Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archer style wingtip antenna fabrication questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Archer style wingtip antenna fabrication questions Reply with quote

I have an Archer wingtip comm  antenna I intend to install in one wingtip (can always add a 1/4 wave whip if needed), and I'm thinking about building the nav version detailed in Bob's 'Antennas & Feedlines chapter for the other wingtip (figure 13-12 in my document).
How critical is the material for the .032" x .8" x 3.25" bakelite insulator that forms what I'm guessing is a matching capacitor? Does the bakelite participate in any way in operation, or is it simply a way to get a fixed air gap?
Bakelite in that 'thinness' doesn't seem to be available without paying more for shipping than the 3-postage-stamp size needed would cost. What about substituting something like the thin HDPE cutting board stock, available at discount stores? Two layers would be about .034" thick. 
Thanks,
Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Archer style wingtip antenna fabrication questions Reply with quote

Charlie, It looks like the critical dimension is the 0.31 air gap. My concern is that a softer plastic will flow over time resulting in the screws loosening up.
It looks like the angle part of the antenna is fastened to an aluminum wing rib. The directions are not specific. A Bakelite sheet on eBay costs $5 including shipping. Item #: 281793575532 from China. You might have to wait up to a month for shipping. It is 1mm thick which converts to 0.039". I would not sand it down. The Bakelite could possibly contain asbestos.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ceengland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Archer style wingtip antenna fabrication questions Reply with quote

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
At 12:03 PM 6/22/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
I have an Archer wingtip comm  antenna I intend to install in one wingtip (can always add a 1/4 wave whip if needed), and I'm thinking about building the nav version detailed in Bob's 'Antennas & Feedlines chapter for the other wingtip (figure 13-12 in my document).

How critical is the material for the .032" x .8" x 3.25" bakelite insulator that forms what I'm guessing is a matching capacitor? Does the bakelite participate in any way in operation, or is it simply a way to get a fixed air gap?

Bakelite in that 'thinness' doesn't seem to be available without paying more for shipping than the 3-postage-stamp size needed would cost. What about substituting something like the thin HDPE cutting board stock, available at discount stores? Two layers would be about .034" thick.Â

It IS critical . . . yes it forms the dielectric
    for a capacitor used to series resonate the feeder
    strut.

Bob must have conducted experiments to optimize
    the characteristics of that capacitor with respect
    to the matching strut for optimal mid-band impedance
    match.

If it were my project, I'd use ANY available dielectric
    material and conduct experiments over a ground plane
    on the table to achieve (1) antenna resonance and
    (2) best match to the feed line.

When I was a kid, a 'gamma match' was commonly
    used to bring a feed line and antenna radiator
    into functional harmony. The attached figure
    illustrates an adjustable feeder strut paired
    with a variable capacitor to feed a grounded
    quarter-wave antenna.

My 10M, 2-element beam had such a feature that
    was tuned with the aid of an SWR bridge. Today,
    a vector network analyzer is the instrument
    of choice and can cost less than a good SWR
    meter.

After getting close on the bench, you can
    confirm on the airplane to see if 'tweeking'
    is called for.  I've had readers assemble the
    Archer wing tip antennas per drawings but found
    it useful to trim dimensions per measured results.

Bob . . .

If any dielectric is worth a shot, I think I'll try my flexible cutting board idea for a start. I've got a pack of them on the shelf, left over from another project (bearing surface for the round top tube of an aluminum hangar door). Package says 43% HDPE/57% EVA, and it's ~0.017" thick, so 2 layers will be pretty close in thickness, at least. How critical is tuning, for a receive-only Nav antenna? I do have a NanoVNA; I just need to learn how to use it. Wink
Thanks for the offer on the dielectric, but let me give the cutting board a shot first.
BTW, since this is a Nav antenna and can lie flat on the bottom of the wingtip, I'm thinking I may try aluminum flashing (~0.008"), and slightly 'break' the edges to stiffen it. Any issues with that, if width/length dimensions are maintained? 
Charlie

johnbright

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Archer style wingtip antenna fabrication questions Reply with quote

Ceengland wrote:
... I do have a NanoVNA; I just need to learn how to use it. Wink

Charlie

MegawattKS is a retired electrical engineering professor from Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS. He has YouTube videos about the NanaVNA.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MegawattKS

N1921R links
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: