Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kesleyelectric(at)iowatel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

Greetings,

I’m in the process of installing an MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator, and am wondering what the best way is to connect the five 26 gauge leads coming out of the actuator to the corresponding 26 gauge five wire control cable that will be routed up to the cockpit. The company used to offer a small, round pin connector for that purpose, but not any more. Would like to be able to disconnect the actuator rather than cut solder joints, if possible. Any suggestions for a connector for fine wires like that appreciated.

Tom Barter
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
wdaniell.longport(at)GMAI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

I used a molex but i suspect a dsub would have been better
Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 18:25 Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net>
wrote:

[quote] Greetings,

I’m in the process of installing an MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator, and am
wondering what the best way is to connect the five 26 gauge leads coming
out of the actuator to the corresponding 26 gauge five wire control cable
that will be routed up to the cockpit. The company used to offer a small,
round pin connector for that purpose, but not any more. Would like to be
able to disconnect the actuator rather than cut solder joints, if
possible. Any suggestions for a connector for fine wires like that
appreciated.

Tom Barter
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

At 05:21 PM 6/11/2021, you wrote:

Quote:
Greetings,

I’m in the process of installing an MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator, and am wondering what the best way is to connect the five 26 gauge leads coming out of the actuator to the corresponding 26 gauge five wire control cable that will be routed up to the cockpit. The company used to offer a small, round pin connector for that purpose, but not any more. Would like to be able to disconnect the actuator rather than cut solder joints, if possible. Any suggestions for a connector for fine wires like that appreciated.

Ditch the 26AWG 5wire extension and mate your
MAC actuator to a 22AWG 5-wire bundle of your
own making. Here's a suggested method that is
much easier to fabricate and decidedly more
robust as a finished installation:

https://tinyurl.com/cmq7epd

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

Machined subD pins should work fine; if needed strip twice as much and
double the wire before inserting in the pin. If you want them 'orderly',
use a 9 pin housing; otherwise just use heat shrink over each mated pair.

Wish I could claim the idea.. Wink

Charlie

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>
Virus-free.
www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net>
wrote:

[quote] Greetings,

appreciated.

Tom Barter
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free

Voyager

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

I remember seeing this approach somewhere also, I want to say from Stein Bruch at Steinair. He simply used good quality pins and sockets and then mated them and individually heat shrunk them as you describe. I think he may have put a larger heat shrink sleeve over the entire bundle for an extra payer of protection and neatness.  It looked like a neat and tidy solution. Certainly not as quick to disconnect as an actual connector, but then how often do you remove the elevator or tail of your airplane?

I am considering this approach, but may also just use a 0.062 pitch mini molex as they are fairly robust and small, but not weatherproof. A 5 pin Weatherpack or Metripack is weatherproof, but much bulkier.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jun 11, 2021, at 6:41 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Machined subD pins should work fine; if needed strip twice as much and double the wire before inserting in the pin. If you want them 'orderly', use a 9 pin housing; otherwise just use heat shrink over each mated pair.
Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net (kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Greetings,

Tom Barter

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_1956570227212391193_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

The technique is detailed on the Aeroelectric Connection site; I think Bob has a 'comic book' detailing it. But the technique is pretty much everywhere in the wild now.

Charlie

On 6/11/2021 7:28 PM, Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Quote:
I remember seeing this approach somewhere also, I want to say from Stein Bruch at Steinair.  He simply used good quality pins and sockets and then mated them and individually heat shrunk them as you describe.  I think he may have put a larger heat shrink sleeve over the entire bundle for an extra payer of protection and neatness.  It looked like a neat and tidy solution.  Certainly not as quick to disconnect as an actual connector, but then how often do you remove the elevator or tail of your airplane?

I am considering this approach, but may also just use a 0.062 pitch mini molex as they are fairly robust and small, but not weatherproof.  A 5 pin Weatherpack or Metripack is weatherproof, but much bulkier.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jun 11, 2021, at 6:41 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> (ceengland7(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Machined subD pins should work fine; if needed strip twice as much and double the wire before inserting in the pin. If you want them 'orderly', use a 9 pin housing; otherwise just use heat shrink over each mated pair.

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net (kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Greetings,

I’m in the process of installing an MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator, and am wondering what the best way is to connect the five 26 gauge leads coming out of the actuator to the corresponding 26 gauge five wire control cable that will be routed up to the cockpit.  The company used to offer a small, round pin connector for that purpose, but not any more.  Would like to be able to disconnect the actuator rather than cut solder joints, if possible.  Any suggestions for a connector for fine wires like that appreciated.

Tom Barter

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_1956570227212391193_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Dave Saylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

For those tiny wires I like to use crimp-type D-sub pins and sockets.
Stagger the joints and heat-shrink each one, then heat-shrink all five.
They don't need to be in a housing. It makes a fairly small and manageable
bulge. I think Bob has a write-up on this technique.

--Dave

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net>
wrote:

[quote] Greetings,

appreciated.

Tom Barter

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

Transition away from 26 gauge as soon as possible and use a 9 pin D-sub as a connector
Solder the 26g wires from the servo and then crimp 22g for the rest of the run.
Peter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Tom Barter
Sent: 11 June 2021 23:22
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections

Greetings,

Tom Barter

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

At 11:04 PM 6/11/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
For those tiny wires I like to use crimp-type D-sub pins and sockets. Stagger the joints and heat-shrink each one, then heat-shrink all five. They don't need to be in a housing. It makes a fairly small and manageable bulge. I think Bob has a write-up on this technique.

The last frame of this comic-book describes
this technique:

https://tinyurl.com/c5v2xvm

. . . and yes, those 26AWG leads are of questionable
design integrity. I've spoken with Ray-Allen folks
at OSH about this numerous times 20+ years ago
only to be rebuffed. So be it. It's their product.
But anything less than 22AWG wire in the airframe
bundles only increases fabrication labor and risk,
it's not good practice in the GA industry.

Raytheon-Beech DID use quite a bit of 24AWG wire
in Model 390 airframe bundles. Assembly line folks
hated the stuff but it DID save some weight in a very
complex airplane (Premier). For our purposes
any benefits secured by the use of tiny wires
are washed out by degradation of robustness.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections Reply with quote

We’ve been using that method for a long time, and in fact made a quick video of it (full credit to Bob Nuckolls)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8DCvBV2V4M

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of David Saylor
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2021 11:05 PM
To: aeroelectric-list <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Re: MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator connections

For those tiny wires I like to use crimp-type D-sub pins and sockets.  Stagger the joints and heat-shrink each one, then heat-shrink all five.  They don't need to be in a housing. It makes a fairly small and manageable  bulge.  I think Bob has a write-up on this technique.

--Dave

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM Tom Barter <kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net (kesleyelectric(at)iowatelecom.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Greetings,

I’m in the process of installing an MAC/Ray Allen trim actuator, and am wondering what the best way is to connect the five 26 gauge leads coming out of the actuator to the corresponding 26 gauge five wire control cable that will be routed up to the cockpit.  The company used to offer a small, round pin connector for that purpose, but not any more.  Would like to be able to disconnect the actuator rather than cut solder joints, if possible.  Any suggestions for a connector for fine wires like that appreciated.

Tom Barter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: