Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak52 Charging Issue - intermittent, now solid failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pennington.construction.i

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Yak52 Charging Issue - intermittent, now solid failure Reply with quote

Mike. 
I have the B&C alternator kit on my M14P.
Nice piece. Easy install. Very reliable.  
I wouldn't hesitate.  
Mark
N621CJ

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM Michael Airhart <michaelairhart(at)gmail.com (michaelairhart(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I am going to pause this chase and get an alternator and be done with it.  Lighter, simple, parts available, vendor tech support, and hopefully reliable.
Worthwhile investment on multiple fronts.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 4:55 PM Michael Airhart <michaelairhart(at)gmail.com (michaelairhart(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I failed to mention that my very first test was with the system intact, engine running, at the generator + output.  At idle I measured ~1.0 V and at 60% RPM ~1.7V.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 2:41 PM Michael Airhart <michaelairhart(at)gmail.com (michaelairhart(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Yak52 in basic stock form.

Generator fail light started to intermittently come on above 40%, but could not correlate to any particular scenario.  The Volt/Amp meter responded as you would expect, Amps drop to discharge and voltage dropped to around 24V from 28V.
Sometimes all would be well for 90% of the flight, other times it would flicker on/off quite a bit.
What I have done so far:
- Mark B's Generator test (isolated the generator and carefully tested by tying field to +)  At 34% RPM voltage is 24V, at 40% voltage is 30V.  Working as expected.
- Removed voltage regulator from floor area shock mount, cleaned contact studs on regulator and "fingers" on the mount.  Checked all wires for chafing and tightness on lugs.
- Adjusted the voltage control by the throttle while it was previously charging, voltage changed as expected.
- verified over-voltage breaker was not tripped on the silver box above the regulator.
- checked each fuse in the electrical box on the right firewall, all tested good.
- tapped on the different relays on the electrical box with engine at 50%, 
It is no longer even attempting to intermittently charge.  I am at a hard failure point.
I have not removed the electrical box off the firewall yet to look at the field wire as it comes in from the engine bay.
What advice does the group have as next steps?
Thank you
Michael

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: