Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

parachute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm34077(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdown clock of 10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I checked the initial cost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The initial cost is 16K and a required exchange is $6-8K but that was their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration. Another consideration is that aircraft is totaled after the lever is pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was already toast when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is safely within the flight envelope for a successful save.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

It may be more cost effective to buy 4 personal parachutes and then make
everyone wear them
for every flight. Wink
Tim
On 2/13/2024 12:13 PM, dlm wrote:
Quote:
Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar
to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he
recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes
about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During
that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The
entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdown clock of
10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I
checked the initial cost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The
initial cost is 16K and a required exchange is $6-8K but that was
their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration.
Another consideration is that aircraft is totaled after the lever is
pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was already toast
when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is
safely within the flight envelope for a successful save.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Vol88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic, and one that I expect will get more coverage as RV-10s continue to compete with SR22s.

I’m building an RV-10 and currently fly a Cirrus SR20, as well as three spam cans, in a flying club. I appreciate having the chute available in the Cirrus when I’m carrying non-pilot passengers.

I’m not one to get into the parachute wars, but I would love to have a chute in my RV-10. I decided against it due to the weight and space tradeoff, as well as the exterior straps. I’m not flying yet, but if my intended mission turns out to be just two people and a dog, I may retrofit it.

I understand that some proportion of Cirruses have been returned to service after deploying the chute. We have to get our ten-year repack this fall and I understand that the quote is far less than our reserve fund – something under $15K. The cost depends on the year and the firing mechanism. Some mechanisms need to be upgraded; some years require more substantial bodywork after replacement.

The V-speed for our Cirrus chute deployment is 130 knots, but there have been successful saves at considerably higher speeds than that. From the COPA website: “Four CAPS deployments occurred successfully at higher speeds, 168, 171, 187, and 190 knots indicated airspeed, and one deployment failed at an airspeed estimated at over 300 knots airspeed.”

Tom

From: <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com>
Reply-To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:22
To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RV10-List: parachute

Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdownclock of 10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I checked the initialcost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The initial cost is 16K and a required exchangeis $6-8K but that was their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration. Another consideration is that aircraft istotaled after the lever is pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was alreadytoast when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is safely within the flight envelopefor a successful save.

m.r.92129(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

I am installing a parachute in my RV-10. Details are on the RV-10 Wiki. The BRS kit manual is incomplete and several of the instructions dimply don’t work for the RV-10 (given bracket position are not possible due to interference with stiffeners, holes collide with ribs, bolts go into nothing), so small modifications are needed basically at every step. Should be easier now with the hints.
/Martin
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, at 7:52 AM, Thomas Mason <tom(at)twmason.com (tom(at)twmason.com)> wrote:
This is an interesting topic, and one that I expect will get more coverage as RV-10s continue to compete with SR22s.

I’m building an RV-10 and currently fly a Cirrus SR20, as well as three spam cans, in a flying club. I appreciate having the chute available in the Cirrus when I’m carrying non-pilot passengers.

I’m not one to get into the parachute wars, but I would love to have a chute in my RV-10. I decided against it due to the weight and space tradeoff, as well as the exterior straps. I’m not flying yet, but if my intended mission turns out to be just two people and a dog, I may retrofit it.

I understand that some proportion of Cirruses have been returned to service after deploying the chute. We have to get our ten-year repack this fall and I understand that the quote is far less than our reserve fund – something under $15K. The cost depends on the year and the firing mechanism. Some mechanisms need to be upgraded; some years require more substantial bodywork after replacement.

The V-speed for our Cirrus chute deployment is 130 knots, but there have been successful saves at considerably higher speeds than that. From the COPA website: “Four CAPS deployments occurred successfully at higher speeds, 168, 171, 187, and 190 knots indicated airspeed, and one deployment failed at an airspeed estimated at over 300 knots airspeed.”

Tom

From: <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)>Reply-To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:22To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>Subject: parachute

Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdown clock of 10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I checked the initial cost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The initial cost is 16K and a required exchange is $6-8K but that was their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration. Another consideration is that aircraft is totaled after the lever is pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was already toast when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is safely within the flight envelope for a successful save.

digidocs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
This is great information, thank you for taking the time to post it.  It sounds like there are a number of "small" issues with the installation--what would you say is your overall impression of BRS from a support, engineering, and product quality perspective?
David

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 10:31 AM Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com (m.r.92129(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I am installing a parachute in my RV-10. Details are on the RV-10 Wiki. The BRS kit manual is incomplete and several of the instructions dimply don’t work for the RV-10 (given bracket position are not possible due to interference with stiffeners, holes collide with ribs, bolts go into nothing), so small modifications are needed basically at every step. Should be easier now with the hints.

/Martin
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, at 7:52 AM, Thomas Mason <tom(at)twmason.com (tom(at)twmason.com)> wrote:

Tom

From: <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)>
Reply-To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:22
To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: parachute

Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdown clock of 10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I checked the initial cost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The initial cost is 16K and a required exchange is $6-8K but that was their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration. Another consideration is that aircraft is totaled after the lever is pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was already toast when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is safely within the flight envelope for a successful save.

m.r.92129(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: parachute Reply with quote

Hi David,
I spoke to them at Oshkosh and they were very interested in the feedback. I pointed them to the Wiki that others and I contribute to,

https://rv10.org/index.php?title=Parachute
https://rv10.org/index.php?title=BRS_Installation_Hints/

but haven’t heard anything back other than them asking if I wanted to be an aftermarket installer for BRS, haha.

One thing I mentioned for example was that all bolts are fully threaded meaning you have shear load on the thread in the holes. Kind of unusual in aviation. You wonder what kind of team put this kit together.

/Martin

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, at 10:25 AM, David Carr <junk(at)dcarr.org (junk(at)dcarr.org)> wrote:
Hi Martin,

This is great information, thank you for taking the time to post it. It sounds like there are a number of "small" issues with the installation--what would you say is your overall impression of BRS from a support, engineering, and product quality perspective?

David

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 10:31 AM Martin Renschler <m.r.92129(at)gmail.com (m.r.92129(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
/Martin
Quote:

Tom

From: <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of dlm <dlm34077(at)gmail.com (dlm34077(at)gmail.com)>Reply-To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 12:22To: "rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>Subject: parachute

Just a tiny bit for those RV10 pilots considering a parachute similar to the Cirrus. I talked to a member of our EAA chapter, and he recently had his parachute recertified. First, the parachute takes about two weeks to replace and recertify the Cirrus for flight. During that time the aircraft is grounded. I asked about the cost. The entirely new parachute and rocket motor starts the countdown clock of 10 years when it is manufactured. The cost was $22K and change. I checked the initial cost and recurring cost for the RV10 version. The initial cost is 16K and a required exchange is $6-8K but that was their guess since no current product is anywhere near expiration. Another consideration is that aircraft is totaled after the lever is pulled; of course one would assume that the airframe was already toast when the handle is pulled. This also assumes that the aircraft is safely within the flight envelope for a successful save.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: