Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mod60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

Hi all

Curious has anyone photos or advise on mod 60 float gauge installation on a pre installed tank. Reading the mod it looks like fuel sender is fitted in the headset locker....which would be challenging to say the least ?

Any tips / tricks from anyone that has it don, is there any location where the sender be fitted just outside of the headset locker (towards to centreline)

Kind Regards
Eoin

Get Outlook for iOS

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

I'd recommend a non-intrusive gauge:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/belitefuel10-05866.php?clickkey=1345778
I have one on my Hummelbird, and am in process of installing another on my Europa.  The deep Europa tank makes for accurate operation. Just install at the fuel drain near the tank outlet.
Output is a simple 0-5V, and calibration is at 0,1/4,1/2,3/4,and full.

I did need to install a second tank pitot (vent), but plummed to the static-side of the pressure transducer (epoxied a small pipe over the vent hole), to eliminate low readings at speed.  Works a treat.
Cheers,
Pete

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 4:35 PM Eoin Maguire <EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com (EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi all

Curious has anyone photos or advise on mod 60 float gauge installation on a pre installed tank. Reading the mod it looks like fuel sender is fitted in the headset locker....which would be challenging to say the least ?

Any tips / tricks from anyone that has it don, is there any location where the sender be fitted just outside of the headset locker (towards to centreline)

Kind Regards 
Eoin 

Get Outlook for iOS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

I put a fuel sender in and my advice is dont do it.   

Imo the sight gauge is more than adequate.  Infact i tend to pay more attention to my flight time that the fuel gauge.
Also as happened to me, eventually the seal will crystalize and the tank leaks.    Replacing it is a bugger of a job.
Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 16:31 Eoin Maguire <EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com (EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi all

Kind Regards 
Eoin 

Get Outlook for iOS

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

I agree with not punching any holes in the tank..... and why I really like the well-functioning belite pressure probe
cheers,
Pete

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Imo the sight gauge is more than adequate.  Infact i tend to pay more attention to my flight time that the fuel gauge.
Also as happened to me, eventually the seal will crystalize and the tank leaks.    Replacing it is a bugger of a job.
Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 16:31 Eoin Maguire <EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com (EoinMaguire(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi all

Kind Regards 
Eoin 

Get Outlook for iOS

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

Pete,

Looks good . . . . . What sort of gauge did you use and approx cost please?

Also, does anyone know if there is such a thing as clear tubing that is
fuel PROOF and stays transparent for long term please?

Thanks
Kingsley in Oz.

On 09.03.21 7:41 am, Pete Zut wrote:
Quote:
I'd recommend a non-intrusive gauge:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/belitefuel10-05866.php?clickkey=1345778
<https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/belitefuel10-05866.php?clickkey=1345778>

I have one on my Hummelbird, and am in process of installing another
on my Europa.  The deep Europa tank makes for accurate operation. Just
install at the fuel drain near the tank outlet.

Output is a simple 0-5V, and calibration is at 0,1/4,1/2,3/4,and full.

I did need to install a second tank pitot (vent), but plummed to the
static-side of the pressure transducer (epoxied a small pipe over the
vent hole), to eliminate low readings at speed.  Works a treat.

Cheers,
Pete

eoinmaguire(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

Hi all 

Thanks for the input, has anyone actually completed it, and had a positive experience installing it and using it? 

Sight gauge and flight time work ok...but we have a group of 5 flying the aircraft and we find it can be a touch off. Mainly we use flight time as a better gauge (fuel at start- fuel used)...but a more reliable system would be better. 

We have the gauge and as part of the kit we bought , would prefer not to have to invest in any more we can avoid it, we have spend a significant sum this winter (engine, andair fuel valve, tyres, fuel pump, hose replacement etc)...saying all that, if the float gauge is a terrible idea I’ve no problem leaving it and sticking with the sight gauge and maths ! 

Kind Regards
Eoin 

Quote:
On 8 Mar 2021, at 22:09, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

I agree with not punching any holes in the tank..... and why I really like the well-functioning belite pressure probe
cheers,
Pete

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

Quote:

Hi all

Kind Regards 
Eoin 

Get Outlook for iOS

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

In my hummel i reworked Belite’s to fit, in the europa i rolled my own led, but any 0-5v will do.

Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:08 PM, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.au> wrote:

Pete,

Looks good . . . . . What sort of gauge did you use and approx cost please?

Also, does anyone know if there is such a thing as clear tubing that is fuel PROOF and stays transparent for long term please?

Thanks
Kingsley in Oz.

> On 09.03.21 7:41 am, Pete Zut wrote:
> I'd recommend a non-intrusive gauge:
> https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/belitefuel10-05866.php?clickkey=1345778 <https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/inpages/belitefuel10-05866.php?clickkey=1345778>
>
> I have one on my Hummelbird, and am in process of installing another on my Europa. The deep Europa tank makes for accurate operation. Just install at the fuel drain near the tank outlet.
>
> Output is a simple 0-5V, and calibration is at 0,1/4,1/2,3/4,and full.
>
> I did need to install a second tank pitot (vent), but plummed to the static-side of the pressure transducer (epoxied a small pipe over the vent hole), to eliminate low readings at speed. Works a treat.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete
>

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mod60 Reply with quote

Pete,

The problem with the BeLite probe is that it is not a differential pressure transducer. The tank vent faces into the airstream and pressurizes the tank. The amount of pressure varies with airspeed. While the amount of pressure from the vent is small, the weight of fuel is also quite small. This will affect the calibration.

I have been using this method of measuring fuel level for many years. I started with the system Tony K from NZ published around 2000. Tony specified a differential pressure transducer. Over the years I have upgraded with newer transducers. After one of my upgrades I couldn't figure out why the calibration in flight was different than that on the ground until I realized about the vent pressure. Changing to a differential transducer solved the problem. I am currently using MPXV4006DP transducers. Since they are not rated for fuel, I use a loop of tubing to force a column of air between the transducer and the liquid.

I agree with Will Daniell, having a tank sensor is not terribly useful. Since the Rotax only uses about 5 gph, you need accuracy of 1 gal to judge 12 minute endurance. That's difficult. The better solution is to use the "main" tank and as it gets low, monitor fuel pressure. When fuel pressure starts to drop, switch tanks. You can easily do this, especially with an EFIS, and the engine won't miss a beat. Then you have the 3 gal in the reserve side, roughly 30 minutes to land.

As always, just my opinion and experience.

Jim Butcher

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mod60 Reply with quote

Kingsley,

Tygon SE200 has a liner that is not affected by gasoline. Unfortunately, if you bend or kink the tubing, the liner will be damaged. For our sight gauge, we use SE200 that we then insert into clear plastic tubing to protect the SE200. It works well and has been in service for over 10 years.

Jim & Heather

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

As per my original reply, i added an equivalent pitot feeding the static port of the belite sensor on both aircraft. Easypeasy and works great. Fuel rated sensor. Quite accurate. Satisfied with both.

Fwiw,
Cheers,
Pete Smile

Quote:
On Mar 9, 2021, at 12:09 PM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net> wrote:

Pete,

The problem with the BeLite probe is that it is not a differential pressure transducer. The tank vent faces into the airstream and pressurizes the tank. The amount of pressure varies with airspeed. While the amount of pressure from the vent is small, the weight of fuel is also quite small. This will affect the calibration.

I have been using this method of measuring fuel level for many years. I started with the system Tony K from NZ published around 2000. Tony specified a differential pressure transducer. Over the years I have upgraded with newer transducers. After one of my upgrades I couldn't figure out why the calibration in flight was different than that on the ground until I realized about the vent pressure. Changing to a differential transducer solved the problem. I am currently using MPXV4006DP transducers. Since they are not rated for fuel, I use a loop of tubing to force a column of air between the transducer and the liquid.

I agree with Will Daniell, having a tank sensor is not terribly useful. Since the Rotax only uses about 5 gph, you need accuracy of 1 gal to judge 12 minute endurance. That's difficult. The better solution is to use the "main" tank and as it gets low, monitor fuel pressure. When fuel pressure starts to drop, switch tanks. You can easily do this, especially with an EFIS, and the engine won't miss a beat. Then you have the 3 gal in the reserve side, roughly 30 minutes to land.

As always, just my opinion and experience.

Jim Butcher

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=500907#500907

====================================

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.84 KB
 Viewed:  3000 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  293.12 KB

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.33 KB

image1.jpeg

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

AND....btw you can sort of make the endurance problem go away with an auxiliary tank.  Then you have 5 hours which is definitely more than I want to spend in a Europa and far more endurance than my internal tank.  Colombia to USA flew two up with the main and aux tank full plus ipads spare radio, tools and clothes at about 50lbs over MTOW and well within W&B.  Only on the Medellin Panama leg did we come close 3:46, 408 nm and we landed with a little over 5 gals.
I like to fly with more than enough fuel to take unforeseen events into account.  The extra fuel was certainly comforting.
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246
On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Quote:
As per my original reply, i added an equivalent pitot feeding the static port of the belite sensor on both aircraft. Easypeasy and works great. Fuel rated sensor. Quite accurate. Satisfied with both.

Fwiw,
Cheers,
Pete Smile

> On Mar 9, 2021, at 12:09 PM, h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43(at)att.net (butcher43(at)att.net)> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <butcher43(at)att.net (butcher43(at)att.net)>
>
> Pete,
>
> The problem with the BeLite probe is that it is not a differential pressure transducer.  The tank vent faces into the airstream and pressurizes the tank.  The amount of pressure varies with airspeed.  While the amount of pressure from the vent is small, the weight of fuel is also quite small. This will affect the calibration. 
>
> I have been using this method of measuring fuel level for many years.  I started with the system Tony K from NZ published around 2000.  Tony specified a differential pressure transducer. Over  the years I have upgraded with newer transducers.  After one of my upgrades I couldn't figure out why the calibration in flight was different than that on the ground until I realized about the vent pressure.  Changing to a differential transducer solved the problem.  I am currently using MPXV4006DP transducers.  Since they are not rated for fuel, I use a loop of tubing to force a column of air between the transducer and the liquid.
>
> I agree with Will Daniell, having a tank sensor is not terribly useful.  Since the Rotax only uses about 5 gph, you need accuracy of 1 gal to judge 12 minute endurance.   That's difficult.  The better solution is to use the "main" tank and as it gets low, monitor fuel pressure.  When fuel pressure starts to drop, switch tanks.  You can easily do this, especially with an EFIS, and the engine won't miss a beat.  Then you have the 3 gal in the reserve side, roughly 30 minutes to land.
>
> As always, just my opinion and experience.
>
> Jim Butcher
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=500907#500907
>
>
>
>
>
>
===========
===========
===========
===========
===========

kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Mod60 Reply with quote

Many thanks Jim.  I'll check out if that product is available over
here.  My sight gauge tubing takes a torturous path however so that may
present a problem but it is worth investigating.

Thanks again
Kingsley

do not archive

On 10.03.21 3:07 am, h&amp;jeuropa wrote:
Quote:

Kingsley,

Tygon SE200 has a liner that is not affected by gasoline. Unfortunately, if you bend or kink the tubing, the liner will be damaged. For our sight gauge, we use SE200 that we then insert into clear plastic tubing to protect the SE200. It works well and has been in service for over 10 years.

Jim & Heather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: