Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Peach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone had any issues with the tail spring attachment bolt fixing on the Europa classic?

The laid up ply and steel plate on mine appear to have been crushed ever so slightly but enough for me want to fix immediately. Can't feel any movement but when i grab the spring and apply lateral pressure it creaks, indicating some movement even if I can't feel it.

I read somewhere about a reinforcement fix but can't find the mod on the LAA or Europa club site.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Ron

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

I've had a bolt break, due to torsional loads in the spring during taxiing turns, exacerbated by some loosening of the captive nut. A number of mods have been done to provide an additional steel plate on top of the spring (and somehow connected at its ends with the lower steel plate) in order to divert the torsional loads from the bolt.

Duncan McF.

Quote:
On 25 June 2021 at 09:08 Ron Peach <ronpeach1(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Anyone had any issues with the tail spring attachment bolt fixing on the Europa classic?

The laid up ply and steel plate on mine appear to have been crushed ever so slightly but enough for me want to fix immediately. Can't feel any movement but when i grab the spring and apply lateral pressure it creaks, indicating some movement even if I can't feel it.

I read somewhere about a reinforcement fix but can't find the mod on the LAA or Europa club site.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502598#502598

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Ron,
Many years ago I suggested a modification and all mono's that have gone through my shop have been modified. It allows a bit more security of the bolt, prevents bending and crushing of the glass/ply support. The top of the bolt could bend if your metal sleeve is sloppy. So far, my clients have all held up. I'm afraid it has been many months since I've done a tail spring mod. I've attached a drawing that may be some help.

Essentially, I install my spring retaining bolt considerably different. Review Mod 43. My additions are to hollow the skin out and lay reinforcing plys of bid on the belly. I add a 5/16 nominal washer to the recess.
I then cut and fashion a chrome moly tube reaching the length of the bolt from the metal plate down to the washer in the skin. The 7/16 0.065 wall tube I used had to be reamed out for the 5/16 or 0.3125 inch bolt seemed to be firm enough to support full bolt torque but I’m sure that a 0.049 wall is sufficient as the torque on the bolt is about 100-140 inch pounds which is not terribly high.
Bud Yerly
<![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image002.png(at)01D769A3.165F9EB0[/img]<![endif]><![endif]-->

--

image002.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.56 KB
 Viewed:  2399 Time(s)

image002.png

Ron Peach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Duncan, Bud,

Thanks very much for responding. Bud your mod makes sense but at this stage I'm looking for an easier solution. I am currently planning to replace the original steel plate with an exact copy, re-bonding it to the ply/bid platform and putting in a new bolt (I found indications of light corrosion on the bolt at the point that it passed through the steel plate).

In Graham Singletons mod (PFA 10371) he mentions using 1/8th sheet bent to form a 1/2" by 1" angle to 'reduce the tendency to bend and crush the plywood/bid reinforcement'. With no other detail, I presume that this would go on top of the steel plate with the bolt passing through it as well. I can see how this mini girder could help spread the load.

I also read in a report (of a tail wheel failure) that six or seven mono owners had fitted a mod that comprised of two light alloy plates bonded to either side of a block of Paxolin. This was claimed to provided additional lateral support for the bolt. The report stated that this mod was approved by the PFA but I can't find any evidence of that.

Anyone else out there with knowledge?

Regards

Ron

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

In my case the bolt breaks at a location around the top of the steel plate, and just below the inner end of the threaded portion of the bolt. As might be expected.

Duncan McF. [quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> Clean Clean false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--> <![endif]-->/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]--> On 25 June 2021 at 14:18 Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com> wrote:

Ron,
Many years ago I suggested a modification and all mono's that have gone through my shop have been modified. It allows a bit more security of the bolt, prevents bending and crushing of the glass/ply support. The top of the bolt could bend if your metal sleeve is sloppy. So far, my clients have all held up. I'm afraid it has been many months since I've done a tail spring mod. I've attached a drawing that may be some help.

Essentially, I install my spring retaining bolt considerably different. Review Mod 43. My additions are to hollow the skin out and lay reinforcing plys of bid on the belly. I add a 5/16 nominal washer to the recess.
I then cut and fashion a chrome moly tube reaching the length of the bolt from the metal plate down to the washer in the skin. The 7/16 0.065 wall tube I used had to be reamed out for the 5/16 or 0.3125 inch bolt seemed to be firm enough to support full bolt torque but I’m sure that a 0.049 wall is sufficient as the torque on the bolt is about 100-140 inch pounds which is not terribly high.
Bud Yerly
<![endif]-->[img]cid:image002.png(at)01D769A3.165F9EB0[/img]<![endif]-->

--

image002.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.56 KB
 Viewed:  2373 Time(s)

image002.png

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Both efforts were an attempt to grab the flat end of the tailspring (in the manner of a spanner) to redistribute resistance of the torsional load in the spring.
I would be inclined to just add a second steel plate on top of the spring, slightly longer and with the ends bent down and welded to the outer edges of the lower plate. Optional webbing between the two plates can be applied too if you think the buckling loads induced into the top plate wouldn't be sustained.

Duncan McF.

Quote:
On 25 June 2021 at 20:05 Ron Peach <ronpeach1(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Duncan, Bud,

Thanks very much for responding. Bud your mod makes sense but at this stage I'm looking for an easier solution. I am currently planning to replace the original steel plate with an exact copy, re-bonding it to the ply/bid platform and putting in a new bolt (I found indications of light corrosion on the bolt at the point that it passed through the steel plate).

In Graham Singletons mod (PFA 10371) he mentions using 1/8th sheet bent to form a 1/2" by 1" angle to 'reduce the tendency to bend and crush the plywood/bid reinforcement'. With no other detail, I presume that this would go on top of the steel plate with the bolt passing through it as well. I can see how this mini girder could help spread the load.

I also read in a report (of a tail wheel failure) that six or seven mono owners had fitted a mod that comprised of two light alloy plates bonded to either side of a block of Paxolin. This was claimed to provided additional lateral support for the bolt. The report stated that this mod was approved by the PFA but I can't find any evidence of that.

Anyone else out there with knowledge?

Regards

Ron

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502602#502602

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

I posted my solution to the forum a few years ago. Rather than have you search for it I resurrected it from archive. Typical of other Mono folks I too bent my tail wheel bolt which led me to creating the following mod I performed over 10 years ago. Never had a problem since. The original design relies on the AN5-21A bolt to counter the torsional load of the tail spring which isn't ideal as you can attest too. I created a simple mod that takes the torsional load from the tail spring and transfers it to the XTW15 steel support plate rather than the AN5 bolt in bending. I installed an aluminum block with a channel milled down the middle (the width and height of the mounting end of the tail spring) with a through hole in the center to pass the AN5 bolt. As shown in the attached drawing the block captivates the end of the tail spring and transfers the load as described above. The AN5 bolt is now in double shear instead of single shear and bending. A longer bolt is required to replace the existing AN5-21A which is too short to pass through the block. That's it. And it works a treat. You may not even require approval of the mod as it could be considered a really thick washer of sorts. The mod also prevents the through hole in the bottom of the fuselage in which the AN5 bolt passes from wallowing out.

Also, regarding bonding of the tail spring to the rear stern post I deviated slightly from the instructions. When I originally installed the tail spring I was giving consideration to serviceability and realized if the spring were bonded to the stern post I would need to deal with the Redux. Realizing the benefit of having the additional bearing surface of the Redux I installed the tail spring per the manual, however, I applied a release to the tail spring such that the Redux wouldn't adhere. This allows the tail spring to be easily removed without compromising the design.

Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Erich

N28ET Classic Mono 914

MonoTailwheelSpringMod.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MonoTailwheelSpringMod.pdf
 Filesize:  54.56 KB
 Downloaded:  197 Time(s)

Ron Peach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Europa Classic Tail Spring Attachment Reply with quote

Duncan,

Thanks for the additional information and suggestion.

Erich,

Thank you for taking the time to revisit this issue and share your solution. It seems simple and has obviously worked for you.

Due to all your responses I now have a far greater understanding of what I am trying to achieve and am armed with a number of viable solutions. Cannot thank you guys enough. Now to get on with it.

Regards,

Ron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: