Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONKEYVET(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

After much gut wretching and lost sleep I finally made a decision about my last major purchase and decided to go with the Hartzel blended airfoil 2 blade propeller for my soon to be finished RV-8.

Now I'm faced with one last (albeit minor) decision between the 72" and 74" props. Any thoughts? The guys at Vans considered it literally a "flip a coin" decision with little decernable difference between the two. Any other thoughts out there? Noise, ground clearance (probably no biggie with a tail dragger), ability to grind off tip of the longer one if damaged. I will be greatfull for any opinions. Thanks!

Dennis Flosi, N963DF El Paso, TX

P.S. Are you happy with your Hartzell blended airfoil prop?

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
BERFlyer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

Dennis,

I went with the 74" prop. Supposedly, a bit better performance. Length is not a problem on the -8.

Bruce Raymond
RV-8
N488RV [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

december29(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

Gents,
Finally, a thread that doesn't involve "gapping" insults. As we all have to admit, size does matter. And to follow Bruce's comment, luckily, length is not a problem for guys that fly the -8. It ain't no FlyBaby, ha ha.
Didn't want to comment................just felt I had to.

Later,

John

do not archive- my mom might find out I write stuff like this. ha, ha
[quote] ---

Tailgummer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

You may also wish to consider which Hartzell prop you would prefer to have IF you were to either start off with electronic ignition...... or add it later. There are EI/harmonic issues that have been identified and evaluated by Hartzell (and others) which have resulted in rpm/power restrictions and/or blade life limitations. No big deal, but something else to be aware of.
          John D. RV8 N585JD
[quote][b]

rv8striker(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

I went with the 74" Blended Airfoil. I have been very happy with it. I would not worry about ground clearance, if you get the tail up that high you have more to worry about than a ground strike of the prop. The blended airfoil has a unique profile and slightly curved tips that, in my opinion, look cool. Performance has been everything I expected.

Steve Struyk
RV-8, 75 Hrs
St. Charles MO
Getting ready for first annual condition inspection
[quote] ---

martin(at)gbonline.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Does Size Matter (for Hartzell Propellers that is....) ? Reply with quote

Dennis.
800 hours ago, I had the opportunity to test several different props on my RV8 (IO=390). I tested and still have a std hartzell constant speed (at) 76". It gave superior climb and standard cruise performance.
I then was offered the opportunity by Aero Composites Inc.. to conduct an exhaustive set of tests on their propellers. The tests were conducted on the following dimensions, 76", 74" 72", 70", & 68". All lengths performed well, however here are some observations:
76" superior climb - ok cruise
74" excellent climb = excellent cruise
72" good climb - excellent cruise
70" ok climb - good cruise
68 " ok climb - goodf cruise

The Aero Composites propellers are on average 10 to 16 lbs lighter than the Hartzell (std model) and 10 to 15mph faster than the Hartzell (I did not test the new Hartzell blended airfoil, as it was not available at the time of testing}
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: