Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N11EU Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Hi,

Just sending a note to test the forum (and take the opportunity to share my new Europa experience). I have not seen an update in the Europa forum for a while but apparently it is fixed.

On the Europa side of things, N11EU is doing great and I now have about 70 hrs (have never flown any airplane I have owned so much in such little time). Still not painted but flying great. I have installed NACA vents that work fantastic and a Kroger Sunshade. The NACA scoops were designed using strict design guidelines and I have to say it's a hurricane in the cockpit and I only have one vent installed! (planning on installing a second one). I still don't have carpets.

I installed a uAvionix AV-30 when the bozo that did the transponder check blew all my pitot-static instruments and it has been the joy of my panel. Neat instrument.

I am now spending a lot of time designing proper cushions (again, reading a lot of studies about proper car seat design and have made some interesting discoveries). It seems I will end up with an acceptable design considering the serious challenges of how to make cushions for the Europa. I will share the design and knowledge learned if anyone is interested.

The airplane is doing great with the DUC prop and I am very happy with it. This is summer in Florida, and despite the heat, I can see 1000 fpm climbs while still cruise at 135 knots at 5200 RPM. However, at 4800 - 4900 RPM the engine is incredibly smooth (why?) so I am spending more time at that regime seeing around 125 to 130 knots cruise while enjoying a relaxing ride.

I have to report that I have become much more proficient at landing my mono although this is not the windy season here so haven't really tested my skills in gusty or stiff crosswind conditions. But now I have learned the technique to grease almost every landing and actually enjoy them (no more anxiety). The picture attached shows me landing at my home airport. A bit nose high but have found this technique to work well consistently.

I have been flying some nice x-countries to places around 120ish miles away or so and it's a lot of fun. I have taken some passengers up including my wife, kids and a friend one time. Boy you can feel the extra weight!

Well, that is about it. I will continue small improvements as I am planning to work on the speed fairings next. Don't expect a much of a gain but let see. Heck, if I can get 5 knots more I will be very happy.

Well, lets see if this message goes through.
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Awesome to hear Chris! I agree the mono is a blast to fly! Nice numbers….one note fwiw, my local rotax mech says running lower than 5k beats up the splines.

Id luv to hear more re cushion design!

Would be great if you also posted to the europa aircraft owners facebook group!

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2021, at 11:25 AM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Just sending a note to test the forum (and take the opportunity to share my new Europa experience). I have not seen an update in the Europa forum for a while but apparently it is fixed.

On the Europa side of things, N11EU is doing great and I now have about 70 hrs (have never flown any airplane I have owned so much in such little time). Still not painted but flying great. I have installed NACA vents that work fantastic and a Kroger Sunshade. The NACA scoops were designed using strict design guidelines and I have to say it's a hurricane in the cockpit and I only have one vent installed! (planning on installing a second one). I still don't have carpets.

I installed a uAvionix AV-30 when the bozo that did the transponder check blew all my pitot-static instruments and it has been the joy of my panel. Neat instrument.

I am now spending a lot of time designing proper cushions (again, reading a lot of studies about proper car seat design and have made some interesting discoveries). It seems I will end up with an acceptable design considering the serious challenges of how to make cushions for the Europa. I will share the design and knowledge learned if anyone is interested.

The airplane is doing great with the DUC prop and I am very happy with it. This is summer in Florida, and despite the heat, I can see 1000 fpm climbs while still cruise at 135 knots at 5200 RPM. However, at 4800 - 4900 RPM the engine is incredibly smooth (why?) so I am spending more time at that regime seeing around 125 to 130 knots cruise while enjoying a relaxing ride.

I have to report that I have become much more proficient at landing my mono although this is not the windy season here so haven't really tested my skills in gusty or stiff crosswind conditions. But now I have learned the technique to grease almost every landing and actually enjoy them (no more anxiety). The picture attached shows me landing at my home airport. A bit nose high but have found this technique to work well consistently.

I have been flying some nice x-countries to places around 120ish miles away or so and it's a lot of fun. I have taken some passengers up including my wife, kids and a friend one time. Boy you can feel the extra weight!

Well, that is about it. I will continue small improvements as I am planning to work on the speed fairings next. Don't expect a much of a gain but let see. Heck, if I can get 5 knots more I will be very happy.

Chris

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502979#502979

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/n11eu_landing_826.jpg

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Pic link is broken btw. Nit on fb tho Wink

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2021, at 11:25 AM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Chris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502979#502979

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/n11eu_landing_826.jpg

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I removed the picture because I first want to obtain permission from the photographer that took it. Once I have that will post again.

On the RPM part thanks for the heads up. Yes, I am familiar with that subject but I have decided that I will run my engine at 4900 RPM unless I am trying to get somewhere fast. It just gets too noisy and I don't like it. My suspicion is that there are resonant modes in the airframe that amplify noise and vibration over 5000 RPM and I don't like it. I have done a few cross countries at 5200 RPM and its fun because of the speed (I loose a full 10 knots between 4900 and 5200) but it's tiring. I also fly a lot of formation flight with airplanes that are slower and that forces me to back-off on the RPM. Time will tell.

On the cushion side of things, right now I have a prototype installed (yes, I am taking it that seriously because I am getting sore butt from sitting in this thing).

The prototype is made with PU foam to test. The intent is to go with Confor foam on the bottom for protection and to reduce pressure points on the final iteration. The rest is firm PU foam to keep it light. The biggest challenge was to keep the torso to thigh angle at 95° or over but couldn't achieve that. I got around 90° but kept the foam on the distal thighs soft to try to get a little more angle. The yellow stuff in the picture is PU foam. Dark blue is PE foam piece that I hotwired to get the proper bottom angle. The pink, light blue and green layers are Confor.

I wanted to minimize the Confor foam but in my PU prototype I get a pressure point on my right tuberosity (butt bone) and I think it is attributed to the 90° angle and leaning toward the center of the cockpit because your left arm is hitting the door frame. I think the Confor foam will help.

The surfaces are flat. No bolsters (makes them a little ugly) but that will allow some repositioning during flight and allow leg sprawling (important in our plane and for comfort). It also keeps them simple.

Picture of my CAD design attached and I hope it helps. I will report how it comes out when I build the final ones and test them.

Chris

Europa Cushion Design.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.91 KB
 Viewed:  3851 Time(s)

Europa Cushion Design.JPG

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Hey was wondering why it was so quiet on the forum; thought everyone is locked in their houses like most of Australia, or been arrested for leaving the house..

Chris.. sounds like a great aircraft, what pitch are you running on the DUC there? Cheers

Last edited by Area-51 on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
duanefamly(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Well.....I wouldn't want to leave you talking to yourself on this forum. Especially since you are down-under and your government seems to be either crazier than ours or really really health conscious. I fly the Europa as a taildragger with the Bob Berube single piece gear leg. I run a 120 hp Jabiru 3300A with a twin blade Sensenich prop. She will cruise about 110 knots while drinking a little under 17 L/hr.
And yes, I feel that the forum has been very quiet but we can still go flying without restrictions. But for me, living near Phoenix, Arizona, I have to fly before 11 am as the temps today are currently 112' F or 44' C. This makes for a very sweaty experience. But this only lasts about 3 months and then we get into the fun flying.
So....good day...and keep up the hours.
[img]cid:HXE25bKbdFaAKUghmDtX[/img]

Mike Duane N377EA
Chandler, AZ

--

Eddie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  812.12 KB
 Viewed:  3833 Time(s)

Eddie.jpg

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Many of us have found the forum has had some difficulty.

I have not been able to make comments for a month.

Bud Yerly

--

Area-51

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Nice!! yes and not wanting to sidetrack Chris’s post, the government here is not crazy; they are clearly a) “Grossly Not-Yet-Competent”, and, b) “Clinically Insane”... It’s fast becoming a Humanitarian Disaster; police have begun using rubber bullets and pepper spray on unarmed children and women peacefully protesting; the chief health officer is requesting people not talk to their neighbours, not leave the house to buy food, not use online shopping to buy food (sit in the house and starve), requesting national freight drivers not stop at truck stops to eat rest or wash themselves.. 1 positive case and they lock the entire city/town down; a few hundred cases in one city and they lock the entire state down.... citizens can not leave the country and in some areas not even leave their burough...thankfully we are “Legally” required to fly minimum hours under federal transport laws!!

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

I think I read a post that the forum was down for technical reasons. I was checking everyday and was starting to feel serious withdrawal symptoms Very Happy

And I don't mind the hijack, it's fun to see people coming back!

Regarding my prop pitch, it's close to what the manual says which is 24°. However I don't know the exact pitch since I use a tool that I made that mounts on the blade and shines a laser spot on the floor. You mark the spot, rotate and level the other blade and mount the tool. Compare the two spots and make them the same. Works really well but when fine tuning you don't measure the angle, except the first time around, but just move the spots a little at a time making sure they end up shining the same spot. But it's pretty much the 24° in the manual.

Chris

n7188u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

To share another thing I did, ceiling cover and Kroger Sunshade. I actually ended up removing the compass and moving the shade forward. It does get in the way of getting into the seat but it is nice when flying with the sun high.

I got this shade used (like most stuff on my plane) so it is what it is. They are not very wide but do work. I'm keeping it (and the wife liked it). The only thing I would do different is a longer rail to be able to slide it all the way back.

Chris

Message_1627663417477_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  613.78 KB
 Viewed:  3809 Time(s)

Message_1627663417477_resized.jpg

Message_1627663387753_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  560.91 KB
 Viewed:  3809 Time(s)

Message_1627663387753_resized.jpg

Area-51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Thanks Chris; laser tool sounds trick 👍

n7188u

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the tool on the blade. I use a digital level to level the blade. The laser will shine a spot on the floor and you mark it. Then do the same for the other blades and match all spots. You end up with same angle on all blades with great resolution. I tested for repeatability and it is very good.
Chris

20210828_210741_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  648.48 KB
 Viewed:  3736 Time(s)

20210828_210741_resized.jpg

n7188u

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Got permission to post this picture of N11EU touching down. Credit goes to Art Rubin Photography.

I think that in this case my deck angle was a bit high but I found I prefer this to being too close to touching main first. Of course different landings vary a bit, with sometimes touching the main a hair before the tail with the resulting bouncy. But I think this is such a fun picture with the tail rolling along happily (or maybe about to touch) while still in the air.

Chris

N11EU Landing.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.46 KB
 Viewed:  3726 Time(s)

N11EU Landing.JPG

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Very neat idea….

Quote:
On Aug 28, 2021, at 9:19 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Here is a picture of the tool on the blade. I use a digital level to level the blade. The laser will shine a spot on the floor and you mark it. Then do the same for the other blades and match all spots. You end up with same angle on all blades with great resolution. I tested for repeatability and it is very good.
Chris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502997#502997

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/20210828_210741_resized_158.jpg

Area-51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Great pitch tool idea; how do you prevent the aircraft from moving between blade rotations? Or is everything on the undercarriage fully chocked up?

Nice pic too on touchdown! I prefer being contrary and wheeling my mono onto the deck for now; need more practice flaring to grease it in the correct way

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Wow…!…absolutely textbook touchdown…congratulations !
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2021, at 6:16 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)>Got permission to post this picture of N11EU touching down. Credit goes to Art Rubin Photography.Chris

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: N11EU Update Reply with quote

Chris…compliments on both concept and execution…What material did you use to make your tool?…Would you be willing to post a couple additional photos?
Thanks,

Fred
A194
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2021, at 6:12 PM, n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)>Here is a picture of the tool on the blade. I use a digital level to level the blade. The laser will shine a spot on the floor and you mark it. Then do the same for the other blades and match all spots. You end up with same angle on all blades with great resolution. I tested for repeatability and it is very good.Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: