Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multiple engine leads from one source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimRhod(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: multiple engine leads from one source Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can pull multiple leads off of CHT probes, EGT probes, and Oil Temp to feed two different engine analysis systems. I have a Vision Micro system VM1000 and now a new Grand Rapids EIS. I would Like to use both as back up but would also like not to have to install duplicate CHT, EGT, oil temp Probes. Thanks Tim
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckollsr(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: multiple engine leads from one source Reply with quote

At 05:05 PM 11/25/2006 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can pull multiple leads off of CHT probes, EGT
probes, and Oil Temp to feed two different engine analysis systems. I
have a Vision Micro system VM1000 and now a new Grand Rapids EIS. I
would Like to use both as back up but would also like not to have to
install duplicate CHT, EGT, oil temp Probes. Thanks Tim

You can . . . IF.

It's dependent upon the signal conditioning circuitry in
the two instruments. Some systems will tolerate paralleling
as you've suggested but without seeing schematics of the
two systems and/or talking with the designers, it's not
possible to make a recommendation.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: multiple engine leads from one source Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

With some probes yes, and others no. The most likely answer to your question is no. I'm a bit confused to begin with why you have 2 engine monitors (both have quite a good history of reliability) with GRT having literally THOUSANDS of those units flying with little to know problems that I've known about. Splicing CHT's & EGT's could be a slippery slope...there are many different kinds of wire & probes between mfgrs (such as shielded/unshielded, grounded/ungrounded, solid/stranded, etc..). All are setup to read certain specifics. Paralleling onto them could cause lots of problems. Some transducers however allow you to split their signals. It's much easier on powered/excited probes than plain old resistive ones. In basic resistive probes if you "tack on" other things it can significantly vary the readings...

Hope that helps. In the end I'd just say stay away from that and decide which engine monitor to use. Two of them is frankly a bit of overkill in my opinion. If the fan is turning you're most likely ok Smile Duplicate CHT's & EGT's don't buy you much - you can't possibly watch all of each systems indications all the time anyway. If they don't match, now you have to try and decide which one is the "master" or is "right". If you're doing this when you have a problem then you're not flying the plane.

Anyway, enough of my bantering. I get this question asked with surprising regularity and I still can't figure it out! Sorry for being sarcastic, that's not my intent. I'm just trying to point out that with added complexity comes reduced reliability and little gain in form or in function.

Cheers,
Stein.
[quote] --

TimRhod(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: multiple engine leads from one source Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Tim
[quote][b]

ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: multiple engine leads from one source Reply with quote

You know the old saying: never use just 2 watches...

David M.
Stein Bruch wrote:

[quote] Hi Tim,

With some probes yes, and others no. The most likely answer to your
question is no. I'm a bit confused to begin with why you have 2
engine monitors (both have quite a good history of reliability) with
GRT having literally THOUSANDS of those units flying with little to
know problems that I've known about. Splicing CHT's & EGT's could be
a slippery slope...there are many different kinds of wire & probes
between mfgrs (such as shielded/unshielded, grounded/ungrounded,
solid/stranded, etc..). All are setup to read certain specifics.
Paralleling onto them could cause lots of problems. Some transducers
however allow you to split their signals. It's much easier on
powered/excited probes than plain old resistive ones. In basic
resistive probes if you "tack on" other things it can significantly
vary the readings...

Hope that helps. In the end I'd just say stay away from that and
decide which engine monitor to use. Two of them is frankly a bit of
overkill in my opinion. If the fan is turning you're most likely ok
Smile Duplicate CHT's & EGT's don't buy you much - you can't possibly
watch all of each systems indications all the time anyway. If they
don't match, now you have to try and decide which one is the "master"
or is "right". If you're doing this when you have a problem then
you're not flying the plane.

Anyway, enough of my bantering. I get this question asked with
surprising regularity and I still can't figure it out! Sorry for
being sarcastic, that's not my intent. I'm just trying to point out
that with added complexity comes reduced reliability and little gain
in form or in function.

Cheers,
Stein.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: