Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One for the battery gurus: recovery from deep discharge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: One for the battery gurus: recovery from deep discharge Reply with quote

I have an SBS-J16 battery in an aircraft in which the battery master was left on for two weeks (I know).

When found, the open circuit terminal voltage had dropped to 2.2 volts. A Dewalt sophisticated battery charger didn’t want to have anything to do with it, so I’ve now put it on charge with my bench power supply at 14.4V limited to 4 amps.

Initially the battery resistance was very high, and increasing - the voltage was limited at 14.4V and the current dropped from 1.3 amps, to about 1.1 amps, within a couple of minutes, and then started to ramp up, about 1mA per second. After being on charge for an hour or so, the current it is accepting has risen so the current limiting has kicked in, presently at 4 amps and the terminal voltage has dropped to 14.3 V.

I”m curious why the resistance was so high to start with, why it has now dropped (to what seems ’normal’ charging behaviour to me) and also to know if this battery has a chance of resurrection,. It’s only a couple of years old, so if it will soldier on after its mistreatment, I would be happy. What are my chances, do you think?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
bob.verwey(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: One for the battery gurus: recovery from deep discharge Reply with quote

In my case I had a newish deep cycle  12v100a/h battery in an inverter drop to 3.6v...dont ask...

Anyway...the Victron charger didnt see the battery...put a 24v CTEK intelligent charger on it got it to 15v in about 30min. Changed over to the 7amp Victron 12v smart charger...
I had just about given up after about 5 days when suddenly the charge light went green!
Its been about a month and the battery seems fine. Maybe a bit of luck?
On Sat, 03 Feb 2024, 18:03 Alec Myers, <alec(at)alecmyers.com (alec(at)alecmyers.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Here’s how it turned out: 12 hours on a bench PSU at 14.4v, then 12 hours rest, then I attached a different “smart” charger that showed the battery as discharged, but did proceed to engage the charging cycle. 24 hours after that, the charger was showing the battery at 100% charge and it had enough juice to start the engine, and I flew for about an hour.
Hopefully it will maintain enough energy to power a start cycle again, some time next week.
Thanks for the comments, Bob!

On Jan 31, 2024, at 22:31, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

At 04:09 PM 1/30/2024, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com (alec(at)alecmyers.com)>

I have an SBS-J16 battery in an aircraft in which the battery master was left on for two weeks (I know).

When found, the open circuit terminal voltage had dropped to 2.2 volts. A Dewalt sophisticated battery charger didn’t want to have anything to do with it,

Yeah . . . many smart chargers do a pre-assessment of the target
  battery and will not take on the task unless the terminal voltage
  is above some minimum level . . . I have a couple chargers that
  do this.

A temporary parallel connection of the smart-charger and some
  other voltage source, like another battery will often convince
  the charger that it's time to go to work.

Now, recall the days long before RG/GlasMat batteries.
  The 'wet' stuff inside was (and still is) a dilute mixture
  of water and sulfuric acid. Pure water is a very poor
  conductor of electrons . . . but adding some
  combination of free ions like salt, sodium bicarbonate,
  or sulfuric acid to the water and it becomes a ready
  conductor of current.

Recall that we could test the relative state of
  charge for a lead-acid battery by measuring the
  electrolyte's DENSITY with a hydrometer. The
  legacy float/in/glass hydrometer is generally
  calibrated in density vs. state of charge
  where electrolyte 12% greater than 1.000
  (pure water) is zero-percent; 26% is full
  charge.

Note in attached figure (shamelessly stollen
  off BatteryUniversity.com), 0% state of charge
  on a 12 volt produces an open circuit reading
  on the order of 11.9 volts.

You cited an open circuit voltage of 2.2 volts . . .
  Hmmmm . . . less than 0% state of charge?
  Actually, yes. Active material in the plates
  had sucked still more acid from the electrolyte
  than what would produce any useful energy
  from the chemistry.

The closer to pure water . . . the more depressed
  conductivity. Hence, first attempts to push energy
  back into the battery will be met with lots of
  resistance . . . no pun intended.

I recall reading a qualification test on
  a Concorde battery document where a fully
  discharged battery is dead-shorted for a
  period of time after which a recharge
  protocol calls for applying a higher than
  normal voltage until significant recharge
  current is observed. The test proceeds with
  a normal constant voltage/constant current
  charge. After top-off, the battery is cap-checked
  and must demonstrate some minimum.

I dug around in the library but could not
  come up with that document so I cannot quote
  exact times and values. But note that this
  is a quality test for a new battery. While
  a certain level of degradation is expected,
  the battery is EXPECTED to recover by some
  minimum amount required for return to
  service.

Quote:
 so I’ve now put it on charge with my bench power supply at 14.4V limited to 4 amps. Initially the battery resistance was very high, and increasing - the voltage was limited at 14.4V and the current dropped from 1.3 amps, to about 1.1 amps, within a couple of minutes, and then started to ramp up, about 1mA per second. After being on charge for an hour or so, the current it is accepting has risen so the current limiting has kicked in, presently at 4 amps and the terminal voltage has dropped to 14.3 V.

Yup, this is expected and you may well
  recover this battery to some level for
  continued service. After a 24-hour float
  at 14.4, let it see idle for 24-hours
  then do a cap check followed by recharge
  and a load test.

Quote:
I†m curious why the resistance was so high to start with, why it has now dropped (to what seems ’normal’ charging behaviour to me) and also to know if this battery has a chance of resurrection,. It’s only a couple of years old, so if it will soldier on after its mistreatment, I would be happy. What are my chances, do you think?

As Lord Kelvin oft admonished, if you
  don't know the numbers, what you DO know
  is of limited value.

Bob . . .

////
                  (o o)
   ===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
   < Go ahead, make my day . . .   >
   < show me where I'm wrong.      >
   =================================

In the interest of creative evolution
   of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
   on physics and good practice.

<Gravity vs StateOfCharge.jpg>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: