Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master and Starter Contactors wiring ("In and out"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Master and Starter Contactors wiring ("In and out" Reply with quote

At 11:35 PM 6/11/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "fasilpereira" <fasilpereira(at)yahoo.com>

I'm preparing to install the following contactors on my EAB:

- Master Contactor: S701-1 ( https://bandc.com/product/continuous-duty-contactor/)

- Starter Contactor: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/starterrelay.php?clickkey=5368

While choosing the best location for these on my firewall, a question came to my mind: Is there an "Input" terminal and an "Output" terminal for these parts? Is there any difference between the left and right terminals or I can any one of the 2 terminals I choose to the battery side?

The 'fat' terminals on both contactors are interchangeable . . .

Quote:
The S701-1 comes pre-wired and I understand that I'd have to change the diode and the battery jumper the other way around if I decide to use the other terminal to connect to the battery.

Correct . . .

Quote:
I'm asking this because on my aircraft, it would be much more convenient for me to use the other terminal for the battery just because my battery (EarthX ETX680C) has the positive pole on the left side of the aircraft and that would allow me to use a shorter cable to the contactor. In that case, it would be also better for me to use the opposite pole on the starter contactor too.

That would work. Suggest you consider using
welding cable for your battery connection jumpers
to (+) and (-) terminals . . . if not for all of
your 'fat' wires. Super flexible, much easier to work with.

Your battery contactor comes with diode already installed.
The B&C starter contactors used to have them built in
as well (Bottom of mounting bracket marked 'diode suppressed').
If you're not sure about the A.S. product, then it doesn't hurt
to add one on the outside . . . TWO diodes is much better
than NO diodes.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
fasilpereira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Master and Starter Contactors wiring Reply with quote

Bob and Joe,

Thank you for confirming I can wire it reversed.

I'm attaching a picture of how it is going to look like.

The Master solenoid wiring has been adjusted to receive the battery on the right terminal (I have moved the red wire from the left to the right terminal and the diode remained untouched).

Bob, I'm not sure if the ACS Stater Solenoid has an internal diode, but I'm already planning on installing an external one. I just don't have one with me right now but I'll install one before powering up the system.

Regarding the battery cables, I'm planning to buy the 4 AWG welding cables pre-assembled by B&C as soon as I define the system layout and can take the length measurements. I decided that after reading your recommendations on your great book!

Unfortunately the 4 AWG Starter and the 6 AWG Alternator and main buss feed cables were already made of aircraft grade wires and I'll probably leave it that way.

Thanks again for the help and tips,

Fabricio

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Contactors.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.25 KB
 Viewed:  1040 Time(s)

Contactors.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: