they were “not to scale” but that the general curve was accurate. However, I’m glad to know that I wasn’t just seeing things. There have been a couple other areas in the drawings so far that just seemed a little off but mostly I have been able to figure it out. On bending the side skin I hadn’t read far enough ahead to realize it was going to be a challenge. I was hoping maybe it was going to assume the shape of the longerons without much fuss. Well, more to lay awake at night about!!! Again, thanks for the help.

Bruce

--

BPETERS2(at)bak.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the advice and link to your site. That helps a lot. I realized after looking at your pictures I forgot to put the radius in the end of the longeron when I trimmed out the piece. Do you think that’s much an issue? Or should I shorten up the longeron just a bit to accommodate a radius? Again, thanks for the help.

Bruce

--

mike(at)learningplanet.co

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Bruce,

The radius is there to avoid stress cracks that form at sharp points. The radius doesn't need to be much: a 1/16" radius should be plenty. The aft end of the longeron has that notch in it just so it can fit around the bulkhead. Don't shorten your longeron, just extend your notch a little bit. Just enough to add a radius in the corner.

Mike

On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Bruce Peters wrote:
Quote:

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the advice and link to your site.  That helps a lot.  I realized after looking at your pictures I forgot to put the radius in the end of the longeron when I trimmed out the piece.  Do you think that’s much an issue?  Or should I shorten up the longeron just a bit to accommodate a radius?  Again, thanks for the help. 

Bruce

BPETERS2(at)bak.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Longeron Bending Reply with quote

Mike, thanks, I’ll do that.

Bruce

Do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: