Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building fusible links for FAT wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcohen@post.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

In order to reduce the number of studs with nuts that could loosen in my Z101, I decided to use Fusible links 12AWG and 14AWG for my Pri and Aux Alternator Fault wires, 8AWG and 10AWG respectively. The AeroElectric Connection Article "How to Build Fusible Links" states this is for 22AWG and 24 AWG Fuse links only.

So my question is, what is different in constructing larger FAT wire fusible links? And where can I purchase short lengths of Silicone covered Fiberglass Sleeving? It seems that is not sold by Spruce or B&C....

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Eric Page

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Search eBay for "silicone fiberglass sleeve". It's similar to fire sleeve, but available in thin-wall versions and small diameters.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

On 2/10/2023 4:10 PM, jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
Quote:

In order to reduce the number of studs with nuts that could loosen in my Z101, I decided to use Fusible links 12AWG and 14AWG for my Pri and Aux Alternator Fault wires, 8AWG and 10AWG respectively. The AeroElectric Connection Article "How to Build Fusible Links" states this is for 22AWG and 24 AWG Fuse links only.

So my question is, what is different in constructing larger FAT wire fusible links? And where can I purchase short lengths of Silicone covered Fiberglass Sleeving? It seems that is not sold by Spruce or B&C....

--------
Jeff
Primary difference is the energy (heat) released if they 'blow'. This

makes containing the event a lot harder with big links. The ideal
solution is to just use off-the-shelf fusible link wire to make the
links. Amazon has vendors with a good selection.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=fusible+link+wire&crid=2RG3WCVSNEZWS&sprefix=fusible+link+wire%2Caps%2C219&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

You can solder and heatshrink, or just use quality crimp terminals to
join the link to the regular wire.

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

johnbright

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

FLW 6" long and 4 awg smaller than the B lead, PICO brand is common; available from 10 to 20 awg.

Is the main alternator 60A... if so I would go with 6 awg B lead.

N1921R links
jcohen@post.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Now that I am having fun building fusible links for my Pri and Aux Alternator wires, I am using off the shelf Pico fusible link wire (12AWG and 14AWG) to build my FAT wire links, should I still cover the wire with Fiberglass Sleeving? How does the off-the shelf FAT wire fusible link normally respond when it operates/ burns? If the link can flame and is not covered by fiberglass sleeve, shouldn't the physical routing be considered, like not routing near/below the battery or other components?

My thought is, if one event causes the fusible link to operate ( burn), couldn't a flame from a FAT wire take out a nearby critical component (like the Master in Z101) and cause a second failure?

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

On 2/17/2023 1:49 PM, jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
Quote:

Now that I am having fun building fusible links for my Pri and Aux Alternator wires, I am using off the shelf Pico fusible link wire (12AWG and 14AWG) to build my FAT wire links, should I still cover the wire with Fiberglass Sleeving? How does the off-the shelf FAT wire fusible link normally respond when it operates/ burns? If the link can flame and is not covered by fiberglass sleeve, shouldn't the physical routing be considered, like not routing near/below the battery or other components?

My thought is, if one event causes the fusible link to operate ( burn), couldn't a flame from a FAT wire take out a nearby critical component (like the Master in Z101) and cause a second failure?

--------
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

If you're buying purpose-built fuse-link wire, the insulation should be
designed to contain the 'event'. Look at the difference in both material
and thickness of the insulation. It's probably good practice to avoid
bundling the short segment of fuselink wire into a larger bundle, but
there usually wouldn't be any need to do that, anyway. If you have
serious doubts/questions, then make yourself a test rig and test a
segment (common sense protections for yourself and other stuff obviously
applies).

The fiberglass sleeving trick is typically used for the small gauge
links that are user-fabbed from regular small gauge wire that has
typical aircraft insulation.

Charlie

--
www.avast.com

jcohen@post.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Ceengland wrote:
On 2/17/2023 1:49 PM, jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
Quote:

--------
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

If you're buying purpose-built fuse-link wire, the insulation should be
designed to contain the 'event'. Look at the difference in both material
and thickness of the insulation. It's probably good practice to avoid
bundling the short segment of fuselink wire into a larger bundle, but
there usually wouldn't be any need to do that, anyway. If you have
serious doubts/questions, then make yourself a test rig and test a
segment (common sense protections for yourself and other stuff obviously
applies).

The fiberglass sleeving trick is typically used for the small gauge
links that are user-fabbed from regular small gauge wire that has
typical aircraft insulation.

Charlie

--
www.avast.com

Thank you Charlie. I will bench test the link to understand more of how the link reacts. Would there be any downside to attaching the 6” link at the B terminal of the pri alternator , rather than at the terminal on the starter contactor as depicted on Z101? That could help with fire proximity issues with contactors and/or battery. That implementation still protects the entire wire the same way, even when the protection is on the other “end” , right?

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

On 2/17/2023 4:08 PM, jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
Quote:

Ceengland wrote:
> On 2/17/2023 1:49 PM, jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Now that I am having fun building fusible links for my Pri and Aux Alternator wires, I am using off the shelf Pico fusible link wire (12AWG and 14AWG) to build my FAT wire links, should I still cover the wire with Fiberglass Sleeving? How does the off-the shelf FAT wire fusible link normally respond when it operates/ burns? If the link can flame and is not covered by fiberglass sleeve, shouldn't the physical routing be considered, like not routing near/below the battery or other components?
>>
>> My thought is, if one event causes the fusible link to operate ( burn), couldn't a flame from a FAT wire take out a nearby critical component (like the Master in Z101) and cause a second failure?
>>
>> --------
>> Jeff
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>
> If you're buying purpose-built fuse-link wire, the insulation should be
> designed to contain the 'event'. Look at the difference in both material
> and thickness of the insulation. It's probably good practice to avoid
> bundling the short segment of fuselink wire into a larger bundle, but
> there usually wouldn't be any need to do that, anyway. If you have
> serious doubts/questions, then make yourself a test rig and test a
> segment (common sense protections for yourself and other stuff obviously
> applies).
>
> The fiberglass sleeving trick is typically used for the small gauge
> links that are user-fabbed from regular small gauge wire that has
> typical aircraft insulation.
>
> Charlie
>
> --
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> www.avast.com

Thank you Charlie. I will bench test the link to understand more of how the link reacts. Would there be any downside to attaching the 6” link at the B terminal of the pri alternator , rather than at the terminal on the starter contactor as depicted on Z101? That could help with fire proximity issues with contactors and/or battery. That implementation still protects the entire wire the same way, even when the protection is on the other “end” , right?

--------
There is a downside to placing it at the alternator. Remember, the fuse

(whether CB, link, or actual fuse) is there to protect the wire. The
alternator B lead wire should be big enough to handle the highest
current the alternator can create (usually a small percentage higher
than its 'rated' output), so there's no need to protect the wire from
the alternator. The danger to the B lead is from the *battery*. So the
fusing device should be on the 'dangerous' end, to protect the wire. (It
is confusing, when you have devices at both ends that are both capable
of producing current.)

Charlie

johnbright

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

jcohen(at)post.com wrote:
... I will bench test the link to understand more of how the link reacts. Would there be any downside to attaching the 6” link at the B terminal of the pri alternator , rather than at the terminal on the starter contactor as depicted on Z101? That could help with fire proximity issues with contactors and/or battery. That implementation still protects the entire wire the same way, even when the protection is on the other “end” , right?

The way I express it is the protection (relay, contactor, fuse, current limiter, CB, fusible link) should be as close as possible to the power source which in this case is the battery. The battery can put out hundreds of amps and the alternator can only put out its rating (plus a little more if it's cold) so it is not capable of damaging itself or the B lead.

Suppose the alternator B leads gets pinched to ground somehow... one wants the fuselink to open before the battery self-destructs.

I don't imagine a melted B lead fuselink will create enough fire to burn the contactor case. Bob Nuckolls shows the fuselink at the contactor for a reason. I look forward to your experiment of burning one. A 12 awg wire will burn at ~235A and a 14 awg at ~166A.

BTW, what is the rating of your alternator?

N1921R links
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Quote:
Suppose the alternator B leads gets pinched to ground somehow... one wants the fuselink to open before the battery self-destructs.

Wire damage is unlikely. Shorted diodes in alternator
is more likely but still rare.

Quote:
I don't imagine a melted B lead fuselink will create enough fire to burn the contactor case.

The definition of any fusible circuit protection is
"a means by which a conductor can be protected
from catastrophic failure due to hard fault
down stream of a potentially hazardous energy
source."

In our cases, potentially hazardous energy sources
start with a battery (1000 amps) joined in relatively
minor concert with alternator(s) (40 to 125A?).

Circuit protection should function to clear the
faulted feeder with MINIMAL damage to adjacent
hardware and zero propagation to other systems.
Oh yeah, any by-products of fault clearance activity
should not become a hazard to occupants of the
machine (smoke). This applies to all vehicles
including but not limited to rail locomotives,
trucks and yeah, airplanes.

Quote:
Bob Nuckolls shows the fuselink at the contactor for a reason. I look forward to your experiment of burning one. A 12 awg wire will burn at ~235A and a 14 awg at ~166A.

The wire to be protected in this instance
is the alternator b-lead itself. The energy
source is the battery. The fault will most
likely be failed rectifier in the alternator.

I've 'smoked' a number of COTS (commercial off
the shelf) fusible link wires. Those current
'ratings' are irrelevant in the face of probable
fault conditions probably exceeding 1000 amps.

The smoke generated was not 'pleasant' but not
debilitating and short lived. Damage to said insulation
was remarkably minor. Fusible link insulation
is intended to contain the effects of a fused
wire such that damage to materials and components
outside that insulation is minimized. See "Hypalon"
insulation history.

Quote:

Relevant only to the extent of sizing b-lead
wire conductor size to limit voltage drop
to design goals . . . generally on the order
of a few hundred millivolts at full load.

I've got some videos of fusible link burns
that I'll try to dig up . . . or perhaps
duplicate.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a downside to placing it at the alternator. Remember, the fuse (whether CB, link, or actual fuse) is there to protect the wire. The alternator B lead wire should be big enough to handle the highest current the alternator can create (usually a small percentage higher than its 'rated' output), so there's no need to protect the wire from the alternator. The danger to the B lead is from the *battery*. So the fusing device should be on the 'dangerous' end, to protect the wire. (It is confusing, when you have devices at both ends that are both capable of producing current.)

B-lead protection is ALWAYS designed to deal
with BATTERY faults as the potentially hazardous
condition. An alternator is physically incapable
of opening its own b-lead protection.

BATTERIES are always the driving consideration for
placement and sizing of fusible links and/or current
limiters (ANL, ANN, MANL, etc).

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

johnbright

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:

Quote:

Relevant only to the extent of sizing b-lead
wire conductor size to limit voltage drop
to design goals . . . generally on the order
of a few hundred millivolts at full load.

Bob . . .

I’m just curious the OP chose 8 awg main alternator B lead. I have the impression main alternators are usually 60A with 6 awg B lead. This is an RV-7 with SDS EFI+I so current demands are higher than without EFI+I. I understand conductor sizing is not an exact science and the smaller wire will just get a little warmer and drop a little more voltage without being a safety issue.

My notes show 8 awg rated 40A and 6 awg 54A for the 10C rise criteria. I understand this is conservative when not in a bundle.

My load analysis for four cylinder SDS EFI+I ship shows 44A with both pumps running in addition to pitot heat, seat heat, lambda sensor, landing nav and strobe lights, dual Skyview and its accessories… so in reality 8 awg is not a problem.

N1921R links

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Quote:
My load analysis for four cylinder SDS EFI+I ship shows 44A with both
pumps running in addition to pitot heat, seat heat, lambda sensor,
landing nav and strobe lights, dual Skyview and its accessories…
so in reality 8 awg is not a problem.

8AWG wire has 0.63 milliOhms/ft. At 60A full alternator
load, this would drop 60 x 0.00063 = 0.038 or 38 milliVolts
per foot of b-lead. A trivial significance even if you
were able to achieve this unlikely operating load.

You are correct, this single conductor hanging out in the air
would not be at risk for compromise in your proposed
configuration.

My drawings tend to show 4AWG throughout the FAT wire
matrix because it works in the full constellation of
situations. It minimizes the need to scrounge up
little chunks of assorted wire sizes, terminals and
crimp tools just to satisfy some design goal for
'optimizing' wire sizes . . . especially since 'optimal'
has no industry wide definition. The weight penalties
for a slightly oversized wire are very small
while the fabrication and procurement benefits for
'one size fits all' are significant.

My '87 pick-em-up truck has an 10AWG b-lead feeder.
Alternators for that truck could be as beefy as 90A!

Hmmmm . . . 90A x 0.001 ohms/ft x 2 feet is 0.180
volts . . . ho hum. The wire is hanging out in a big
breeze.

Speaking of crimp tools . . .

A few years ago I snapped up a Harbor Freight
offering for a hand-held, hydraulic crimping
tool that came with a set of hex dies. The
dies proved to be next to useless . . . too
large of step between the graduation of sizes.
Took the thing back to HF.

A new kid on the block has appeared on Amazon,
et. als. with a more granular selection of hex
dimensions. I'm doing some test crimps on various
combinations of materials and developing a
process by which the OBAM aircraft builder's
probability of reliable crimps is very high.

Here's one of many examples:

https://tinyurl.com/2e8evels

There are offerings with more than 9 die
sets but these tend to add big honk'n
dies for wire that your airplane could
could not lift!

Watch this space . . .

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Ceengland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Building fusible links for FAT wires Reply with quote

Quote:
  A new kid on the block has appeared on Amazon,
  et. als. with a more granular selection of hex
  dimensions. I'm doing some test crimps on various
  combinations of materials and developing a
  process by which the OBAM aircraft builder's
  probability of reliable crimps is very high.

Here's one of many examples:

https://tinyurl.com/2e8evels

There are offerings with more than 9 die
  sets but these tend to add big honk'n
  dies for wire that your airplane could
  could not lift!

Watch this space . . .

Bob . . .
I've got a similar unit; biggest issue for me was that the dies are labeled in metric sizes, with no cross reference. So when I was using it I had to 'guestimate' which die set to use. Looks like the current selection has a cross reference.

Charlie
Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: