Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compressor charging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

I have flown behind two M14Ps recently and the pressure replenishment was different. One of them with less than 200 hours, the pressure system would charge during idle (40% RPM). On the other, with 620 hours, the pressure seemed to only charge in flight. Is this normal or will the compressor need replacement soon?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

In our experience, the compressor is the weakest link in the M 14 engine, and many become much less effective in less than 500 hours. This is not helped since some, when overhauling the compressors simply put in new sets of piston rings rather than new cylinders which we feel are often required. This is an expensive exercise; cylinders and indeed new pistons can be difficult to find. But a good compressor will certainly charge at 40%, and I can totally understand that a worn compressor needs to be turning at higher rpm – i.e. in flight – to charge.

Another very important point is that the compressor is working very hard simply because it is charging the system until the release-valve blows off; pressure reduces and then it starts working again. It is so much better to modify your aircraft and bring the water drain valve from the firewall into the cockpit with the water drain exit going through the floor of the aircraft. In this way you start the engine with the water drain firmly shut; after take off, the pressure builds up to its normal maximum, then you open the water drain and the compressor, although still operating is working totally off load and under dramatically less strain and will last far longer!
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Thanks, Richard. These both have the compressor bypass (water drain as you call it) valve fitted already, but good info to know about the 500 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Of course, all Sukhoi and Yak have the water drain which collects water from the air that has been compressed. In passing far too many Western pilots do not drain this at least every day if not every flight and that is why they get corrosion in their pneumatic systems! But the point I was making is that it is an extremely good idea to move the water drain tap into the cockpit rather than on the firewall. This means that the drain can be opened when, after takeoff, pressure is up to normal maximum and this then leaves the compressor to work without any load which will dramatically extend its life. Of course you do need to remember to shut the tap before landing!
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

While I agree 100% with the rationale of opening the water drain during flight, I am not a proponent of them because I have seen far too many push/pull cables connected to the water drain NOT able to fully close the valve on the water drain during flight after they've been opened to relieve the work load of the compressor.  That scenario makes it impossible to recharge the air system during flight. In fact, I would hazard a guess, of the ones that I've looked at, 50% of them are questionable about closing during flight once it's been opened. And all it takes is a very minute opening (read not fully closed) to cause the compressor not to recharge the air system.
Just my 2 cents.
Dennis

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 9:53:19 AM EDT, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard Goode" <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)>

Of course, all Sukhoi and Yak have the water drain which collects water from the air that has been compressed. In passing far too many Western pilots do not drain this at least every day if not every flight and that is why they get corrosion in their pneumatic systems! But the point I was making is that it is an extremely good idea to move the water drain tap into the cockpit rather than on the firewall. This means that the drain can be opened when, after takeoff, pressure is up to normal maximum and this then leaves the compressor to work without any load which will dramatically extend its life. Of course you do need to remember to shut the tap before landing!

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS

e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)

www.russianaeros.com

--

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

I am obviously not making myself clear! I certainly would not recommend a system of pushrods or cables going through the firewall to turn the water drain tap. What we do is to move the entire water drain tap into the cockpit, typically just below the pilot seat so the tap can easily be opened or closed from the seat. Then the water drain – obviously a small metal tube – extends through the floor of the aircraft. Like this, the opening and shutting of the tap is totally positive as it would be on the firewall.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: 01 June 2021 15:22
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Compressor charging

While I agree 100% with the rationale of opening the water drain during flight, I am not a proponent of them because I have seen far too many push/pull cables connected to the water drain NOT able to fully close the valve on the water drain during flight after they've been opened to relieve the work load of the compressor. That scenario makes it impossible to recharge the air system during flight. In fact, I would hazard a guess, of the ones that I've looked at, 50% of them are questionable about closing during flight once it's been opened. And all it takes is a very minute opening (read not fully closed) to cause the compressor not to recharge the air system.

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 9:53:19 AM EDT, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard Goode" <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)>

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS

www.russianaeros.com

--

kiwi679

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

I had the system Richard describes in my Sukhoi. Worked like a charm.I’m going to do the same with my Yak.
rgds Stephen[quote]On 1 Jun 2021, at 16:58, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:
I am obviously not making myself clear! I certainly would not recommend a system of pushrods or cables going through the firewall to turn the water drain tap. What we do is to move the entire water drain tap into the cockpit, typically just below the pilot seat so the tap can easily be opened or closed from the seat. Then the water drain – obviously a small metal tube – extends through the floor of the aircraft. Like this, the opening and shutting of the tap is totally positive as it would be on the firewall.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of A. Dennis SavareseSent: 01 June 2021 15:22To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Re: Re: Compressor charging

While I agree 100% with the rationale of opening the water drain during flight, I am not a proponent of them because I have seen far too many push/pull cables connected to the water drain NOT able to fully close the valve on the water drain during flight after they've been opened to relieve the work load of the compressor. That scenario makes it impossible to recharge the air system during flight. In fact, I would hazard a guess, of the ones that I've looked at, 50% of them are questionable about closing during flight once it's been opened. And all it takes is a very minute opening (read not fully closed) to cause the compressor not to recharge the air system.

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 9:53:19 AM EDT, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS

www.russianaeros.com

--

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Now THAT I think is a great idea. I would definitely support that.

And no, that was not clear to me in your first post.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

[quote]On Jun 1, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

<![endif]--> Clean DocumentEmail false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE {9686707A-5763-4B56-8B82-98F4902B2F91} 2321919757424 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: 01 June 2021 15:22
Subject: Re: Re: Compressor charging

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS

Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120  Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129

www.russianaeros.com

--

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

I’ll bet it did. Mounted as Richard described would be a great option.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Jun 1, 2021, at 12:44 PM, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

Now THAT I think is a great idea. I would definitely support that.

And no, that was not clear to me in your first post.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

>> On Jun 1, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:
>>
> 
> I am obviously not making myself clear! I certainly would not recommend a system of pushrods or cables going through the firewall to turn the water drain tap. What we do is to move the entire water drain tap into the cockpit, typically just below the pilot seat so the tap can easily be opened or closed from the seat. Then the water drain – obviously a small metal tube – extends through the floor of the aircraft. Like this, the opening and shutting of the tap is totally positive as it would be on the firewall

stephen.hayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor charging Reply with quote

richard.goode(at)russiana wrote:
--

After chatting with Richard a year or so ago, I did exactly this, using SS paintball (yes, I know, from China) high pressure lines, and a swagelok valve in the cockpit. It is awesome to release the snot from there, and to unload the compressor. However, I have now ONCE forgotten to close the valve upon entering the pattern. So, one has to change their flow/checklist... I also only open the valve if going on a longer flight, not just some local work.

Snot_1_firewall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.66 KB
 Viewed:  6084 Time(s)

Snot_1_firewall.jpg

Snot_2_cockpit_valve.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.98 KB

Snot_2_cockpit_valve.jpg

Snot_3_belly_exit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.68 KB

Snot_3_belly_exit.jpg

http://selfsynchronize.com/hayne/plane/cj6.asp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Yes, over the years we've installed the systems on many Sukhoi and Yak; it is (almost) full proof, and really does extend the life of the compressor, which, in my view, is the weakest link in the M 14 engine!

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

easy_driver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor charging Reply with quote

there is a reason why sump bottles are located near compressor heads. by moving it away you turn the air line into a sump.

instead of reinventing a wheel - put back AD-50 charge controller. it is on the original air system diagram.

Ttail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Stephen, when you action your snot valve in the cockpit, what do you see on your Main Air gauge ... I mean what happens ?

Last edited by Ttail on Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Could you please explain that in a little more detail please?  The 3 feet of air line before the standard sump is not a sump. But if  it is 6 feet long it becomes the sump?

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/11/21 4:18 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Yak-List: Re: Compressor charging

--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" <thatmail(at)yahoo.com>there is a reason why sump bottles are located near compressor heads. by moving it away you turn the air line into a sump.instead of reinventing a wheel - put back AD-50 charge controller. it is on the original air system diagram.

easy_driver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor charging Reply with quote

i would guess it's longer than 6 feet. and i would dare to postulate that air moving through small diameter thin-walled tube would loose its temperature. ( design of a heat exchanger )

but if someone wants to experiment - who am i to judge...

markbitterlich(at)embarqm wrote:
Could you please explain that in a little more detail please?� The 3 feet of air line before the standard sump is not a sump. But if� it is 6 feet long it becomes the sump?

Date: 7/11/21 4:18 PM (GMT-05:00)

--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" <thatmail>there is a reason why sump bottles are located near compressor heads. by moving it away you turn the air line into a sump.instead of reinventing a wheel - put back AD-50 charge controller. it is on the original air system diagram.

kiwi679

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

Nothing. The Sukhoi only had one small bottle to start the engine.

regards
Stephen

Quote:
On 12 Jul 2021, at 01:04, Ttail <ttail(at)internode.on.net> wrote:

Stephen, when you action your snot valve in the cockpit in valve what do you see on your Main Air guage ... I mean what happens ?

--------
Sean Trestrail
ttail[at]internode.on.net

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502797#502797

markbitterlich(at)embarqm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

Well,  I suppose it stopped being an experiment when it was tried and worked on a number of aircraft. 

The interesting thing is that there is a very low volume of air moving through the tube and if the snot valve is left open after the bottle fills, the air charge is vented out a drain on every output pulse taking condensed water and light oil with it. It also saves wear and tear on the compressor and pressure relief valve. 
The AD-50 is not typically available, weighs a lot more and was not typically used on any of these aircraft except the 18T. It is a nice piece of equipment though, I have one but decided not to install it in my 50. 
Another good method is to use an electrically controlled dump valve, spring loaded closed. But the cheapest remains Richard's method.
Mark
Date: 7/11/21 11:11 PM (GMT-05:00)

--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" <thatmail(at)yahoo.com>

i would guess it's longer than 6 feet. and i would dare to postulate that air moving through small diameter thin-walled tube would loose its temperature. ( design of a heat exchanger )

but if someone wants to experiment - who am i to judge...
markbitterlich(at)embarqm wrote:
Quote:
Could you please explain that in a little more detail please?� The 3 feet of air line before the standard sump is not a sump. But if� it is 6 feet long it becomes the sump?

Date: 7/11/21  4:18 PM  (GMT-05:00)

--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" there is a reason why sump bottles are located near compressor heads. by moving it away you turn the air line into a sump.instead of reinventing a wheel - put back AD-50 charge controller. it is on the original air system diagram.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502799#502799
_-============================================================
_-=          - The Yak-List Email Forum -
_-= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse
_-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,
_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
_-=
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

There is no reason that the main air pressure would change at all. The system has a non-return valve between the compressor and the tank, and the gauge is measuring tank pressure. So when you release the water-drain, all you're doing is to let out the water and the small amount of air that is in the drain system.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

kiwi679

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

As usual Richard is correct. There was no change.
I’ve sold the Sukhoi now so can’t give you a detailed description of the set up. But it worked perfectly.

[quote] On 12 Jul 2021, at 09:28, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

There is no reason that the main air pressure would change at all. The system has a non-return valve between the compressor and the tank, and the gauge is measuring tank pressure. So when you release the water-drain, all you're doing is to let out the water and the small amount of air that is in the drain system.

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

--

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Compressor charging Reply with quote

What Richard is telling you is that the drain works exactly the same as the original drain. It (the drain) is just relocated to a more convenient location.
Dennis

On Monday, July 12, 2021, 3:30:20 AM EDT, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS

www.russianaeros.com

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: