Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static On GTN-650

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I bought some LED landing lights from Amazon Aircraft Supply and they seem to produce some static noise on the GTN-650.  I have conformed by turning on/off the landing light switch that the LEDs are the appliance that is producing the static and I have confirmed that the GTN is the radio that I am hearing the static through because if I select the second radio or the third selection (that does not have a radio) on the SL-15 audio panel the static stops.  I do not believe the static sound is the squelch mode.

The airplane is fiberglass and the power and ground wires are not run together with the GTN wiring.

The power for the lights comes from a copper bus bar and a KLIXON CB.

Is there some kind of way to filter out the noise?

THANKS for your help and advice!!!

Bill

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

Are audio jacks mounted with insulating washers to prevent them from being grounded locally?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

Another thing is we ordered about twice as many lights as needed and picked the ones with the lowest noise.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 5:03 PM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
We had the same problem with our amazon lights making noise in the intercom. Better headsets helped, finding one wiring problem in the intercom wiring helped, but the biggest fix was adding some noise filters to the lights. Here's the little filter box I made. It's not a great diagram, the box around the electronics is not wiring, it's a box.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 4:02 PM William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I bought some LED landing lights from Amazon Aircraft Supply and they seem to produce some static noise on the GTN-650.  I have conformed by turning on/off the landing light switch that the LEDs are the appliance that is producing the static and I have confirmed that the GTN is the radio that I am hearing the static through because if I select the second radio or the third selection (that does not have a radio) on the SL-15 audio panel the static stops.  I do not believe the static sound is the squelch mode.

The airplane is fiberglass and the power and ground wires are not run together with the GTN wiring.

Bill

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

We had the same problem with our amazon lights making noise in the intercom. Better headsets helped, finding one wiring problem in the intercom wiring helped, but the biggest fix was adding some noise filters to the lights. Here's the little filter box I made. It's not a great diagram, the box around the electronics is not wiring, it's a box.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 4:02 PM William Hunter <billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Bill

IMG_20180930_110009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  2653 Time(s)

IMG_20180930_110009.jpg

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

Some LED lights are, indeed, incredibly noisy. My son discovered that they pretty much trash garage door openers with RF interference. With cheap LED bulbs installed in the garage door opener, it was well nigh impossible to close the door using the remote in the car because the light was on. We have both switched to a different brand of LED lights in our garage doors and voila! both are now working properly again. Once again, the lesson seems to be that you get what you pay for.
    -- Art Z.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 7:29 PM Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Bill

--
My blog: CheerfulCurmudgeon.com
The good is already there. Practicing gratitude means being fully aware of the good that is already yours.

millner(at)me.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

Art Zemon wrote: the lesson seems to be that you get what you pay for.

Hi Art!

That's never been the lesson. Though, it is true that you seldom get
MORE than you pay for. I think the LEDs were probably innocent...
rather, it's the poorly filtered power supplies for the LEDs that caused
the interference. Perhaps that is a distinction without a difference,
but the LED itself is pretty interference free... but beware the support
system!

Paul, Thailand remote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

>but the biggest fix was adding some noise filters to the lights.

Is there a filter available for purchase specific to this type of problem?

THANKS

Bill

On 12/17/2021 6:03 PM, Sebastien wrote:

Quote:
but the biggest fix was adding some noise filters to the lights.

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

At 10:30 AM 12/20/2021, you wrote:
Quote:

So you know how the noise is getting into the avionics?
Through the antenna(s), ground loops or conducted power?
Refresh my memory, what combination of lights/power supplies
are being discussed?

Way back when, the BuckPuck was a popular but noisy
power supply for some DIY nav lights. We crafted
a filter assembly for that product which sold rather
well for a time.

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Lighting/Buck-Puck/

This was for radiated noise that found it's way
in through antennas. I've got some residual
ecbs around here for another filter that used
surface mounted parts that also tamed radiated
noise from some auto-led conversions installed
as landing/taxi lights.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

eschlanser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

cluros(at)gmail.com wrote:
[/quote]
Can anyone help me understand what the component symbols and numbers in the diagram refer to? I understand that they refer to components in the diagram, but what are they? I could not find them in review of electrical component symbols and the associated numbers.
A picture of the completed device would help a DIY builder understand it. if its not too much trouble.
As the OP asked, if anyone is aware of a reference to a commercially available device, it would be appreciated.

I'm a little surprised that the GTN 650 would be susceptible to such interference. I wonder if the Garmin help technicians have anything to say about it? Many years ago, my little GPS 92 would go blank whenever I tuned the nav radio to our home field VOR frequency. Astonishingly, the Garmin help tech denied such a thing could be happening.
Thanks,Eric

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

>So you know how the noise is getting into the avionics?    Through the antenna(s), ground loops or conducted power?

I do not how the noise is getting to the GTN. 

>Refresh my memory, what combination of lights/power supplies are being discussed?

The fiberglass airplane has a B&C alternator and it feeds power to two "ships power" copper bus bars with Klixon circuit breakers and one of these circuit breakers feeds the LED landing light. 

The avionics copper bus bar gets its power from one of the ships power copper bus bars through a LT-100 Honeywell switch that feeds the avionics copper bus bar that powers the GTN, transponder, ADS-B, and the SL-15 audio panel.

The switch panel for aircraft lighting is in the overhead and the power from the overhead switch panel is routed in a different location than the GTN radio unit and power wires however there is one location where the LED power and ground wires will cross the antenna coax cable for the radio however the wires do not run parallel to the coax cable just at a 90 degree angle.

The audio panel is a SL-15 and I have a Dynon radio that is quiet when the LED landing light is turned on.  If I select the GTN for the transmit/receive then I hear the static.  When I turn off the landing light switch the static stops.

How would one (me) be able to determine the source of the static?

The lights in question are theses:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6Z2XZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again...always grateful for the help!!!

On 12/20/2021 10:29 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 10:30 AM 12/20/2021, you wrote:
Quote:

So you know how the noise is getting into the avionics?
  Through the antenna(s), ground loops or conducted power?
  Refresh my memory, what combination of lights/power supplies
  are being discussed?

Way back when, the BuckPuck was a popular but noisy
  power supply for some DIY nav lights. We crafted
  a filter assembly for that product which sold rather
  well for a time.

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Lighting/Buck-Puck/

This was for radiated noise that found it's way
  in through antennas. I've got some residual
  ecbs around here for another filter that used
  surface mounted parts that also tamed radiated
  noise from some auto-led conversions installed
  as landing/taxi lights.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

Ceengland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Static On GTN-650 Reply with quote

snip
Quote:

How would one (me) be able to determine the source of the static?

snip

If you have or can borrow a spare 12V battery (could be a small one),
disconnect the feeder to the lights at the CB, and connect it to the
spare battery. Ground the spare battery at the common ground point in
the fuselage.

If you power up the a/c and there's no noise in the radio, then the
noise is likely coming in through the power wires. If you still have the
noise, it's likely getting radiated & detected by the radio.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: