Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-9A Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew(at)n523rv.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

Gang....
I'm getting close to finishing so I fired off an application to NationAir for a
quote request. I have 106 hours TT, 5 hours of tailwheel, 5 hours/endorsement
for complex. I also have an RV-9A endorsement from Sam Benjamin. I'm getting
transition training right now in an RV-6A. I listed my wife on the quote who
only has 70 hours and no RV time. I intend(ed) to do the Phase 1 testing
myself.
AIG declined to give me a quote! They didn't want me flying the test hours due
to my low TT. If I had someone fly off my time, the 'indication' was $2800!
To be honest, I was floored. I had not anticipated getting insurance to be a
problem at all.. and now I'm faced with a pretty large premium IF I have a test
pilot fly my time. (Indication was the first 5-10 hours.)
I'm curious what my fellow RV-9 flyers have experienced. What sort of premiums
are you paying based on Total Time? Did you fly off your hours?
(Reply off list if you desire.)
Frustrated...
Matthew
RV-9A #90569
www.n523rv.com

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
dthomas773(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

Hi Mathew,
Wow! $2800 seems like a lot! I had about 480 total
time, about 200 T/W and a RV9 checkout with Mike
Saeger. This was 2 years ago but I paid $1600 and
that was with $75k hull coverage. Last year it went
up to over $1800. I did my own test flight and flew
off the hours. This is with Nation Air.
Dennis Thomas
RV9 N164DV 240 hours
--- Matthew Brandes <matthew(at)n523rv.com> wrote:
<matthew(at)n523rv.com>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rpping(at)qwest.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

Call EAA and go through them. I'm sure you'll get coverage at a decent
rate. It's well worth the cost of joining if you haven't already.
Roger Ping
RV-9 90869
58 hours

rv9flyer(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

Last year at Oshkosh, I checked on a quote from Falcon which is the company that EAA is going through. I have about 250 hrs private, instrument sel, with about 25hrs complex time. I know insurance has gone up slightly since then, but I was quoted 1100.00 to 1500.00 with no mention of needing another test pilot. As memory serves me, the insurance was quoted with use of a technical counselor, as well as use of the EAA flight counseler programs. They also provide builder's insurance as your homeowners insurance does not cover aircraft, and the quoted premium was 10% of total value of what you currently have purchased. I am not flying yet, so I did not purchase a policy. I cannot quote you an exact price after the policy arrived so that would be a rough quote at best. Remember too that it is rather foolish, but if the aircraft is paid for, you will not necessarily have to have insurance to fly. Good luck

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: RV-9A Insurance Reply with quote

My recently issued policy from EAA/Falcon may provide a reference. RV9 (one of about a dozen), $65000 hull value; 700 tail wheel, 725 total time.
3 hours dual instruction in type (RV6, RV7 or RV9). Mike Seagar had me well prepared for the first flight.
Premium $1690.
The RV 9 is a smooth flying airplane. I experienced a slightly heavy wing on the first flight which I was able to trim out until landing for final adjustments. 1 turn in on the opposite flap push rod (1/20") has it flying straight. Level is another thing, at its speed it is real easy to gain or loose 200' while you are watching something else.
You can see the finished product at the completions link of Vans web page.
John Kerr
N927BJ
-------------- Original message --------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: