Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rowland_Carson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query Reply with quote

I’ve just cut out the hatch covers from the larger pieces that Neville supplied with the cowl, and have made the holes in the access recesses with 10mm flanges all round. The hatches fettled easily to beautiful fits, but now I have a problem.

The recess for the hinge, in both locations, is only 2mm below the level of the hatch cover - but the MS20001-3 hinge needs about 5mm depth. I think I need to cut off each recessed hinge plate that Neville provided and replace it with a new layup that is more deeply recessed.

Or maybe remove that recess completely and attach the fixed leaf of the hinge to the undersurface of the cowl? If the hinge was fitted knuckle up the would have to be exposed. If it was knuckle down, I don’t think it would open far enough to be practical.

I’m not sure about the fasteners. I would counter sink the rivets into the fixed leaf of the hinge, leaving the set ends inside the cowl. Obviously the rivets in the top leaf will need to be countersunk into the hatch cover but I wonder if there will be room for the set ends of the pop-rivets between the leaves of the hinge.

Questions:

(1) Is there something really obvious that I have missed about fitting the hinges?

(2) I propose 3 layers of BID for the new deeper-recessed hinge plate, overlapping onto the body of the cowl by at least 50mm in 3 directions.

(3) Is there any merit in the alternative of fixing the fixed hinge leaf to the inner surface of the cowl?

(4) Any comments about rivets?

All contributions gratefully received.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
alan.twigg775(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query Reply with quote

Rowland, I will send pictures and investigate, it was nowhere near as complicated as you say. And as you say the fit was really nice.
Alan.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 7 Jul 2023, at 23:57, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I’ve just cut out the hatch covers from the larger pieces that Neville supplied with the cowl, and have made the holes in the access recesses with 10mm flanges all round. The hatches fettled easily to beautiful fits, but now I have a problem.

The recess for the hinge, in both locations, is only 2mm below the level of the hatch cover - but the MS20001-3 hinge needs about 5mm depth. I think I need to cut off each recessed hinge plate that Neville provided and replace it with a new layup that is more deeply recessed.

Or maybe remove that recess completely and attach the fixed leaf of the hinge to the undersurface of the cowl? If the hinge was fitted knuckle up the would have to be exposed. If it was knuckle down, I don’t think it would open far enough to be practical.

I’m not sure about the fasteners. I would counter sink the rivets into the fixed leaf of the hinge, leaving the set ends inside the cowl. Obviously the rivets in the top leaf will need to be countersunk into the hatch cover but I wonder if there will be room for the set ends of the pop-rivets between the leaves of the hinge.

Questions:

(1) Is there something really obvious that I have missed about fitting the hinges?

(2) I propose 3 layers of BID for the new deeper-recessed hinge plate, overlapping onto the body of the cowl by at least 50mm in 3 directions.

(3) Is there any merit in the alternative of fixing the fixed hinge leaf to the inner surface of the cowl?

in friendship

Rowland

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelvin Weston

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query Reply with quote

Hi Rowland

My cowl had been trimmed by Nev when I collected it and was as shown in the picture.

I therefore assumed the intention was for the hinge to be riveted to the underside of the cowl and panel, using countersink rivets and filled after.
Much like the rudder, ailerons, etc.

Cowl Panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.18 KB
 Viewed:  2001 Time(s)

Cowl Panel.JPG

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
fireflier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query Reply with quote

Hi Rowland

I have fitted mine as described by Kelvin, and
The cut out is similar to the photo he posted.

Kind regards
Donald
G-PUPY

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 7 Jul 2023, at 23:55, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Questions:

in friendship

Rowland

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query Reply with quote

My Neville Eyre cowl hatch hinges have the hinge knuckle upwards. The hinges are the same as used for ailerons and anti servo tabs, so if the hinge flaps are tucked under the cowl, then the knuckles are about flush with the cowl top surface.

I used the smallest pop rivets through the cowl with countersunk heads flush with the cowl top surface. Three such little rivets through each hinge flap results in two neat rows of rivets per hinge and I saw no need to cover or paint the rivet heads.

Of course the cowl hatches only open about 90 degrees, but this is plenty for giving access to the oil and coolant caps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: